Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Headlight problem...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 10:43 PM

Car Info: 99 Silver Impreza
Headlight problem...

I was in an accident and had the front end repaired. The fella installed the new headlight assembly ( you know, the clear beautiful lens one) which more or less matched the other clear one.

My problem is this, the headlight beam seems to be at a different level on the left side then the right.

The right side (undamaged side) is spread out wonderfully, at a higher level. Whereas the left side (repaired/new headlight assembly) is pointed downward more, and doesn't light the drivers side as clearly as I remember.

Is there an easy way to fix this? Is it adjusted somehow that I am missing? Or do I need to have the autobody person take a look and maybe adjust the way he has the headlight assembly in there?

I replaced both headlights with the typical 5100k bulb that I had before the accident, so I know it's not just a difference in headlight bulbs.

Please post or PM me with any help! It's very annoying to see two different beams when driving at night. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
You don't say what car you have but if the problem is vertical alignment, there is an adjustment at the back of the light assembly to move the beam up and down. Your owners manual should show where it is and describe the adjusting procedure, or you can just take it back to whoever installed the light and have them take care of it (it's their responsibility since they put the light in). It is also possible that the light wasn't properly positioned as you mention so that needs to be checked first before attempting an adjustment.
And what kind of "5100K" bulbs are those? If they are aftermarket "HID look" ones you need to be careful as those are known to cause the harnesses and connectors to overheat and melt.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:08 AM

Oh sorry, I posted about my car in tire section and thought I mentioned the type or car here as well as there.

I have a 2.2L, and as far as I understand the only correction in the back is for left / right alignment? Where is the one for up / down?

And the bulb is a Eurolite, and actually it's only 4100k, I double checked. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
I'm not familiar with your particular lights, but there *should* be a vertical adjustment. If there isn't and it's off that much something has to be wrong with either the light itself or how it was installed, assuming the panels it installs into are properly repaired and aligned.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:45 AM

99 2.2L Impreza

As far as I can see, there is one screw under a protective cap, and that is for left/right adjustment only. Is there a different screw I don't see that adjusts height?
Old 12-15-2003, 11:01 AM

I got bored and decided to take the entire assembly off the car and check it out.

Stupid me, the vertical adjustment is the top screw on that white piece that sticks out the back, on the opposite side of the horizontal adjustment which is covered with the metal cap.

Just use a philips head to adjust the height.