Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

AutoDimming Mirror mod - too dark?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 04:45 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
AutoDimming Mirror mod - too dark?

My WRX is the first car I've ever been in with an auto-dimming compass mirror. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but for my own personal tastes, it seems to dim a little *too* much sometimes, almost becoming deep purplish - so much so that I can see the headlights of the cars behind me, but it becomes difficult to actually see the cars themselves (obviously worse when it's really dark out). So I tried this out and so far it seems to be working pretty well. The mirror still gets dark in response to a bright light, but not so much so that I can't see behind me anymore.

This has got to be one of the silliest "mods" I've ever done, but it works, and seems to work well, so I guess I shouldn't complain, but when you see the pic I think you'll understand what I mean (it's scotch tape)

Obviously you'll have to try it and see for yourselves if it works. I only used one layer of tape.
Attached Thumbnails AutoDimming Mirror mod - too dark?-scooby0014-copy.jpg  
Old 01-11-2004, 07:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
How long did the install take ? What knowledge of cars do you have to accomplish this ? in what timeframe ? All joking aside I used to have that on with Tinted windows and it was almost always that purply irredecent color. I just went to stock and sold my old one. Good idea though. . . . Cheers

WRX Rush
Old 01-12-2004, 05:18 AM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
The one thing I REALLY noticed with that dimming mirror is you can't tell if it's a police car behind you. No good!