Who's car did I adopt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 09:45 AM

Car Info: 2004 SRR WRX
Who's car did I adopt?

Hi all. I've been lurking around here for a little while. Used to spend most of my time on NASIOC, but now that I've noticed that theres a regional club here, I'll probably be here more now.

Anyways, Back in April or May I bought a used 04 SRR WRX from the subie dealership off nimitz. It had 11k miles at the time. It came with an aftermarket alarm and an Apexi turbo timer. Whoever had it before me also debadged the rear end and put the SUBARU letters on the dash (which I removed as soon as I got it home). I was just wondering if any of you recognize this car from the description and maybe know who it used to belong to, what mods they did to it, etc.

Either way, I love the car and have been hoping to come to one of the local meets sometime and meet some other wrx owners, but the timing never works out. Maybe I'll eventually make it out.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:51 AM

Car Info: 2005 wrx
welcome to i-club! come out thursday meetings...
Old 12-29-2005, 11:43 AM

Car Info: easystreet's ESX 344 Stage 4 Dyno Tuned
Talking

woo hoo welcome welcom!!!! iclub needs alittle more red n my opinion...
Old 12-29-2005, 01:41 PM

Car Info: 06 F4I & 04 G35 CHEHOOO
Originally Posted by megaben300
Whoever had it before me also debadged the rear end and put the SUBARU letters on the dash (which I removed as soon as I got it home)

ohh raanddyyy!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 04:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: "the loud one"
^^^haha....
Old 12-29-2005, 11:00 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
i only spotted a few of those colors. anywho, welcome
Old 12-29-2005, 11:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
i'm still trying to figure out who got my old 03 wrb wrx....only info I got was his parents either bought it for him or cosigned and he is between the ages of 17 and 21
Old 12-31-2005, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the welcomes. I obviously wasn't able to make it to the last meet, but maybe the next one.

The reason I was asking about the car is that I'm not real happy with whoever had it before me. You can tell that there had been some damage to the front right fender and it was repainted. It's not bad, but if you look close you can tell. There are supposed to be three screws mounting the front of the intercooler, but now there's only one. The return hose from the stock bov was missing the hose clamp, and some of the plastic fasteners that hold the plastic under the bottom of the front end are missing so it hangs down on one side. The best part of all is that the dealer told me it had a custom exhaust (because it was so loud). But the muffler was obviously stock so I knew something was up. It turns out that the exhaust pipe was cut off just after the cat in the DP, and the rest of the pipe back to the muffler is just hanging there. Seriously, the hangers at the muffler and the pipe resting on the heatshield after the cat are the only things holding the exhaust in place, but that doesn't matter because the exhaust exits the car right after the cat anyways, and the rest of the exhaust is just hanging there for looks. I also suspect that something is up with the turbo, but I'm not sure. Anyways, I got a great deal on my dreamcar, so I'm not really upset about all that. I'm not interested in having the dealer repair it, either. I found all that stuff before I bought it, and didn't say anything. I figure the exhaust issue give me good excuse to get a turboback, and I replaced the bov hoseclamp when I replaced the stock bov with a forge vta (I know I know, it doesn't need it. But I love the sound and the backfiring.) I'll replace those bolts in the intercooler when I get new silicone hose for the turbo and replace the IC with a TXS topmount. It all works out

Anyways, The bolt on the right side of the front stock swabar is loose about a quarter inch, and it's rusted in place like that, so there's enough play in the front right wheel that I've got massive tire wear on the outside edge of my FR tire. So, I guess an upgraded swaybar and new tires are first on the list.

I hate that my car isn't perfect, but I love that the problems I do have justify getting some better-than-stock replacement parts. Now I just with there was something wrong with my ECU. (not really, I don't wanna get jinxed).
Old 12-31-2005, 12:29 PM

Car Info: 2002 silver rex
Check the alignment It might have some positive camber on that right side and you dont want that! Impairs handling.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:38 PM

Car Info: 02' wrb wrx w/ RGII
i was wondering who's wrx i adpoted also...picked up an 2002 wrb wrx with 6k in jan from jackson volvo...the guy took everything out of the car and left me with a dinged hood,strached door and a trunk with holes in them with no wing..also front bumper look's like was re-painted but it's already cracking...but its ok..fixed everything and thank god only had 6k..if not i would have gotten an sti..hehe
Old 12-31-2005, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by curbait
Check the alignment It might have some positive camber on that right side and you dont want that! Impairs handling.
My guess is that whoever had this car before me did alot of stuff to it, and stripped it whe it was repo'd or traded in, or whatever. I suspect they lowered the car and had the camber adjusted to compensate, and put the stock shocks/springs back in when they got rid of the car without readjusting the camber. All of the wheels look almost perfectly vertical if not a little positive to the naked eye, but I haven't taken it to have it aligned yet. Most stock wrx's look as though there's a just a little negative camber.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:25 PM

