Wix filter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 05:12 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
The reason 5w40 is maybe "better" because its thicker at the normal operating temp. Which in turn puts a thicker barrier between components. Engine being horizontal, the bottom side of the piston has gravity pulling down on it, and it may be better to run thicker oil.

Others say 5w40 is better for oil consumption. Mine doesnt consume any concerning amount with 5w30 and if a dealership sees anything other than 5w30 as for oil changes that you have to prove when the engine goes....good luck.

Off warranty, I'll be running 5w40 Euro Ams or Motul 5w40 for the daily driver.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:20 PM

Car Info: grandmas car
Originally Posted by ScoobySon
The reason 5w40 is maybe "better" because its thicker at the normal operating temp. Which in turn puts a thicker barrier between components. Engine being horizontal, the bottom side of the piston has gravity pulling down on it, and it may be better to run thicker oil.

Others say 5w40 is better for oil consumption. Mine doesnt consume any concerning amount with 5w30 and if a dealership sees anything other than 5w30 as for oil changes that you have to prove when the engine goes....good luck.

Off warranty, I'll be running 5w40 Euro Ams or Motul 5w40 for the daily driver.
thanks for the reply. it was explained to me why i should run 5w-40, but i wanted to hear what others had to say. theres no turning back to stock for me, so i think i may be better off running 5w-40.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:39 PM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
I use 5w-30 Amsoil XL and use a 5k interval. Even at this interval I feel that the Amsoil is still very good and could probably go longer. I change at 5k because I use that interval in all my cars. My car does not consume Amsoil like it did the other brands (i.e. Royal Purple, Castrol Synth).

As for filter, I like Wix, but it's a toss up between Wix and Napa gold.

As for oil weight, I use 5W-30 because it's easy to get and my car just works with that weight. Even climbing home each day (3,500 ft. above sea leve), the oil rarely gets above 220 degrees even when I'm pounding it with the ac on fully loaded with my family. That says a lot about Amsoil XL and the 5w-30 weight.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Yups I agree with Rish & ScoobySon, I've used Mobil 1 Full SYN, and at 3500k, when warmed at 180 degree Farenheit or so, it gets pretty thin.. IDK why I didnt switch over to Amsoil yet. Though Mobil 1 has gotten some bad rap about the viscosity being thin at warmed up temperature thus being accused as the main culprit to bearing issue's, According to the data retrived by I think was GST, Mobil 1 Full SYN has ended up a pretty decent oil.. Just gotta dig through IWSTI..

Originally Posted by Risk 3233
As for oil weight, I use 5W-30 because it's easy to get and my car just works with that weight. Even climbing home each day (3,500 ft. above sea leve), the oil rarely gets above 220 degrees even when I'm pounding it with the ac on fully loaded with my family. That says a lot about Amsoil XL and the 5w-30 weight.
Wow... Really, I hit 225-230 degree according to my Oil Temp without my A/C on but that usually happens when Im going 65-67 mph..
Old 02-04-2010, 01:34 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
Originally Posted by dub81
Yups I agree with Rish & ScoobySon, I've used Mobil 1 Full SYN, and at 3500k, when warmed at 180 degree Farenheit or so, it gets pretty thin.. IDK why I didnt switch over to Amsoil yet. Though Mobil 1 has gotten some bad rap about the viscosity being thin at warmed up temperature thus being accused as the main culprit to bearing issue's, According to the data retrived by I think was GST, Mobil 1 Full SYN has ended up a pretty decent oil.. Just gotta dig through IWSTI..

Wow... Really, I hit 225-230 degree according to my Oil Temp without my A/C on but that usually happens when Im going 65-67 mph..
Be careful looking up info on the Mobil 1 EP stuff. They did change their formula a while back. I believe they used to be the synthetic leaders for quality, but then they fell off with the new formula, and new competitors.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:10 PM
VIP Member

Be careful looking up info on the Mobil 1 EP stuff. They did change their formula a while back. I believe they used to be the synthetic leaders for quality, but then they fell off with the new formula, and new competitors.
iirc, i heard something to dat nature.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:36 PM
VIP Member

iirc, i heard something to dat nature.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:23 AM

i remember there was a study showing the mobile 1 was pretty much the same as regular oils that wasnt synthetic... had a big thing about it
Old 02-06-2010, 06:47 AM

Car Info: 08 lgt
I use mobile1. I tried the castrol "think with your dipstick jimmy" oil, seemed the same. I use mobile1 cause when costco has um on sale its cheap. So I stock up.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:43 PM

Car Info: hard in the paint!!!
Pacific Jobbers off of nimitz, down the street from Servco Mapunapuna. I believe they stock Wix brand filters.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:41 PM

Car Info: grandmas car
Originally Posted by Risk3233
I use 5w-30 Amsoil XL and use a 5k interval. Even at this interval I feel that the Amsoil is still very good and could probably go longer. I change at 5k because I use that interval in all my cars. My car does not consume Amsoil like it did the other brands (i.e. Royal Purple, Castrol Synth).

As for filter, I like Wix, but it's a toss up between Wix and Napa gold.

thanks for your reply...gonna oil change sometime this week (hopefully tomorrow). already have oil so 5w30 amsoil it is...got my napa gold filter last week. will see how that filter is...will probably switch to the euro amsoil 5w-40 in the near future.

Originally Posted by 808_lgt
I use mobile1. I tried the castrol "think with your dipstick jimmy" oil, seemed the same. I use mobile1 cause when costco has um on sale its cheap. So I stock up.
yeah, those coupons they have in the coupon book make them pretty cheap. when i first got my car i was using mobil 1...read/heard so many good reviews with amsoil figured id switch...used a few other brands along the way:P hehe

Originally Posted by HISTATEOFMIND
Pacific Jobbers off of nimitz, down the street from Servco Mapunapuna. I believe they stock Wix brand filters.
thanks...ill keep that in mind if the napa gold doesnt work out