Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Anyone have Dynamat on their car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:25 PM

Car Info: SGM 135i
Anyone have dyanmat on their car?

So im thinking about dynamating my whole car (doors, trunk, under the carpet and under the headliner. Does anyone have anything like this? or something close (i.e 4 doors and trunk?) .. if so, can u give me a ride, i just wanna get an idea of how much noise reduction i will get with this.

Henry
Old 09-27-2006, 11:26 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
talk to DLUX WRX, i think his whip is completely Dynamatted
Old 09-27-2006, 11:27 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
thats alot of money and weight. You may want to use the underbody coating to quiet some of the noise.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
yeah, ive done the floor, front and rear doors, trunk, trunk lid, inside the rear fenders..
it hasn't done much of anything for road noise, but my audio system sounds alot better than before.
i just ordered some Ensolite from Rick at RAAmmat with is susposed to kill the road noise down alot. Dynamat and other products like it are designed to dampen any resonance a panel might have. Ensolite and other closed cell foams are what actually help stop noise form coming into the cabin. if you're interested in getting stuff like dynamat i'd go with the Raammat that Rick offers. 60 sq feet is about 120. that should be enough for your doors, trunk and some floor. if you get two rolls it should cover the whole car and then some. add some ensolite on top of the raammat and the car should be really quiet. i bought 3 packs of dynamat extreme for about 120/bulk pack (36 sq feet). the stuff usually costs 180-200/bulk pack. if i had known about raammat i would have gone with that instead as you can see its ALOT cheaper.

if you have any questions feel free to send me a PM

btw.. as far as weight goes..
a 60 sq foot fool of ricks raammat weights about 27 lbs. i ordred two rolls of his mat and 6 yards of the ensolite and the whole package was about 58 lbs.

Last edited by DLUX WRX; 09-28-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by DLUX WRX
yeah, ive done the floor, front and rear doors, trunk, trunk lid, inside the rear fenders..
it hasn't done much of anything for road noise, but my audio system sounds alot better than before.
i just ordered some Ensolite from Rick at RAAmmat with is susposed to kill the road noise down alot. Dynamat and other products like it are designed to dampen any resonance a panel might have. Ensolite and other closed cell foams are what actually help stop noise form coming into the cabin. if you're interested in getting stuff like dynamat i'd go with the Raammat that Rick offers. 60 sq feet is about 120. that should be enough for your doors, trunk and some floor. if you get two rolls it should cover the whole car and then some. add some ensolite on top of the raammat and the car should be realy quiet. i bought dynamat extreme for about 120/bulk pack (36 sq feet). the stuff usually costs 180-200/bulk pack. if i had known about raammat i would have gone with that instead as you can see its ALOT cheaper.

a 60 sq foot fool of ricks raammat weights about 27 lbs. i ordred two rolls of his mat and 6 yards of the ensolite and the whole package was about 58 lbs.
+1 with Raammat. Cheaper and better.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:28 AM

Car Info: SGM 135i
yea, weight is not that bad (about 50 lb ish) .. and the money, i think is well spend since i spend about 2 hrs a day in my car. i will definitely look into the raammat. thx dlux.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:59 AM

Car Info: WRX
just buy a 15" kicker L7 like me......you wont be able to hear any road noise =D
Old 09-28-2006, 06:56 AM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
Originally Posted by WrbImprezaSti
just buy a 15" kicker L7 like me......you wont be able to hear any road noise =D
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????????? sorry i couldn't hear you!! your car is too f'in loud.

"excuse me son, did you know that if i can hear your car at least 50ft away, you are in violation of the CVC Section 27007...."

:rotfl:
Old 09-28-2006, 07:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
My RS coupe has the doors done just for the speakers, and it made a huge difference. I also did the trunk lid and had planned to do the rest but never got to it. A friend and I did his '03 Civic Si (everything, floor, firewall, wheel wells, doors, every panel) and it made it soooo quiet. I also did my old Celica coupe and it made a huge difference there too roadnoise-wise.

I used B-Quiet which is also waaaay cheaper than Dynamat. Have to check because I don't remember what it cost. They also have a lightweight version.

When I was in Hawaii you could get it even cheaper at home depot like places (HPM in Hilo) because it was just called 'roofing tape' which was pretty funn..

