Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Audi A6 bi-xenon e-code headlight mod for RHD JDM headlights (56k death!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 09:17 AM

well i found my winter project. this is such a good idea. no more playing with crappy asian made HID kits that burn out in a year and then there's no company to get new bulbs from. straight OEM! One question, where id you source those ballasts, that rubber boot is a great little thing. I just started reading hidforum.com and noticed how everyone says to get OEM projectors, I didn't think they would work in JDM units.... the question is, should I be the first to have bi-xenon EDM units??? :banana:
Old 12-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Nice mod. Very innovative.

The sheild grinding was initially done my me way over a year ago and documented at the same time. Haha. Interesting to see someone "re-invent" the wheel on the mod site.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by DLUX WRX
may be a dumb question.. but can you do this to the EDM STi lights??? sounds like the HID's would work better with projectos that are desinged for them
dont do it on EDMs. Sell your EDMs and and buy a set of JDM because they are the ones with the wrong beam pattern. unless you have money to blow
Old 12-07-2003, 06:09 PM

only reason to do it to EDMs is to have the leveling motors. which is always nice.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:06 AM

Car Info: 1988 MR2 S/C
That's odd. Before I purchased my EDM lights, I had 1 JDM light and it had the motor in it.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:29 AM

Car Info: GDA
absolutely ***** to the walls mod, BadFish!!!

great post...very informative. i have EDMs right now, but i am definitely going to grab a set of JDMs to do this conversion.

db
Old 03-04-2004, 07:05 AM

Badfish -

Do you have the jdm projectors out still? Can you give me messurments on them? I want to fix some valeo DOT projectors into EDM lights.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:00 AM

Car Info: Not a subie!
Originally posted by ScoobySaurusRex
Badfish -

Do you have the jdm projectors out still? Can you give me messurments on them? I want to fix some valeo DOT projectors into EDM lights.
Ooooh! That's exactly what I'm doing also!

I can't measure the originals since I hacked them up.

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2004, 03:52 PM

are you on hidforum.com

what projector did you use? how much of a PITA to fit them? I'm probably not doing this until at least the summer. I really want to do it with the EDM lights to have the leveling switch. I'm pretty sure the valeo DOT or a BMW 3 series or X5 projector should fit but i don't want to have to buy/sell a ton of projectors to find out.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:28 AM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX 06 CGM FORESTER XT
ScoobySaurusRex,

Sorry the JDM projectors were sold....

Good luck and post pics when you are done!
And let me know if you need any help!

-Badfish
Old 02-11-2005, 10:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Giant Bowery '84
OMG this is an awesome thread..
Old 02-11-2005, 11:19 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mattjk
Wow! Awesome install! Takes some ***** to do that

I went the easy way:

This is my 2002 Subaru WRX with EDM STi Halogen projectors with Hella Ballasts and 6000K Global Premier H1 capsules. Took some time aligning the bulb but I'm pretty happy with the results.

Ballasts were mounted inside the bumpers.

Comes with a very nice Silicone Grommet.

What the headlights look like.

At night.

Matt

Why are your HID bulbs blue? I think you get less light output with those! Definitely get 4300k bulbs..but still a lot better than halogen..nice car dude!!
Old 02-11-2005, 11:40 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
resurrection of one dead thread.

Blue coated bulbs do yield a slightly less intense beam, but as xenon is on average 3x brighter than halogen it still is pretty bright. The only problem with blue is that eyes are less sensitive to the blue spectrum at bright levels than they are to green and red, so while you are still throwing out some serious luminosity, the spectrum is something that your eyes don't really like(well it takes more blue photons to make the cones notice it), but oddly enough your brain is attracted to it. Too many people are after the banding that a well designed HID headlight produce, but since they can't get it, they use funky colored bulbs instead of worrying about being able to see. I'm a HID freak beacuse I can't see for crap at night. 4300K all the way unless one of my bulbs go, then I'd consider one of the philips + bulbs. I've tried 6000k bulbs out of curiousity(rebased ultinons, not the blue coated bulbs) and you can really see a difference in brightness.

I miss the hell out of the E46 bi-xenons I had in my v6 accord, but I have high hopes for these(thank you jdmpartstx)

Last edited by illusion; 02-11-2005 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:06 PM

Car Info: Audi B6 S4
has anyone done this mod yet? if so how was the outcome? I want to do something like this instead of my edm projectors i got last week.

i have a few questions. are there certain projectors you should look for? I'm kinda confused. should i just go for the projectors from the audi a6 or can i opt for other projectors such as donors from bmw's, etc. What's the ideal dimension of the projectors?
Old 03-24-2005, 11:32 AM

Car Info: 03 Rex: HKS, Injen, Apexi, Perrin, Rota
what to do what to do???

So does anybody out there have an opinion of which is better, jdm's with retooled projector masks, or EDM's (which have the perfect pattern already) the problem with both is that the projector is designed for a halogen bulb, is that REALLY a problem, or does it even matter much?

also, has anyone who installed HID's in the plug'n play configuration really had problems with frying wires or headlight switches?

can we even get JDM or EDM projector assemblies designed for HID's here in the states? I've searched the web and my local shops and we can't come up with anything???

I went and looked at a set of phillips bulbs installed in a set of silvia (240sx over here in the States) stock/halogen headlight assemblies today. The bulbs have a metal shield under them so that no light goes "down" from the HID bulb. the headlights were mounted on a desk in their shop and the light pattern they put up on the wall was the same as my stock headlights in the WRX emit. They showed me three other cars they've done this same install in (plug'n play), some have been in for two years. and no electrical problems without utilizing relays.

wouldn't the wires going to our stock headlights already utilized relays, i'm pretty sure all automobile headlights are set up that way???

anyone have any thoughts for me?

thanks, Benji

Last edited by madrex; 03-24-2005 at 03:53 PM. Reason: more...

Quick Reply: Audi A6 bi-xenon e-code headlight mod for RHD JDM headlights (56k death!)