Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:47 PM

Car Info: 07 Wrx
Question HIDs?

I was wondering what type of HIDs i should buy. I want brighter lights, i cant see **** on the road and i gotta highbeam alotta times on the road at night. Just wanted some opinions from people who have them on their subbys. I gotta 07 wrx and i would like to hear some input!! thank you!!!

Gene.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:52 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Well, before spending money on HIDs, have you tried buying brighter halogen bulbs? Or maybe your lights need to be re-aimed?
Old 06-11-2008, 06:03 PM

Hmm - yea, i thought about halogens, but i always liked how the HIDs lookd from inside and outside the car. My lights need to be reaimed also...but **** it imma just get HIDs hahah. Any suggestions? =)
Old 06-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
well... 4800K is stock sti... ive heard 6500k is the brightest u can get before u start to lose light over color...

hope that helps..
Old 06-11-2008, 07:10 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
+1 For brighter Halogens. Try out the Osram Nightbreaker +90's. Supposed to be the brightest (see legal) halogens out.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:41 PM

My biggest suggestion, is if you're going to do this, do it right. I hate people who think getting an HID kit and putting it into their stock housings are fine. It blinds everyone because the light goes off in all directions blinding not only the people coming towards you, but anyone going the same direction in front of you. Make sure you get HID projector housings, or if the STi headlights are direct swap, that's another option.

As for temps, I prefer 5000k vs something in the 4000ks. I like the slightly blueish tinge to it. My HID kit that I have with my EDM HIDs were from Kalex. The distributor is in North Milpitas, so pretty close if you live in Fremont.

623 Arbor Way Milpitas, CA 95035 USA.

kevin@kalex.us
Tel: (408) 661-2668
Fax : (408) 268-6410

I've had them for over 3 years, and the only problem I've had is a bulb went out after a guy tried to break into my car and thought ripping my headlights out would stop my alarm (so, basically not the company's fault). I'm not sure if they've updated their kit, but I had to rig my own relay system with a Radio Shack relay which can be slightly confusing, but pretty easy once you see how the relay works.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:57 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
putting HIDs into a bugeye headlight will not make it go everywhere, and will get better lighting if done right, the lighting will go into the same direction as would with a normal bulb(non hids) the only thing different will be the light out put..
Old 06-11-2008, 09:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by dSpec
+1 For brighter Halogens. Try out the Osram Nightbreaker +90's. Supposed to be the brightest (see legal) halogens out.
+1 for the osram nightbreakers.

i got mine a few months ago and love how bright they are.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by wrxisthebest
putting HIDs into a bugeye headlight will not make it go everywhere, and will get better lighting if done right, the lighting will go into the same direction as would with a normal bulb(non hids) the only thing different will be the light out put..
http://autotips.plentycar.com/convert-your-car-to-hid/

Originally Posted by website
HID lighting on vehicles other than those that come to stock is now illegal in the USA. The reason is improper use of HID lighting systems and their unintentional blinding of drivers. A lot of inexperienced drivers put HID into halogen headlights, obviously not designed for such a system. Most halogen headlights use reflector type housing. Light from a halogen bulb is directed out to the reflective pieces of the headlight housing and than reflected onto the road, whereas the lighting from an HID bulb is focused directly onto the road. If the HID bulbs are put into a reflective type housing the light will be directed incorrectly and the focus of the HID bulbs are misdirected as well. In this case the light is being directed elsewhere and actually being directed onto other motorists.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Originally Posted by website
Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective—not to mention legal—beam pattern. How come? Because of the very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.

A halogen bulb has a cylindrical light source: the glowing filament. The space immediately surrounding the cylinder of light is completely dark, and so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is along the edges of the cylinder of light. The ends of the filament cylinder fade from bright to dark. An HID bulb, on the other hand, has a crescent-shaped light source -- the arc. It's crescent-shaped because as it passes through the space between the two electrodes, its heat causes it to try to rise. The space immediately surrounding the crescent of light glows in layers...the closer to the crescent of light, the brighter the glow. The ends of the arc crescent are the brightest points, and immediately beyond these points is completely dark, so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is at the ends of the crescent of light.
I beg to differ. If you look at correctly installed HID lights, they cut off in a very distinct line, while normal halogens fade. There is a HUGE difference. It's people who think like that which cause me to be blinded at night.

Last edited by STi-owns-evo; 06-11-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:23 PM

Car Info: 06 GDB dirty white
Originally Posted by Rescuer
+1 for the osram nightbreakers.

i got mine a few months ago and love how bright they are.
could you post a pic? i would like to see em. i have PIAA ones.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:02 AM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
6000k would be perfect. 8000k would be start going on blue. but still look good. anything over 8000k is too much.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:17 AM

So - Sti-owns-evo - what kind of housing should i get then? what would you recommend i do? seeing you being all pro at this =D
Old 06-12-2008, 01:19 AM

Car Info: 07 WRX
Here's pics of my headlights when I got my HID kit. The ones on the right were PIAA 4300k halogen bulbs (slightly brighter than stock ones), and the ones on the right are 8000k HIDs.

Hope this helps your search in some way
Old 06-12-2008, 01:35 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
Originally Posted by Dnayukns
So - Sti-owns-evo - what kind of housing should i get then? what would you recommend i do? seeing you being all pro at this =D
Try finding a stock STi housing or something.

Even though 06-07 WRXs come with "projectors" they're made for halogen systems.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 AM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
Originally Posted by dSpec
Try finding a stock STi housing or something.

Even though 06-07 WRXs come with "projectors" they're made for halogen systems.
if the projectors in the 06-07 wrx's are anything like what i got on my legacy, then you'll probably have to open up your headlamp housings, and fill in the gap in the projector shield to eliminate that "flare" / "glare offset" you see from khizzles photograph of his hid's. The stock non-hid headlamps weren't really designed for it, so by running hid's w/o modifying that cut-off shield causes you to blind others on the road.

so in addition to filling in the cut-off shield, (still assuming your headlamps are similar enough to mines), you may need to aim your headlamps a tad bit lower (esp. on the drivers side), even w/ the shield plugged in, if your lamps are aimed high enough regardless, you're gonna blind someone on the road.

as far as hid's, there's a lot of great vendors on here and other carclubs selling off their hid kits. i'd recommend a kit somewhere in between 4000K - 6000K at highest... anything higher is just simply for looks and loses functionality.

btw.. pm'd you too.

Quick Reply: HIDs?