As far as weight, weigh the amount you are thinking of putting on your car first. Mine weighs less than the weight savings from the JDM bumper.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:07 PM

Car Info: Audi B6 S4
Originally Posted by DLUX WRX
i just ordered some Ensolite from Rick at RAAmmat with is susposed to kill the road noise down alot. Dynamat and other products like it are designed to dampen any resonance a panel might have. Ensolite and other closed cell foams are what actually help stop noise form coming into the cabin. if you're interested in getting stuff like dynamat i'd go with the Raammat that Rick offers. 60 sq feet is about 120. that should be enough for your doors, trunk and some floor. if you get two rolls it should cover the whole car and then some. add some ensolite on top of the raammat and the car should be really quiet. i bought 3 packs of dynamat extreme for about 120/bulk pack (36 sq feet). the stuff usually costs 180-200/bulk pack. if i had known about raammat i would have gone with that instead as you can see its ALOT cheaper.

hey dlux wrx, did dynamatting the trunk kill the trunk rattles from the outside completely? I have raammated my trunk floor base and the trunk lid, and my goddam trunk still rattles like hell from the outside when the lid is closed.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
cant belive people pay that much for butel
Old 09-28-2006, 12:31 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
Most people confuse dynamat with reducing airborne noise, it does little to affect road noise. It does keep panels from rattling and such. If you want some some serious SPL and SQ increase in your tunes matting works great, if you're looking to quiet your car down you'll need a good layered set, some mat to dampen the vibrations and decouple the sound to a closed cell foam, and a barrier to reflect what little sound is left.

I'm a second skin fan myself. On my firewall(as much as I could reach without yanking the whole dash), I have one layer of damplifier pro, one layer of overkill pro, and one layer of luxury liner barrier over that. I did this just as a test bed to see how much it calmed down the motor and it worked wonderfully. I have enough on order to do the tranny housing, the rear wheel wells and a few other spots I've noted were trouble makers. I'm also putting motor mat on the hood and some over the exhaust can in the back. Another benefit besides sound reduction, is my wife commented that her feet aren't always hot and I noticed a minor heat reduction on my side as well. I also have some triangles of damplifier pro in key places in the doors that calmed them very well. A total coat will have surely calmed them, but doing some knock testing and putting a few pieces here and there got maybe 95% of the resonance out. It tightened up the door closure sound as well as warmed up my mids a little.

On my previous supercharged V6 accord I had over 150lbs of dampening/filter/barrier(and another 150lbs of system. hello 151.3db goodbye hearing) and won't be going quite that extreme with the wagon as I'm not keen on the weight and I'm not into SPL any more. Some strategically placed sound control works wonders though.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:00 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by XkrazyAsianX
So im thinking about dynamating my whole car (doors, trunk, under the carpet and under the headliner. Does anyone have anything like this? or something close (i.e 4 doors and trunk?) .. if so, can u give me a ride, i just wanna get an idea of how much noise reduction i will get with this.

Henry
My sales partner did his entire WRX. I know, because I helped him. We pulled the headliner and did the roof as well!!! How well did it work? His stereo can be at ear bleed levels inside and you can't hear it outside with the windows rolled up.

You thump the roof from the outside and it sounds like solid metal! Now, the down dide? That car is at least 150-200lbs heavier and it was NOT cheap... even buying in bulk!

BUT it's more quiet then my Mom's S Class Mercedes!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 01:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by illusion
Most people confuse dynamat with reducing airborne noise, it does little to affect road noise.
This must depend a lot on the car used because doing 2 layers on my wheel wells in my Celica and then completely doing my friend's Civic made HUGE noticable differences on both cars. Actually come to think of it, after I did the doors on my RS Coupe I noticed tons of noise coming from the rear area under the windows, meaning it had significantly quieted the doors. This is just 1 layer of B-Quiet on the door skin and then on the inner skin as well.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:46 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
Sure using a vibration dampener will cut down the the sound in some part, but doing vibration dampener, then a sound filter, then a sound barrier is insane. People were amazed when they got to ride in my accord. It was dead, not even the slightest hint of an echo, you couldn't even hear the faintest whine of the supercharger during normal driving and there was zero road noise. The whole car sounded like it had every surface carpeted. To show how much noise it really cut down it was easiest to compare from the outside. I have an official DbDrag scorecard rating me at 151.3db yet with the doors closed it really wasn't all that loud outside, I could make more noise from the stock stereo with the windows down in my WRX. You'd have no idea how much noise was really happening on the inside until you opened the doors, then your ears would start bleeding.

I recently did a friends Z06 with minimal vibration dampener, but lots of ensolite and barrier and it was amazing how much it cut down on the cabin noise, at a relatively minimal weigh impact, maybe 35lbs. (mostly only used the dampener on the firewall to cut down on the low frequencies coming from the motor)

Its all a tradeoff. If you want the best interior sound with the least exterior intrusion, your best bet is to line your car with concrete. Since most of us don't like 10klb cars, a butyl with a filter and barrier on top of it is as close as you can get.

Different materials handle different frequencies...umm differently. While asphalt/butyl mats do offer some higher frequency attenuation, they let quite a bit of it through, but stop low frequencies quite well. Closed cell foams work great at filtering high frequencies, but don't do so well with low. Combine them and you catch most of the noise there is, then add a barrier to reflect the noise that does get through.

as a background. I competed in the IASCA for about 7 years(SQ of course, a few years in pro 301-600 and a few in pro 601+), and tried my hand Db for about 2 years.

Last edited by illusion; 09-28-2006 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone have Dynamat on their car?