what's the deal!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 09:11 PM

Car Info: 01 impreza 2.5rs
Question what's the deal!?

What the f@&^$ is up with the screwed up reconstruction laws here? I tried to get my recon sticker today and the guy told me that I need to change my drop springs cuz they were too stiff. He said the springs need to bound and rebound at least an inch both ways. He said I should be able to push down on my car and it should travel at least an inch and that they should rebound at least an inch. My car didn't do even half that, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a good set of springs to get so I can pass? So long as they are still stiffer than stock, but not as stiff as these and I'm not bouncing all over the damn place. I asked if I could just put my stock springs back on and he said that if I did that, I wouldn't need recon to begin with. Funny thing is, he never said s@#$ about my wing, my exhaust or any of the other mods I did. Anyhow, if someone has any suggestions...
Old 12-08-2006, 09:14 PM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
how low is your car? as long as the height is ok then put the stockies back in to get the recon, and put the good one is after
Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
you don't need recon for exhaust and the wing. The wing is more of a obstruction of view thing for the police officers. It's up to them, but as long as it doesn't obstruct your rear view it should be fine.

What you could do, is ride without recon for a while. Maybe the springs might be able to bounce a little more.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:56 PM

My car really isn't that low. I only dropped it about 1.5 inches from stock. The thing is, the guy said if I put the stock springs back on, then I won't need to get a recon sticker at all cuz it'll be too close to stock to matter. But as long as I can push down on the car and it bounds at least an inch and rebounds at least an inch, it's fine. It's really about the travel of the springs. The ones I have are too stiff, he said. All I need are softer springs and I can keep my car the same height.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:03 AM

a "obstruction of view" charge NOT for the rear of the car. a ticket for that would be dismissed.

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrs200...S_291C-124.htm

a boat in tow would be obstuctive wouldn't it? of course it would, but since it's only the rear that's blocked, legal.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:29 AM

well if they can't tell you you can't have a recon...that guy just sounds like an ***
Old 12-09-2006, 01:59 PM

Car Info: '13 WRX Hatch OBP
Originally Posted by flatbox
a "obstruction of view" charge NOT for the rear of the car. a ticket for that would be dismissed.

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrs200...S_291C-124.htm

a boat in tow would be obstuctive wouldn't it? of course it would, but since it's only the rear that's blocked, legal.

They get you with a Revised Ordinance not the HRS. I can't recall for sure if it is 15-19.30 or not but I think it might be. I can do more research but, many Judges will uphold this citation unless you have a STi or a (RS coupe wing) and prove it came stock.

Sec. 15-19.30 Windshields to be unobstructed and equipped with wipers.
(a) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, side wings, or side or rear windows of such vehicle which obstructs the driver's clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:16 PM

Thanx for the info. I think it'll help later if I ever get stopped again. I think I should just get new springs. From what I hear, it's almost like they tell different people different things. The recon guy said I need to make sure the bottom of my lic. plate and the bottoms of my fog lights are at least 12 in. off the ground. Has anyone else had that problem? It's no big deal, I'll just get those fog covers and make a bracket for my plate. Thanx again for all the help!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:38 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
^^ i know that stock height is not 12" on an imprezawrx, so it would "fail" at stock level. i say Fark Recon! Always have, always will...........
Old 12-17-2006, 12:41 PM

Car Info: None.
Originally Posted by blueridgegc8
He said I should be able to push down on my car and it should travel at least an inch and that they should rebound at least an inch.
THAT is exactly why Hawaii's Recon law is just bullcrap. What if you get an inspector who's like 5'5" and 130 pounds? I'm 6'6" and almost 300 pounds. I guarantee we don't generate the same pushing force.

