Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

glove box rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 10:21 PM

Car Info: 2005 impreza rs
glove box rattle

Hey I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if it's just me. The glove box on my 05 2.5rs rattles, if it's closed and i push on it there is a noticable gap on the left side. The right side seems snug but not the left. Anybody else notice this? Is there anyway to fix it or will the dealer cover this?
Old 12-27-2005, 12:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
This is an Impreza specific issue, so it's "normal." It happened on my bugeye; the dealer replaced it under warranty, but the replacement rattled too, so I finally accepted it as an idiosyncrasy of the car. It also happens on my new STI.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:19 AM

Ok thanks, herrjr. I'll have them replace it and just hope. I love my car, but there are a few really irritating characteristics, such as the rattles and road noise. The frameless doors make it so that it always sounds like my windows are cracked. Oh well, i'll just have to get used to it i guess.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:35 AM
Vew

Car Info: Silver 04 WRX
The window leak and glove box rattle just started this winter season. I never had a problem until the cold hit. I have an 04 WRX
Old 12-28-2005, 07:04 AM

I noticed the window leak after the winter hit too. The problem is that I'm in El Paso and winter isn't very cold here. I'm hoping that when i go home to Denver that the problem won't become more noticable.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:09 AM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
Not sure if it's exactly the same but this is what I did in my forester to make it go away:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4285
Old 12-28-2005, 08:59 AM

Car Info: 2001 WRB 2.5RS, Gold Prodrive P1's, Stromung Dual Tip, AEM SRI, Pink "i" fornt badge
I was going crazy trying to find what was rattleing now that you say that it is that dam glove box, I have the window leak also...
Old 12-29-2005, 02:12 AM
VIP Member

The window leak gets worse the faster you drive. It happened both on the bugeye and now on the STI. But the car makes up for it in other ways.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:50 AM

The glove box is actually a minor irritation compared to the window leak. I have an RS so the, fun factor, isn't as high as with the wrx or sti. Basically, since I'm cheap, i get the quirks of the car but not the fun-power to offset the quirks. Is there any adjustments that can be made to the door/window to lessen the noise?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:54 PM
VIP Member

Sorry, not that I know of. You could get the window lining-rubber replaced, but the since the car is brand new, this probably won't help you much. It's just a hidden cost of owning a Subaru, which is why you always should get a turbo model, since these types make the ownership experience as a whole most enjoyable. Yet, how many AWD cars can be found for under $20K? That to me seems to be the biggest point in your case. Just invest in a good sound system or a louder TBE.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:38 PM

A small adhesive backed felt pad from the hardware store on each side of the box frame where the box guides (ramp shaped ribs) contact the frame will eliminate the problem.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:50 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by blue5spdwrxwgn
A small adhesive backed felt pad from the hardware store on each side of the box frame where the box guides (ramp shaped ribs) contact the frame will eliminate the problem.
I haven't heard of this solution before. Pics please.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:59 AM

Bump I'd like to hear more on this solution as well.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:28 AM

Just an update, the dealer has ordered me a new glove box and a couple other things. I'm pretty dissapointed with my car. If I would have know about all of these little problems, I probably would have bought something else. Now I have the glove box rattle, both windows and seat belts squeel like crazy. I know these are things I can fix myself, but why am I having problems after only 12000 miles? I don't suppose there is anyway of trading in my car without taking a big financial hit.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:31 PM

Car Info: 93 GF2
As far as the window problem goes, at least on my 93 wagon, if you open the door then you can actually put the window up a little more which stops the problem. The only thing is that once you rol the window down again then youll have to open the door again to roll it up.

Quick Reply: glove box rattle