Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Auto Climate Control and A/C on 2005 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 09:03 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX Sport Wagon
Question Auto Climate Control and A/C on 2005 WRX

I have this question about climate control system in auto mode on 2005 wrx. According to manual, Subaru recommends that all controls (except the temperature %) be set to auto. I’ve been trying to follow that recommendation. It’s been relatively cold recently and what I notice when I start driving is that the fully auto climate control would initially use only warm air, but then at some point it starts using A/C and does so until I stop driving (which is usually 15-20 min). Is it something you guys see when you drive your cars? I don’t feel like having A/C on for most of the time is a good thing (drag on the engine, decrease in performance, etc.). After all, if it’s cold on the street, why climate control has to use A/C and not the cold air from the outside?

What I also notice is that when A/C is on, the engine would periodically increase rpms (about 3-4 times per min) and then there’s this relatively loud “sucking” noise coming from the engine compartment. When I bought the car, A/C did not work. I had it checked, they found that the wiring was loose and fixed it. So now I’m wondering if this sort of operation is normal.

Thx
Old 12-23-2004, 01:45 PM
banned

Originally Posted by WRX Enthusiast
I have this question about climate control system in auto mode on 2005 wrx. According to manual, Subaru recommends that all controls (except the temperature %) be set to auto. I’ve been trying to follow that recommendation. It’s been relatively cold recently and what I notice when I start driving is that the fully auto climate control would initially use only warm air, but then at some point it starts using A/C and does so until I stop driving (which is usually 15-20 min). Is it something you guys see when you drive your cars? I don’t feel like having A/C on for most of the time is a good thing (drag on the engine, decrease in performance, etc.). After all, if it’s cold on the street, why climate control has to use A/C and not the cold air from the outside?

What I also notice is that when A/C is on, the engine would periodically increase rpms (about 3-4 times per min) and then there’s this relatively loud “sucking” noise coming from the engine compartment. When I bought the car, A/C did not work. I had it checked, they found that the wiring was loose and fixed it. So now I’m wondering if this sort of operation is normal.

Thx
hmmm....i really havent noticed any problems with the climate control in my car. i usually leave the temperature at 75. if its really cold i put it on max and then back to 75 after 5-10 minutes. i havent noticed a/c kicking in. maybe i'll try it after work today.

when the a/c is on, the engine has to work a little harder to power it (due to the a/c belt i believe). i havent really used a/c much since its the winter time so i can't offer any advice on the sucking noise.

maybe the a/c is kicking in because of the faulty sunlight sensor on the dashboard.

anyone else have input????
Old 12-31-2004, 09:46 AM

Car Info: Black Car
Originally Posted by BlackedOutSTi
Hondas used to (don't know if they still do) recommend using the A/C when in defrost mode, regardless of outside air temp. Ever notice when it's raining and your windows begin to fog up, then you turn the defroster on and it does nothing? Then, when you add the A/C to the mix your windows magically clear. Also, I believe cooler air warms faster than warmer air. I know this is true with water as colder water boils faster than warm water. So, maybe in auto mode the car kicks on the A/C to warm the interior faster. I've noticed that in any car I've owned....if you turn the A/C on in the winter and set the temp control to full-warm, it will heat the air faster, so maybe that's what's goin on......
Actually, the reason that it clears up the windows quickly is because the A/C also acts as a de-humidifier. If you noticed after a drive w/ the A/C on theres some water under your car (either drippin out the exhaust or something,) its because teh A/C pulled the moisture out of the air.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
When the AC is running, the moisture removed from inside the car collects in the evaporator housing (HVAC unit behind the center console), and drains out through the hose that passes through the firewall on the passenger side, right next to the downpipe. The water you see under the car comes from there.