Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Bright Lights in the Rear for Tailgaters..

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 07:23 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
Why not just set your back up lamps to get power w/ a switch? And put some of these in there:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...&threadid=1244

Way back when I was in HS I had a 68 Fairlane 500 Ragtop that the back up light switch went bad. I put in a toggle and when someone would come up behind me w/ the brights on I'd flick the switch Or for fun at a stop light I'd switch it on so people thought I was in reverse when I took off...
Old 01-22-2003, 09:22 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally posted by Peaty
Why not just set your back up lamps to get power w/ a switch? And put some of these in there:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...&threadid=1244

Way back when I was in HS I had a 68 Fairlane 500 Ragtop that the back up light switch went bad. I put in a toggle and when someone would come up behind me w/ the brights on I'd flick the switch Or for fun at a stop light I'd switch it on so people thought I was in reverse when I took off...
I like that Idea...it maintains the factory looks also...haha that would be great in a heavy RWD car...flick that switch, then floor it in drive (buring out for a couple of seconds) in the mean while the person behind u thinks ohh **** once that guy makes traction he is gonna plow right into me...
Old 01-22-2003, 09:25 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX | 95 GC
Lightbulb do it the euro way

Ever notice certain MB's, BMW and Audi's that have one really bright tail light (red) that is really annoying. Its their anti-tailgaiter light. I always thought it was broken until one of my friends mentioned that there's a switch for it.

although, I like the idea of using the reverse lights with a brighter bulb. I wonder if there is anyone resourceful out there that could figure it out and pass it along to those of us that are a little less technical.

TIA
Old 01-22-2003, 10:43 AM

Re: Re: do it the euro way

Originally posted by kilyung
You're just kidding right? That obnoxiously bright red light is the rear fog light required in all European cars. If you've ever driven on the expressways in Europe, you'd be VERY grateful for those bright red lights in the fog. Otherwise, you'd see HUGE pileups. Appears most American drivers don't understand how distracting those lights can be when there is no fog. I tend to drive with highbeams on for those people. One annoyance deserves another.

Hope I didn't just take the bait...
I've retrofitted a rear fog lamp in my RS. I only use it at the right times though. Yesterday I saw a Range Rover during the day w/ the rear fog on. It just pisses me off the people are that stupid.

I agree about using the high beams but the thing is they are so clueless they have no idea why you have them on. It makes me feel better though
Old 01-22-2003, 11:09 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Re: Re: Re: do it the euro way

Originally posted by Peaty
I've retrofitted a rear fog lamp in my RS. I only use it at the right times though. Yesterday I saw a Range Rover during the day w/ the rear fog on. It just pisses me off the people are that stupid.

I agree about using the high beams but the thing is they are so clueless they have no idea why you have them on. It makes me feel better though
can you see the fog lamp when its off or do u kinda have to look for it??
Old 01-22-2003, 11:13 AM

I have the install on our website (scoobymods). No you can't see it at all. I've sacrificed the drivers side back up lamp for the rear fog lamp. I got the idea from the Scoobynet board. Apparently this is somehting that is done across the pond sometimes.

Look here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=433

Old 01-22-2003, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX | 95 GC
Re: Re: do it the euro way

Originally posted by kilyung
You're just kidding right? That obnoxiously bright red light is the rear fog light required in all European cars. If you've ever driven on the expressways in Europe, you'd be VERY grateful for those bright red lights in the fog. Otherwise, you'd see HUGE pileups. Appears most American drivers don't understand how distracting those lights can be when there is no fog. I tend to drive with highbeams on for those people. One annoyance deserves another.

Hope I didn't just take the bait...
I guess I should have phrased that as "what they 'called' their anti-tailgating light.

For me, I was thinking of replacing a pair (one on each side) of rear tail lights with those new PIAA LEDS replacement. I just don't know how bright they are and/or if they will melt the lens housing.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:27 PM

I've put in upgraded bulbs in the rear cluster. Just a little more candlepower, not overpowering but definatly brighter. The metal is nickle plated too. Nice upgrade, my wife had to take the car to work and I watched it drive away. They look good.

Some info on them here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...&threadid=1235

At the bottom of the page
Old 01-24-2003, 07:54 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
hey there is another thing you can do, i caught my old man doing this, get yourself some of those manilla folders, and you can write messages on them to, it is very low tech but it is a real treat to see someones face when they cut you off, or worse are in front of you doing like the speedd limit or ten miles under it you write your message backwards and lay it up on the dash, they make the best facial expressions. but it is only good during the day.
after they move over you have to pull up next to them and have another sign handy and show them that one, smile and drive away laughing.
This way you can at least not put them into a ditch.