THERE IS NO SCIENCE to the stupid laws. If you have a law, and you're saying that there's a measurable element then you HAVE to have a testing proceedure! "Push on it" is just crap. What if my fender is fiberglass? I'm sure as hell not going to let Johnny The Inspector push down with all his might. Hell, even if it's metal I wouldn't let some schmuch wail down on my car. It's a CAR man! If my suspension was able to be deflected by a person pushing on it I would be seriously worried. Hell even on my 1500lb Mini I would be concerned if you could get anthing other than a wiggle by pushing on the fender.

I love Hawaii and don't want to live anywhere else - but MAN this place has some stupid-*** laws.

-Andy
Old 12-17-2006, 03:08 PM

Car Info: 05 wrb wrx wagon
the flaw with that part of recon (suspension travel) is that the way they check it is wrong. you don't check to see if a car has at least 2" of suspension travel by pushing down on it. if you had blown shocks, it would be easier to push down than a car with new/good condition shocks. you might want to lay that info on them, but it may not help.

i had recon for my last car (a protege 5) and passed it. they gave me the same bit about my suspension, so what i did was just set the shocks to the lightest setting (i had adjustable tokicos) and when i went back, no probs. 2nd time around, they gave me crap about my tint strip on the windshield though, when the 1st time there they said nothing.

imo, screw recon. it's just a way for the state to squeeze more money out of us tax payers.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:35 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is ridiculous! However, on the other hand, if I get stopped again, they can always issue me another $70 fine for not having a stupid recon sticker on my car. $70 fricken bucks! It's sooo trivial a thing to charge someone that much cash just because they want to personalize their car! If they really want us to take them seriously, they should come up with more accurate and efficient ways of letting us mod our rides and still be safe when driving. The "law" clearly states that they cannot fail you for having a windshield eyebrow that is illegally dark because as long as you can see out through it, it's legal. If you were to put a solid sticker there that is not transparent and can't see through, then it would be illegal because technically it "blocks driver's view". The tint on my windows are legally dark @ 35% but my windshield eyebrow is @ 32% and he never said anything about it although he did test my windows. The thing is, if you go to get your safety check, they test your windows there. If you pass, then logically, they wouldn't have to test your windows at the recon place. Also, if you change your rims and tires, they can fail you too. I'm not exactly sure why it matters, but this one too, seems trivial. Another thing is, when I got stopped by the cops, he gave me another citation for having a muffler that was "excessively loud" but when I went to the recon place, he said it was legal because Hawaii didn't have a law for exhaust anymore, that they did away with it. The worst thing is that they make it damn near impossible to mod your car and still stay "legal" then they stop you when you're driving around and anally violate you for every little thing that is prettymuch the opinion of the officer that stops you. What is "excessively loud" to one person, can be totally reasonable to another person. Crap, I should stop this before I get too carried away. Thanx for listening, anyway.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:30 PM

Car Info: 06 2.5i WGN & 06 WRX WGN
...and pull over harleys and beat up old ladies.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:38 PM

i also think that a lot of the laws are bogus. i think this makes me want to go just to see what they would fail me for, then ask them questions about the legitimacy of their "scientific" methods. I mean like latka said, i bet i can push down a lot harder than the little guy or gal at the recon office, but think about it. how much weight is riding on your springs and struts? a lot more force hits them everytime you hit a bump so why should some recon guy be able to make mine travel 2"? 2"!!! thats ridiculous. some cars won't move that much stock let alone with coils! my fog lights came stock and i will not remove them, so what if they are below 12"? they came STOCK! yeah anyone know what # to call to make an appointment? i wanna do this soon. i'm sick of cars getting tickets when trucks and bikes get away with murder. how many lifted trucks have gotten a ticket for recon? or bikes for loud pipes? it's plain bigotry and i for one will not back down. so lmk who to call so i can go and rip em a new one.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:27 AM

Car Info: None.
Originally Posted by Cynt
...and pull over harleys and beat up old ladies.
The Harley guys are the worst with their loud pipes... if I'm inside my car with the windows up and I can still feel the concussion from your "exhaust" as you ride by then the goddamn thing is *way* too loud.

Quick Reply: what's the deal!?