Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Can a remote starter be removed and replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 12:39 PM

Car Info: 2003 sonic yellow WRX, Vishnu Stage 1, Perin Inter
Can a remote starter be removed and replaced?

would it be possible to remove a remote starter and replace it with another model? I really don't care for the one I have now, and would like to get a compustar. I don't know how they are installed into the car, and i didn't know if they could be safely removed without screwing something up?
Old 03-17-2007, 01:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
You should be able to. Whether or not you will need to replace wiring harness for teh remote starter would really be the only question.

If not mistaken, the wiring set up for the remote starter is almost exactly like installing a turbo timer. There is a "Y" shaped wiring harness that jumps in on the ignition cylinder and "Y's" off to the remote starters control unit. There should also be a ground that goes to your emergency brake, and possibly something that goes to the clutch (sensor wise) so that the remote starter will not allow you to start while in gear.

Not 100% sure on this, but pretty close.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Extra care is required when installing a remote starter in a manual transmission car (assuming your car is MT as most WRX's are, if it's auto disregard this). Most remote starters are not designed for use with manuals and shops will generally not install them due to the liability issues. If you are going to mess with it yourself, be sure that the one you are planning to use has the necessary connections for safe use with an MT vehicle (relatively safe anyway, someone may still find a way to start it in gear).
The Subarus have a neutral sensor switch that should be used when installing a remote start, ideally your unit should have an input for this sensor.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:18 PM

Car Info: 2003 sonic yellow WRX, Vishnu Stage 1, Perin Inter
I have a remote starter currently installed. It is designed for a MT, I just don't like the short range and the cheaply constructed remote. I want to replace it with a compustar and I would only have it installed by a qualified dealer to make sure no problems would arise. I wasn't sure if it would even be possible to remove a unit and install another because of wiring issues.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Sure it's possible, the wiring connections will be similar so it's mostly a matter of disconnecting unit A and connecting unit B. Of course proper care and wiring techniques have to be used as with any installation.
You may have difficulty finding a dealer or shop willing to do the job on an MT, unless you already have one lined up.