Hawaii Classifieds Cars, parts, electronics, etc for sale and trade. Private parties and approved regional i-Club Vendors.

04 sti engine soon to be up for sale. Check it out while it's still in the car!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:47 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1387223

here's one on nasioc. you can't really factor in much for shipping since we all know that when you sell stuff used here in hawaii, hawai'i, or Hawaii (however the hell you spell it) you will almost always eat the shipping. you can't charge someone shipping on something they came and picked up. so i would say around 2-3k in the condition and with what it has. what exactally has been cut off the harness is a big factor. you gotta realize that while a lot of people here would like to do this swap, few are going to fork over 3-4k and then shell out another 1-2k to get all the other bits they need for the swap. you might want to consider seeing if you can find the missing harness parts for cheap so that you can sell everything as a whole direct swap. it's worth more that way. take it with a grain or salt....you got a good deal on the new setup so maybe it's not too bad taking a bit of a hit on selling the old one. you could always hold onto it in the hopes that somebody will want or need one really bad enough to pay what you want. it's a gamble but may work out. in the end it's your stuff and you can sell it for whatever you want. gl with the sale and the new swap.

Last edited by 04sleeper; 12-13-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
PM'ed you back..

thanks
water
Old 12-15-2007, 01:11 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX with STI engine.
Originally Posted by 04sleeper
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1387223

here's one on nasioc. you can't really factor in much for shipping since we all know that when you sell stuff used here in hawaii, hawai'i, or Hawaii (however the hell you spell it) you will almost always eat the shipping. you can't charge someone shipping on something they came and picked up. so i would say around 2-3k in the condition and with what it has. what exactally has been cut off the harness is a big factor. you gotta realize that while a lot of people here would like to do this swap, few are going to fork over 3-4k and then shell out another 1-2k to get all the other bits they need for the swap. you might want to consider seeing if you can find the missing harness parts for cheap so that you can sell everything as a whole direct swap. it's worth more that way. take it with a grain or salt....you got a good deal on the new setup so maybe it's not too bad taking a bit of a hit on selling the old one. you could always hold onto it in the hopes that somebody will want or need one really bad enough to pay what you want. it's a gamble but may work out. in the end it's your stuff and you can sell it for whatever you want. gl with the sale and the new swap.

Good point. In the end I guess I'll end up taking what ever I can get for it. I think it's worth at least $5,000. But, then again.....it's only worth what I can get for it. I'll just have to see who offers me the most.

Thanks for the input

--NewWRXer.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:14 PM

I have also been thinking that I can get more for the WRX engine if I sell it complete with the trans, axles, struts, rims tires and all. That way someone can convert there RS, or what ever to WRX........
Old 12-16-2007, 12:21 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
Originally Posted by NewWRXer
Good point. In the end I guess I'll end up taking what ever I can get for it. I think it's worth at least $5,000. But, then again.....it's only worth what I can get for it. I'll just have to see who offers me the most.

Thanks for the input

--NewWRXer.
$5k is more than I'd like to spend. I'll probably p/u a ej25 forresterXT motor instead. How close are you to doing this swap??
Old 12-16-2007, 12:10 PM

Car Info: Bugeye Wagon - VF39'd
Hawai`i is a tough/different market. On the new market, if you're buying a large, expensive, item shipping from the mainland is a killer. However, once you've gotten it out here and decide to sell the pool of prospective buyers is so much smaller. And that goes triple for people who want and can afford a big ticket item like an engine. So your used value really suffers. You wind up getting dinged hard on both ends. Sucks, but lucky you live Hawai`i, eh?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:12 PM

Car Info: 94 T78 Supra
^Agreed. Worse off is finding/seeing places that don't ship to Hawaii.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:52 AM

Car Info: 06 STi
+2 after selling my 32V Dohc cobra motor....
i was lucky to sell it for half its worth to someone who was interested in the military....and he was smiling...because he did get a good deal.

because we live on an island with already a high cost of living....unless its what we badly need....will always try to get the lowest price possible

theres another crazy guy in the mustang community convertering his perfectly good 03-04 terminator mustang into a race car....why he doesnt find a cheap mustang to chop up to make a race car is besides me....anyways the terminator is like super low mileage...and hes asking 12K for the entire powertrain...good luck selling that!

