who has stereo installed by Special T tinting???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 02:43 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Originally posted by acarguy
Just my $.02 but I'd never buy something that I haven't heard. The best way to make a sound decision when it comes to stereo components is to listen to as much as possible. Nakamichi decks look pretty crappy but their high end ones will play with the best of them (only thing is they cost more than your whole quote and thats why i dont have one!).

I've always been an Alpine guy but I'm running and x869 now because I got a decent price on it and it comes with a 2yr warranty. Also Alpine support sucks now and Kenwoods is probably the best out there....just something to think about.

As for the Nakamichi separates.....I'm not a fan of them but components more than any other part is a personal preference. Thats why you should listen to a bunch. I think you'd really be making a mistake by going to one shop and listen to a small selection....there is so much out there now. OK ok i'm a Boston Acoustics fan.....

Concept.....I havent heard them personally but I've been given mixed reviews.....most say they're OK for the price. $1300 for a system installed does sound pretty good but there are a lot of variables left out.

I'd say explore as many options as possible.....Special T does pretty good work from what I've seen...but don't let their selection box you in.
Where did you get your install done? Whats your system now?
Old 09-06-2003, 03:17 PM

Hey I got a friend that owns a sound shop in westridge shopping center in Aiea right next to Buffet 100. He has some pretty good lines in stock, he has stuff like Visonik, GS Designs, Autotek, PowerBase, Rockford, Pioneer, Icon TV, and soon to be ARC audio. You should stop by when you have the time. If you are real tight on budget he also has some used amps.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:55 PM

Car Info: STI
Originally posted by DaveWRX
Where did you get your install done? Whats your system now?
I didn't have have enough time to do things the way I wanted so I had Island Sound do the work. I've done stuff with Progressive Auto Sounds in Aiea before (they are pretty good) but I decided to go with Island Sound for my STI. They have one of the best reputations, have been around for 20+ yrs, only sell top products, and have a slightly different view on sound (quality rather than max output) than most other shops here. Also their mix of products fit me the best.

And I felt safer leaving my car with them than anyone else. I mean there was an LS430, a vette, and a 550hp H2 there during the 4 day install. By the way that H2 is a 3-4 month project...that thing is gonna be awesome.

I'm sure Islandx can vouch for them too.

Right now I've got:
kenwood x959
Boston Z6 (best i've ever heard...just dont as how much they cost)
Boston 5.5pros (from my last car)
xtant amps
alumapro cap
jl12w6 (from before)

So I think we paid about the same as you Dave except I dont have the nice dvd player u got

By the way.....we need to meet up some time so I can check out the matrix in your car

It seems like everyone here is pretty happy with Special T so I dont think anyone would be wrong for going to them....I'm just a believer in making the best possible decisions...and the only way to do that in car audio is by listening to a variety of components before choosing.

With that being said I'm in the market for a new sub and enclosure....anyone got some ideas or are willing to let me hear theirs??
Old 09-06-2003, 04:59 PM

Oh yeah....and you can always buy one or two components somewhere else and have Special T install it with the majority you get from them.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:22 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Definitely need to check out each others systems. You going to the install? Hoping to get the exhaust and dp ready to go by then. Still working on the dealie-o.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:42 PM

I'd like to but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get allllll the way out there that day We'll see...
Old 09-07-2003, 01:09 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Old 09-07-2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by BLKBLUR
Had three RF 12's in a sub floor. Eclipse amps and head unit. My friend and I did all our selfs. Pain in the crack but, cost nothing for install. If you can get someone to do it for a cheep price, I would jump at the chance. Have them do it. "WARRANTY"
how much did you have to raise the floor? 3-12s is a hell of a lot....I'm thinking about one 12 in the spare tire well....also do you have any idea how much enclosure space you have?
Old 09-07-2003, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the info BLKBLUR....

thats some serious SPL levels....how much power were you running and did you create vents into the cabin? I've grown up from those high school bass days and have become more of a SQ guy now but I can still appreciate some brute force
Old 09-07-2003, 11:58 PM

Car Info: 2004 Blue STi
Special T Install

Well...on Tues my STi goes in under the knife. My stereo, tint, and Matrix security is being installed. I will definately let you know how it turns out. I wanted to get a custom install for my sub and amps however the best custom job would be if I remove my spare...not sure if I want to do that!! Other than that...sounds like it will work out well. I am also getting concept speakers...they sound real well in the showroom...looking forward to hearing it inside the car.

DrV
Old 09-08-2003, 04:31 AM

Originally posted by BLKBLUR
I was running around 2300 watts!!! Didn't need vents.
Wow ! What kind of electrical system mods did you run ? cap/s, battery/ies, alternator ?

Quick Reply: who has stereo installed by Special T tinting???