Car Info: toaster
I replaced the stock bov with a forge vta
awesome, thats the best bov. belive me i tried them all back in the day. I think i still have the soft and med springs for it. I had to sell it with the hardest spring, cuz the guy who bought my stage 4 needed it or it wouldnt hold boost. glad someone thought outside the box on their own, and didnt go with the rest of the crap out there.

on topic, sorry to hear about the tool who owned your car before, but like you said you knew about the issues before buying so you gotta suck it up unfortunately. happy new year
Old 12-31-2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by kawshon1
I think i still have the soft and med springs for it. ... glad someone thought outside the box on their own, and didnt go with the rest of the crap out there.
I agree, I did some research before I bought this one, and I'm glad I did. I hated the sound of most other bov's out there, and love how this one has a very rally car type sound. Plus it looks awesome under the hood and feels more like a functional part instead of one of those ebay deals with a huge trumpet that sounds like a seal being clubbed to death.

Think you may wanna come off those springs you have? Unfortunately the guy I bought mine from bought it before they started shipping them with the extra springs. I only have the one (soft) spring that came in it. I may be upgrading the turbo soon and might wanna install at least the medium spring.

on topic, sorry to hear about the tool who owned your car before, but like you said you knew about the issues before buying so you gotta suck it up unfortunately. happy new year
Yeah, see, I'm married with a kid, so if I said "hey honey, I wanna get this $XXX turbo-back exhaust to replace the perfectly good stock one I have" she would have a fit. But since the one I have is jacked up, I can convince her that it is worth the extra money to just upgrade instead of replacing he stock one. Trust me, I knew from the start that all of the problems with this car were problems that would benefit me in the long run with replacement parts.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:27 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
... cuz the guy who bought my stage 4 needed it or it wouldnt hold boost.
too bad he doesn't know what he's doing !!

GOOD to see your posts every now & then Happy New Year !
Old 12-31-2005, 04:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
Originally Posted by megaben300
Thanks for the welcomes. I obviously wasn't able to make it to the last meet, but maybe the next one.

The reason I was asking about the car is that I'm not real happy with whoever had it before me. You can tell that there had been some damage to the front right fender and it was repainted. It's not bad, but if you look close you can tell. There are supposed to be three screws mounting the front of the intercooler, but now there's only one. The return hose from the stock bov was missing the hose clamp, and some of the plastic fasteners that hold the plastic under the bottom of the front end are missing so it hangs down on one side. The best part of all is that the dealer told me it had a custom exhaust (because it was so loud). But the muffler was obviously stock so I knew something was up. It turns out that the exhaust pipe was cut off just after the cat in the DP, and the rest of the pipe back to the muffler is just hanging there. Seriously, the hangers at the muffler and the pipe resting on the heatshield after the cat are the only things holding the exhaust in place, but that doesn't matter because the exhaust exits the car right after the cat anyways, and the rest of the exhaust is just hanging there for looks. I also suspect that something is up with the turbo, but I'm not sure. Anyways, I got a great deal on my dreamcar, so I'm not really upset about all that. I'm not interested in having the dealer repair it, either. I found all that stuff before I bought it, and didn't say anything. I figure the exhaust issue give me good excuse to get a turboback, and I replaced the bov hoseclamp when I replaced the stock bov with a forge vta (I know I know, it doesn't need it. But I love the sound and the backfiring.) I'll replace those bolts in the intercooler when I get new silicone hose for the turbo and replace the IC with a TXS topmount. It all works out

Anyways, The bolt on the right side of the front stock swabar is loose about a quarter inch, and it's rusted in place like that, so there's enough play in the front right wheel that I've got massive tire wear on the outside edge of my FR tire. So, I guess an upgraded swaybar and new tires are first on the list.

I hate that my car isn't perfect, but I love that the problems I do have justify getting some better-than-stock replacement parts. Now I just with there was something wrong with my ECU. (not really, I don't wanna get jinxed).
i like your attitude, instead of complaining...you already knew what to do and what's what...

Quick Reply: Who's car did I adopt?