Last edited by houdni; 12-17-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by 808subaru
$5k is more than I'd like to spend. I'll probably p/u a ej25 forresterXT motor instead. How close are you to doing this swap??

I should be doing the swap in February. My new parts are on the way, and I'm saving up for the last few bits.

--NewWRXer
Old 12-18-2007, 10:06 AM

Car Info: Bugeye Wagon - VF39'd
Where did you get the new drivetrain? I've been looking for front halfcuts, but no one seems to be importing anymore.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bushflyr
Where did you get the new drivetrain? I've been looking for front halfcuts, but no one seems to be importing anymore.
Your right. They are really hard to find. The JDM parts I got came from a friend on the mainland. He planed to do the swap on his car, and after importing the parts his priorities changed. V8 JDM STI full swaps (engine, ECU, trans, rear diff, axles, breaks, struts,….) seem to be going for $10,000 to $14,000 right now.

…….and I can’t even seem to get $5,000 for an 04 2.5L STI engine that’s in the car running!

(I guess all the WRX owners spent their money on BOV’s, Rims, and Carbon Fiber stuff)
Old 12-18-2007, 08:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV

(I guess all the WRX owners spent their money on BOV’s, Rims, and Carbon Fiber stuff)
nope spent it going stage 4 in my sti.........and still looking for a motor for my GC
Old 12-19-2007, 10:24 AM

Car Info: 09 xt

Or some of us actually have mortgages and other bills to pay.
It's gonna be hard for you to sell your stuff if you insult people.
And BTW, I have stock bypass-valve and no carbon fiber. The only reason i updated rims are for race rubber, so don't stereotype everyone. I guess I'm gonna go get a cosworth built motor now, if i even do so at all, as I'm about to invest some serious money in myself.
G/l with your sale.

Last edited by 808subaru; 12-19-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: pfffffftttt........edited for niceness
Old 12-19-2007, 01:15 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
while this is true for some ppl, not everyone is interested in having an sti motor in their wrx and are happy with what they have. you gotta understand that most ppl here are daily driving their cars and not many ppl anywhere have 5k to drop on just a motor. on top of that there is no track here so what good would it do the average person to do a swap. truth is the only ones who whould are those who auto-x and then i can only see someone with a GC doing this (like francis). if i still had my gc i would think about it but not for anywhere near 5k because i would need to source a lot of things you don't have to make it work. so really it's kind of unreasonable to ask for so much. if you don't need the money right away hang onto it and see if someone who really needs it will pay that much.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by 04sleeper
while this is true for some ppl, not everyone is interested in having an sti motor in their wrx and are happy with what they have. you gotta understand that most ppl here are daily driving their cars and not many ppl anywhere have 5k to drop on just a motor. on top of that there is no track here so what good would it do the average person to do a swap. truth is the only ones who whould are those who auto-x and then i can only see someone with a GC doing this (like francis). if i still had my gc i would think about it but not for anywhere near 5k because i would need to source a lot of things you don't have to make it work. so really it's kind of unreasonable to ask for so much. if you don't need the money right away hang onto it and see if someone who really needs it will pay that much.

Your right. I know it's hard to sell stuff for whats it's really worth in our small Island market. In the end, I will sell it for what ever I can get. I got an offer for $2,000. But if I hold out I think I can do better then that!

I am one of those guys that likes to have a really f#@ken fast daily driver to just drive around town going the speed limit.......I don't know why, guess it just feels good to have all that power.

But, if only we had a track...........

Quick Reply: 04 sti engine soon to be up for sale. Check it out while it's still in the car!