Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

High Beam bulbs on JMD STi HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 01:01 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon
Question High Beam bulbs on JMD STi HIDs

any experience with the quality or color temp of the OEM high beam bulbs on the JDM STi HID lamps?

I will be installing a setof JDM STi HIDs (newer reflectors- NOT projectors) and was thinking that perhaps I should change the HB bulbs to something like a PIAA eXtreme or even just a SilverStar. Just for consistency of color.

Same with the factory fogs- would change those to a slightly higher temp color bulb in 5000+K range.

thanx,
norm
Old 06-27-2005, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
I would just leave the high beam alone. Its rarely used and if you were to change the bulb it would be just for cosmetic reasons.

As for the fog lights, you want a light that is more yellow than blue. Again, change them if you want them to look better and match the headlights but they work better if you run the stock bulbs or something similar.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:35 PM

thanks for the suggestion.

I forgot you "city boys" don't use your high beams much.
I live in a less populated area and use mine all the time. In fact, I'm also installing PIAA 1000x driving lights, as I've done on my other cars. They have about 5000' reflective distance and provide a great amount of WHITE light to the road. (more of a "pencil beam" type driving lights).

Aux. lights are absolutely ESSENTIAL if you do any high speed night driving b/c you really risk overdriving your stock headlights. (to calculate: Find out how far your lights reach (in feet). Convert speed in miles/hour to feet/sec and then you can calculate how long it would take you to travel that many feet (distance feet/ft-sec = time) and then use that to figure in how much reaction time you have. Not much if your going 100+ mph on a dark country road.

norm
Old 06-28-2005, 01:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by DrNorm
Just for consistency of color
thats what lead me to believe that you wanted them to match just for look.

sounds like you need a set of driving lights, but your alreay on top of that. just get a set to replace your fogs since the fog light range is tiny compared to a set of driving lights.

as for the highs dont get anything that has a tint on the bulb. USDM silverstar and piaa bulbs come with a bluish tint that filters out the yellow in the light and only lets out the white and blue. your actually getting less light compared to the stock blub.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:22 PM

yes- you're absolutely right about the "tint" on the SilverStars and PIAA bulbs. Nevertheless, I have used both with quite good results. I have some SilverStars on one car (they are much cheaper than PIAAs, which tend to run $60-80/set) and although there may indeed be some loss of output, the color temp is quite nice (very "white"- prob in 5000K range) and I think it is superior to a stock halogen bulb. I have the PIAA extreme white and another set of similar PIAA headlight bulbs on a different car and like them very much- only other alternative would be to go to HIDs anyway- which is what I'm doing for my WRX. I've used PIAA lamps and bulbs for many years and have always liked them. Hella and Cibie (if they still exist) are well respected brands, too.

As far as the fog lights, they are for a different purpose. Although I tend to use them in everyday (everynight?) driving they are not a substitute for a driving light (and vice versa). They specifically have a very wide, low beam pattern to decrease the amount of reflected light from fog. They work great for lighting up curbs, etc. but are not very useful for high speed driving. Since I also deal with a lot of fog and winter storms, I don't want to replace them.

Thanks for your suggestions- I appreciate you're thoughts on this. I've been messing with auxillary lighting stuff for 25 yrs and always choose to err on the side of overkill (esp. since I have crappy night vision!)- I've never regretted it.
norm