View Poll Results: Drag racing is...
SO EASY that anyone can do it! It's like falling down.
30.43%
a legitimate motorsport like any other that takes skill, determination, and knowhow.
69.57%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Who actually believes that...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 04:20 AM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Who actually believes that...

Any fool can go fast in a straight line?
Old 05-08-2003, 10:01 AM

Car Info: 2001 sub. imp.
it does take some skill, but its more $$ than skill. auto-x is way more talent oriented
Old 05-08-2003, 10:17 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Originally posted by mysubaruimp
it does take some skill, but its more $$ than skill. auto-x is way more talent oriented
Good point...
Old 05-08-2003, 10:31 AM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
I think the people here who actually drag race KNOW just any fool can't go fast in a straight line.

each car being equal, ... a skilled driver against a not-so-skilled driver will yeild a big difference in 1/4mi times.

we should have our own drivers contest, using the same car. Then we could see who the best of the best is ...
Old 05-08-2003, 10:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
I vote on using Mike's car.

I doubt that I'd get it to move forward. It would probably sit there all day just smoking the rubber w/o even having the brake on.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:45 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Originally posted by mysubaruimp
Yup! I agree!

Jon
Old 05-08-2003, 12:38 PM
VIP Member

I must be an uncoordinated goof then.

No exageration. I'd say it took me a good 6-7 months to launch properly.

Of course this doesn't address my AutoX skills. It's plain and simple that I suck, but I haven't given myself anytime to get better.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:41 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
I'd have to say that comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. They are two very different types of motorsports requiring two totally different techniques to get your car from point A to point B.

But if I had to chose, I believe auto-x or any road racing for that matter is much more complicated then just rev, slip, drop, and go.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:52 PM
VIP Member

What about the difficulty added in of tuning your own car as you're racing?

In AutoX, you're not allowed to modify once you've been tech'd, right?

In road racing, you have to either 'dance with who brung ya' or have a pit crew to rely on.

I'm not saying that it's my opinion that tuning while dragracing makes it more difficult, I'm just saying that when you're drag racing it's not about rev, slip, drop, and go, it's rev, slip, drop, and go as fast as you can.

Remember when Alfredesq and Phil had their shootout? Both were progressively getting better and better, but I believe only Phil had a tunable chip (I'd assume UTEC). Both were fiddling around adding HP each pass. The HP has to come from somewhere.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:19 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
Oops didnt see the drag intention in the "straight line" thought you meant just getting on the throttle and going for top speed. Im a perfect example. I have had my 954 and zzr1200 up over 160 in straight line, but am a complete moron when it comes to the twisties, same with all my cars. I will top them out without a thought, but taking turns the grandma behing me in her Gremlin takes me every time...

But talking about drag racing straight line and it takes skill, no doubt about that...

Edit: Too much 151 already. Didnt read the poll heading, thought it always matched the subject line.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:46 PM
Pr0n King

I agree that road racing is an art in and of itself and will never take that away from those that have curves on the brain... But it just irks me when some guys dismiss drag racing and nothing more than "common sense" when they've never even attempted to master it...
Old 05-08-2003, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by IS2Scooby
I agree that road racing is an art in and of itself and will never take that away from those that have curves on the brain... But it just irks me when some guys dismiss drag racing and nothing more than "common sense" when they've never even attempted to master it...
Tell them to come watch me and see there is no "common sense" in it. I have driven/ridden a ton of cars in the past and while not so great at curves Im not as bad as I say I am. The launch is what is going to kill me. I am planning on finding a nice quiet/unoccupied street to practice on. Also the tree is going to paralyze me. Atleast watching it the other night there helped me get a better idea of the timing and such, but I still know I will **** my pants the first couple times pulling up to it. Probably have an anxiety attack, better load up on the Prozac first...

Anyone know any good areas a guy could have some room to practice launching? Been looking around on my outings, but there are people everywhere...
Old 05-08-2003, 03:59 PM
VIP Member

Dude,

If you can estimate a pretty close weight for you, your car, and how much gasoline is in it, we could take it down into the gulch, hook up the g-tech, and you could go ape****.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by gpatmac
Dude,

If you can estimate a pretty close weight for you, your car, and how much gasoline is in it, we could take it down into the gulch, hook up the g-tech, and you could go ape****.
Still dont know where the gulch is? SOMEONE TELL ME! Im probably the only one who doesnt.

I gotta go check it out...
Old 05-08-2003, 10:00 PM
Pr0n King

ttt

Quick Reply: Who actually believes that...