Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

which four point harnesses?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 11:29 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
which four point harnesses?

so, my new race seat should be here on wednesday and i need to figure out which four point harness to use . so, to all you people running aftermarket seats and harnesses whats the most practical set of four points that you can live with on a day to day basis that doesn't break the bank? Schroth? Sparco? please give me an explanation as to why as well, i'd appreciate it. no "just buy sparcos they rock" that doesn't help me.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
uhh just buy the sparco's there rock! lol umm i dont have 4 points but i know sparco makes some 4 point harnesses and there only like 89 bucks seems like a good deal and im sure there good. now they make differnt kinds of harnesses like they make ones that buckle in and some that bolt it so make sure to get the right one. just go to www.sparcousa.com and look at the ones they have. hope that helped.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:54 PM

i'm also debating 2" or 3" harnesses, any input on that front would also be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
bump
Old 04-12-2004, 02:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
dont know anything about the differnt sizes i thought they only made 3".
Old 04-12-2004, 02:16 PM

nope, Sparco and OMP both make 2" and 3" wide versions.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Schroth and Sabelt are both DOT and street legal, so if you're scared of grief from the po-po, they're the way to go.
As for width, someone once told me the pro's and cons of 2" vs 3", but I'm too dumb to remember right now... anyone care to enlighten us?
Also, Takata makes excellent harness, but they're not street legal.
And if you do get harnesses, I suggest getting the quick release latch too -- it'll release all points simultaneously if, God forbid, something less than wonderful happens
Old 04-12-2004, 06:23 PM

i'm not really concerned about whether or not the harnesses are DOT legal. i figure if the cop a) knows that they're not DOT approved or b) cares about that fact, i'm probably already in enough trouble that a little more will just be the icing on the cake.

i'm just making an educated guess here, but i would think that 3" harnesses would be safer in the event of an impact, simply due to their ability to spread the load of your body pushing against them over a larger surface area. i think that the stock belts are 2", and i'm pretty sure my seat will handle 3" no problem.

i've looked at the Takata harnesses, and even thought they're *~way~* JDM, they're also $150+ more than any comparable harness. if i spent that much, i could run a Sabelt or Willans six point (not that i'd want to for street use).

and yeah, a quick release is a must.

here are a couple of the ones i've been looking at:

http://www.curpiermotorsport.com/xca...&cat=34&page=1

http://www.curpiermotorsport.com/xca...&cat=42&page=1

for all intents and purposes, the Sparcos are just re-labeled Sabelts, for $10 more.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
yeah, a 3" belt would be a little easier on your body beacause it would disperse the load better in the case of an accident.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
i like takata's they only come in 3 tho, also williams? i think thats it something like that, 3 inch is required at events, like nasa and stuff, 2 inch will suffice in drag and small events
Old 04-12-2004, 10:24 PM

Willans, Simpson, and most of the dedicated race harnesses only come in 3", and are five or six point, which is serious overkill for street cars. how many of us would seriously buckle a sub belt? i sure wouldn't. i only really want four points that are going to hold me in the seat better, and suffice for auto-x and track days.

i think the Trust/Greddy stuff is too expensive for what you actually get, and is mostly for bling factor. i think i'm gonna go with a Sabelt setup, four points, 3" straps.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Good choice, dropkick muppet!
Old 04-13-2004, 05:20 PM

Good choice, dropkick muppet!

thanks, i'm hoping they'll work well.

The Trust harnesses are much less expensive than Takata. Dunno what Sabelts cost.

the cheapest that i found the Takatas for was something like $350. the Greddy/Trust harnesses were roughly $200, and were the 2" style with a standard automotive type release. my Sabelt cost $200 for the driver's side (my passengers can wait a bit longer ) for the 3" straps, with the quick release center buckle.

Quick Reply: which four point harnesses?