Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Autometer Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 03:49 PM

I see you do have the mech gauge, thats why it doesn't have a sending unit. Only the elect gauges have senders. Trust me the nylon tube will break over time from the heat. It happened to me cause I was using a nylon tube for my sending unit and it broke from being too brittle. I would suggest since you are running the tube directly to the gauge, go with a steel braided line or just get a elec gauge.

Just trying to help you out so you won't go through the bs i did.

Last edited by taerron; 04-22-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:12 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Exclamation thx

the gauge is mech, i did use the nylon tubing because that is what they gave me, i did make sure its away from any hot spots, i do appreciate the advice, now im on my final gauge the Air/fuel ratio.. if u got any info on doing that one for a wrx please let me know thx
Old 04-22-2005, 04:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Sure the gauge is working fine now, the problem is what happens over time as the lines and fittings are subject to oil pressure and heat along with the temperature variations and vibration from normal driving and engine operation. The longer that gauge is on your car the higher the chance that it will leak, especially with the cheap supplied lines and fittings. It's your car, and you're free to either heed or ignore the advice being given here, but we just don't want to see you come back in a few months and post "the line from my gauge exploded inside the car and made a mess", or worse "the line burst inside the engine and pumped out all the oil".
As for the A/F gauge, I hope you don't expect it to give useful readings because it won't. They tap into the rear 02 sensor which is behind the cats and also downstream in the exhaust, in addition to being a narrowband sensor. You'll get a nice light show with those gauges, nothing more.
For real A/F readings you need a gauge with a wideband sensor of its own that you mount in the manifold.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:36 PM

I agree, I have the A/F gauge also. It isn't very accurate on my 02 WRX. I'll be getting rid of mine very soon. My gauge reacts when I punch the gas(rich) and when I shift(lean) and thats about it. It is not a tuning aid by any standards. I thought it was a cool gauge to have, but it really doesn't function well.

Old 04-28-2005, 09:29 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
yup u guys were right, my nylon tube busted, so now i got a stainless steel one, it would have been nice if autometer informed me about this situation..
Old 04-28-2005, 10:30 PM

i agree, it would have been nice. at least you had an idea that it could happen. it happened to me as i was switching over to SS line. i removed the nylon tube and tried to stretch it straight for a measurement and "snap" it was over. we were only trying to help you out so you wouldn't go through the same thing.