Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Cibie Oscar + driving lights from Rally Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 09:50 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
Cibie Oscar + driving lights from Rally Performance?

is anyone out there running the Cibies that RP sells? they're 130 watt driving lights that replace the stock fog lights, and extend a bit in front of the lower air dam. i do a lot of driving at really odd hours (i.e. 3am) on dark and twisty roads frequented by deer, and would like something more than the stock lights. i don't use the stock fogs very often, so this seems like a good solution. i'd appreciate any input from people running these, or similar setups.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:58 PM

c'mon, i can't be the only one here that wants to be able to vaporize bunny rabbits at 100 meters with my headlights...
Old 07-15-2003, 02:38 PM

i'll be interested to see what you think of them once you've got everything wired and have a chance to test them out. i'm particularly curious about the light pattern and how well they illuminate the banks and corners.

do they come with a harness that replaces the factory fog light harness? it'd be nice if you could just use the factory high beams on their own, and then switch the driving lights on using the factory fog light switch, is that what you're going for?
Old 07-15-2003, 03:30 PM

I don't know what the lights come with from Rally Performance, but, you can buy Cibie lights direct from Valeo/Sylvania at xesighting.com . They make several different versions of the Oscar lamps, and have remote switches. I wish I had a 2.5RS, it's hard to mount big lights on an L. BTW, they also show the lighting patterns of each lamp.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:40 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
muppet i took mine apart, and took that thing out in that covers the bulb, and put 100 watters in, i have no problems with them, i can see just fine at night.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:38 PM

I don't know what the lights come with from Rally Performance, but, you can buy Cibie lights direct from Valeo/Sylvania at xesighting.com
thanks, i'll check that out.

After reading other peoples posts, I decided the factory harness might melt with these and other aftermarket lights, so I definitely wanted a new harness or I would have made one. The harness is switched through the positive lead. (I think I have an older MRT harness, the new sets may have a different harness).
hmm, that might be a concern. did you find the info on looms melting here, or on the 'other' board? where did you get the harness?

muppet i took mine apart, and took that thing out in that covers the bulb, and put 100 watters in, i have no problems with them, i can see just fine at night.
i'm really looking for something that will provide a lot more range, and coverage on the banks (sides of the road) than i think that would provide. that said, do the stock lamps actually handle the 100w bulbs?
Old 07-18-2003, 08:56 AM

The info on melting wiring came from other posts and forums, not from my experience. However, on my jeep, I have melted cheap harnesses by upgrading lights, so I know that it is a possibility. I have also "burnt" lamp lenses by increasing the wattage.

The harness came with the lights and has considerably larger wiring than stock. It looks like every other aftermarket light harness, except that it was obviously fitted to the WRX (not a lot of extra wire to slop around, but enough to reach the lamps and battery without a problem) and it is much better quality than a discount auto parts place harness (connections are well done and wrapped, heavy gauge wire throughout). It is set up to work with any switched power to the relay or could be used with a switched ground.

I am going to try to get these running this evening, so I'll let you know more on Monday. I'm sure I would have these running without problem if I was not trying to get them to come on only when the factory fog lamp switch is depressed and the high beams are on, if I would switch themon/off through a tap on the switched ground on the foglight only, I would be done.

FYI the light housings press into place using grommets in the frame. They are not attached with screws or etc (there is an aiming adjustment screw). While they look and feel secure, and they could not just fall off, I am concerned about them popping loose on a rough ride (or popping loose from somebody taking them), so I am going to make a modification to the frame so I can run a screw from the light housing to the frame so that I feel more secure. John
i've never had a problem with melting harnesses in the past, which is why i was somewhat curious about it. i've only ever used Hella lights and harnesses, which i think is part of the reason that i've never had a problem. it sounds to me like there really isn't any danger of melting the harness that comes with the Cibie lights.

i'm surprised to hear that they don't actually bolt or screw into the frame, and simply press into a set of grommets. that doesn't strike me as the most secure mounting option available, but i suppose it can't be that bad if the stock fog lights are mounted in the same fashion. i've only ever had light hard mounted with bolts (on jeeps, like you) but they're exposed to a lot more vibration and impacts than a road going car.

i don't suppose you'd mind posting pics of the wiring harness modifications that you made to get the lights to only run with the fog switch and high beams on, would you?
Old 07-22-2003, 12:55 PM

Also, my experience with Jeeps is overbuild and don't do anything you can't fix yourself
amen to that!

any chance you might be able to post pics of the setup?