This is what happens when Jessie James gets pissed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 03:24 AM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
This is what happens when Jesse James gets pissed...

Or when my WRX is pissing me off (in my head at least).

http://bassque.gasullivan.com/rx7_sandrail_384.wmv

Gatling guns can **** **** UP.

Last edited by IS2Scooby; 04-04-2003 at 03:29 AM.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
M61 Vulcan

The GAU-4 20mm Vulcan (with two models, designated M61A1 and M61A2) is a hydraulically driven, 6 barreled, rotary action, air cooled, electrically fired gatling gun with selectable rates of fire of either 4000 or 6000 rounds per minute. It is mounted on F-104, F-105, later models of the F-106, F-111, F-4, B-58, F-15, F-16, F-22, F-14 and F/A-18 aircraft, and is used for short-range air-to-air combat with secondary usefulness in strafing ground targets. It was developed in 1946 by the United States Army Ordnance Research and Development Service, and manufactured by General Electric. Each of the gun's six barrels fires only once during each revolution of the barrel cluster; the six rotating barrels contribute to long weapon life by minimizing barrel erosion and heat generation. The gun's rate of fire, essentially 100 rounds per second, gives the pilot a shot density that will enable a "kill" when fired in one-second bursts. The weapon's current contractor is General Dynamics Armament Systems.
It used to be ground mounted as one of our primary Air Defense weapons, similar to how Jesse had his hooked-up.

Believe it or not, one of my company commanders, Waaaaay back in 1989 in the Republic of Panama, had 3 of them set up outside a PDF (Panamanian Defense Force) Barracks that we were attacking in order to suppress them being able to move freely and not be able to shoot back. Worked very well.

Also, like the quote said, they are mounted in AC130 'Spectre' gunships, aka Puff the Magic Dragon. When I was in Panama, during the same attack I was talking about above, a higher ranking soldier tried to get away from the attack. The Barracks happened to have the Canal directly behind and so he got on a large boat and started to pull away. Unfortunately for him, the Spectre was circling above and lit him up. He took several rounds, but one directly into his face (probably from looking up in awe). Since he was in the canal, and it wasn't the highest priority of work, it took us 3 days to retrieve him. I helped put him in a body bag, and what I saw will stay with me for the rest of my life. He had been in the hot sun for 3 days, laying in a small pool of salt water and blood. Not too pretty.

Last thing, did you notice in the video that the helicopter at one point was in what we call in the Army, the 'Gun-Target' line? This is so called because of the small probability of the shooter missing the target high or the rounds riccocheting. That was either very dumb or very brave. Also, didn't it look like there were people walking around the target? 30mm of lead will go anywhere it wants at a very, very high velocity. That was definitely dumb.

Thought this might be interesting.

I've already earned in Bachelor's degree in the art of killing people.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
hey gpatmac

so when the rounds hit the car, the car doesn't even move because the bullets are too light? they just go through and bounce off? i was figuring the car would be moving when they hit. sorry, i haven't shot anything like that before.
b
Old 04-04-2003, 10:39 AM
VIP Member

Yeah, that's because of velocity and aerodynamics.

It was the Hague Convention which, among other things, specifically bound nations at war to refrain from using bullets which would “expand or flatten easily in the human body...” and which was specifically aimed at soft or hollow nosed bullets.
We use such large but hardened, pointed bullets so that we have a lot of powder in the casing but it creates a small, almost sterile hole. In some cases, the bullet will cauterize, but mostly they go right through and cause death due to blood loss and septic effects.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:18 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
Wink

Pat, ... remind me to talk to you later ...
Old 04-04-2003, 03:21 PM
VIP Member

Hey Sean,

Don't forget to talk to me later.