Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

HELP!!! How do you remove to replace frt sunroof legacy GTB wagon 1996

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 02:29 PM

Car Info: Subaru 1996 WRX Hatch ... Subaru 1996 GTB Legacy Wagon
HELP!!! How do you remove to replace frt sunroof legacy GTB wagon 1996

Hi Guys,

New forum user and I have a weeeeeeee problem.

I have 2 loverly Subaru's ... A 96 Silver WRX Hatch (wifes) and mine a 96 GTB Legacy Wagon!

A happy home of Sub's I must say, matching silver! n always a agument on which to take out when we go as a family ... enough chat heres my problem.

My 1996 GTB Wagon has Twin Sunroofs. I havn't owned her long and are currently just being a pain and want to make her mint as possible! but the Front Sunroof has a little rust where glass meets weatherstrip and you can only purchase it as a complete glass!!!

My question is how do you remove the front sunroof without wreaking it?????

I have 2 local dismantlers over here in NZ with them still in a car but 1 guys has gone made with a knife as her beleives its sealed in from factory ... this is after he stripped roof lining out etc.

Can anyone help me with a easy way of removing and replacing the front glass????

I'm in the process of just cleaning up my GTB as she is original and a right babe

Any help greatly appresiated!!!!!!!

Cheers

Murray

p.s hopefully attached is a pic of my baby so you feel sorry for her n help me out
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2005, 02:51 PM

how bad is the rust? I would use some sand paper to sand the rust down, some acitone to remove the rest of the rust, tape it off, prime, and paint. Will look good as now and only you will notice the work.... I've done it on the sun room metal outside on our sunroof bc the paint was peeling. looks good as new and cost all of 10 bucks...
Old 10-31-2005, 06:06 PM

Car Info: Subaru 1996 WRX Hatch ... Subaru 1996 GTB Legacy Wagon
Hi emyselfandi,

Yeh its not quite that simple ...

Rust is MINIMAL ... basically to explain it better the Front Sunroof glass as a little metal edge on it, around this edge goes a weatherstrip. The weatherstrip then is glued to the metal edge and to the sunroof glass itself.

The rust is the metal edge so it has made the weatherstrip brittle and no longer sit flat on the sunroof or the cars roof when down and not in use.

I know I can remove the weatherstrip and repair the metal edge but the weathershtrip is distroyed in the process and Subaru in their wisdom do not list the weatherstrip as a seperate item. You must buy a new sunroof glass ... so hence my question ... how do you remove the glass!

How that is a beta explainaion

Cheers Muz