Where can I go at Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 09:00 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
Where can I go at Hawaii?

Okay guys and gals! I want to take my gf to Hawaii for a short trip. Like 6 days 5 nights or something. I want to plan out things to do myself and not take a tour with travel agent to avoid the 'shopping' areas.

I want to go to pearl harbor, some beaches, some night shows, that famous volcano, and have something of that tasty roast/bbq pork thing. You know, that thing they cook underground or something. And whatever you can think of for us to do within that 6 days 5 nights we are there.

As you can see, I don't know jack about anything.. are all those thing on the same island? How hard/expensive would it be to hop to another island if they are not on the same island? Thanks in advance!

Leo

Last edited by DetailAddict; 08-10-2004 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
The Volcano is on the Big island of Hawaii .

99% of us are on Oahu.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Former Vendor

okay, for vacation, where should I go? Well the big island have enough things for me to do for that week? how expensive is it to get from the big island to oahu?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:18 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
aside from oahu, most of the other islands are for some serious down time.
if you hit up oahu, you can go to one of the luaus and daimond head.

or meet with a bunch of us on thursdays. hAHAH
Old 08-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Angry Dan

***Flamesuit on!***

My $.02 If you want fun in the sun........go to a nice/safe place in Mexico and just hang out. I think it would be cheaper and a little nicer.

But if you want to come here I think it's like $70 to fly between the islands. So you can go to the big island and stay on oahu with no problem. I think people do it all the time.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:23 PM
Former Vendor

okay, you have to education this idiot here... luaus? daimon head? diamond head sounds very familar to me.. BTW, I've been to Hawaii twice, but when I was 8 and 11. And I didn't know a word of English at the time and we were with a tour. So I don't remember jack, just that it was a BEAUTIFUL place.

Originally Posted by namakemono
aside from oahu, most of the other islands are for some serious down time.
if you hit up oahu, you can go to one of the luaus and daimond head.

or meet with a bunch of us on thursdays. hAHAH
Old 08-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Former Vendor

hmmm... not a big fan of mexico. I wanted to take a cruise, but the weather is not that nice over in east coast... Thinking about the Alaska cruise, but seems boring... But thanks for the suggestion.

Leo

Originally Posted by Mach5WRX
***Flamesuit on!***

My $.02 If you want fun in the sun........go to a nice/safe place in Mexico and just hang out. I think it would be cheaper and a little nicer.

But if you want to come here I think it's like $70 to fly between the islands. So you can go to the big island and stay on oahu with no problem. I think people do it all the time.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Angry Dan

Originally Posted by iBlueVirus
hmmm... not a big fan of mexico.

Ok how about Thailand....I just got back from there not to long ago (work trip). I can't wait to go back when I can have a really good time!
Old 08-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Former Vendor

been there pretty recently.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:53 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
If you want to see things that you see on postcards and brochures, try Maui or Kauai (or the Big Isle for the Volcano). Oahu is where most of Hawaii's population is. For good shows/luaus, try Germaine's Luau or Paradise Cove. For shows, try the Polynesian Cultural Center (all on Oahu).

The pork you're talking about is Kalua Pork. It's awesome stuff, especially w/long rice, lomi salmon, ahi poke (raw fish served w/shoyu and onion), and haupia. Poi's alright, but not for some people.

Try most beaches on Oahu's windward side. The water is nice and the sand is soft and clean. If you want to try it at night (not always recommended), try Sandy Beach. The sand sparkles in the moonlight (and the waves can be pretty good too).

Don't travel to the westside of the Oahu (except for maybe the Waterpark) b/c it will be a waste of time.

Diamond Head is an extinct volcano that was said to sparkle like diamonds from far away. People hike up to the peak and get a pretty nice view of everything below.

You may want to try out Maui's Black Sand Beach.

The Big Island is nice, but it can be a pain to drive from place to place as it is a huge island (well, for us anyway).

Hope this helps. I'll add more if anything comes to mind.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:09 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
there ya go, josh. very nice detailed help.

paradise cove might be better than germaines.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:05 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon JAVA BLACK PEARL
hey bud just a word of advise. if you want to go to alaska dont take the cruise. you dont get to see crap. i would fly there stay for a week or two and rent a car. cruise you might get off the boat two or three times and not for that long so all you really get to see is the coast.

hey and whats wrong with the west side of the island sneezy? kaena point is the ****. only bummer is that you have to navigate waianae to get there haha. anyways if you do end up going to the outer islands bro i hear that the road to hana sucks! its like a million miles of twisting roads and all thats at the other side is a gas station that charges 200 dollars a gallon for gas. and if you get car sick definately dont try it.

good luck
Old 08-11-2004, 12:20 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
There are some nice places to see on the Big Island. You already mentioned Volcano. It's quite a thrill when you get to see lava. Depending on the weather, you can go to Mauna Kea and check out some snow. About a two hour drive later, you can kick back at Hapuna beach for some fun in the sun. Waipio Valley is also a great place to experience. There are also numerous hiking trails with mini waterfalls to see. That's about what I know for Big Island as I live here now.

I used to live on Maui, but I'm sure a LOT has changed since I've lived there last (about 15 years at least). I do recall how incredible it was to go to the wharf and take a ride out on a 65-foot catamaran (we were friends with the cappy and crew on the Wailea Kai back then). Snorkling at a TINY island called Molokini (a marine reserve). Here's a link to give you an idea: http://www.tombarefoot.com/maui/kini.html

Anyway, hopefully that's some more info for ya.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:21 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
lived 10 years on big island,
11 on oahu.

i must say that the outer islands(outside of oahu)
have more of a laid back atmosphere-
for some basic hawaiian "stuff" i compiled click here

i always enjoy visiting the waterfalls on the big island...
when you do come here let us know. maybe i can hook you up with some family as your "local guides" to all the secret hotspots.

aloha from the summit of Mauna Kea
Old 08-11-2004, 08:26 AM
Former Vendor

damn, went to sleep for few hours and now there is a list of things for me to look into! Thanks guys! I'll let you guys know if I do decide to come and when. Keep them info coming!

Quick Reply: Where can I go at Hawaii?