How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them.

Dynamat in 06-WRX-SW Doors

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:46 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX-SW-kartboy SS-Dynamat-JazzyBoard
Lightbulb Dynamat in 06-WRX-SW Doors

Finally improved my 06 SW doors.

After reading the tutorials here I started taking apart the driver's door assembly.
Start with the window rolled up and remove the corner trim, the opening handle and the door consolle. Pop the panel from the bottom and LIFT it when you reach the top, don't keep pulling out, but up.
here's the first surprise, the 06 model has actually quite a bit of light insulation attached under the plastic weather guard. The plastic is attached to the door by a line of tacky glue similar to the one used on the dynamat. Peel it away without ripping it apart, you don't want to waste all that soft closed cell panels, unless you are planning to relplace that too.

I covered as much as I could on the outer side of the door, then moved to the in-side of the door, facing the cabin. It's really easy, cut stripes og Dynamat and apply, or reapply as needed, cover behind the speaker and around it. Finally a large patch covers the access hole on the door. You can also take the door completely apart and access the inside freely, then cover the cabin side of it..I didn't had all that time, but it looks pretty doable.

Put the plastic and the close cell panels back, attach the consolle back to roll the windows down, it will be easier to reattach the inside panel. Time needed 30 min per door.

The rear door are the same, apart a silly plastic screw that begs to be stripped in the outer (or rear) corner of the door. Be careful with that. I have no idea why they use plastic screws.

All you're going to need is 2 hours, a cutter a piece of wood to cut on, the Dynamat roller a Philips screwdriver and a big flat one to lift the plastic panels. I used 4 door packs covering plenty, since the WRX doors are small and rear doors even smaller. around $120

The improvement is evident. I can hear the car noise coming mostly from the front now, but it feels like I bought a brand new stereo, I hear tones I never heard before in the car...I was listening to half the music, half of it was neutralized by the car noises and rattles.
The door closes with a solid "Thud" compared to the "clank" before, my previous car was an A4..we're not there yet but they just sound much more solid. Plus you get to see what is protecting you from a side impact.

A thin layer of metal, a short bar and now some dynamat....

next thing will be a decent set of speakers and the short shifter.

Any suggestion for the speakers? under $60? Not an audiophile and listenong to and IPod anyway...

Last edited by BlueBlurr; 11-12-2007 at 03:03 PM.