what car would you be embarrassed to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 04:47 AM

Car Info: 01 Impreza 2.5RS (GM6) & '08 Evo MR
oh yeah...forgot to mention this car i also see around once in a while called Daewoo... i believe this company makes toothbrushes and home electronics and appliances... hhmm...i wouldn't want to drive one....
Old 09-04-2006, 04:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Originally Posted by 4080's_ReiJay
oh yeah...forgot to mention this car i also see around once in a while called Daewoo... i believe this company makes toothbrushes and home electronics and appliances... hhmm...i wouldn't want to drive one....
Yeah I would definitley be embarrassed to drive any Korean car. I just spend a few weeks in Korea, and 99% of the cars on the road are one of three brands: Hundai, Kia, Daewoo. All are garbage. My Hundai rental car had no more than 85 HP yet sucked gas like a SUV. It costs almost $90 to fill a 15 gallon tank in Korea.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:19 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
I'd have to say Korean cars. I've driven my co-workers two or three year old Kia, and I've got to say that my 12 year old Isuzu Trooper drives and rides way better than that car. I've also ridden in a friend's brand new Hyundai Tucson...not bad, but we'll see in a couple of years.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:31 PM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
Mr2spyder or miata... Total girlie cars....

Oh. crap....

Realistically, Any car which couldn't be auto-x'd, If you could pound it on the track without major chance of dying. it's still ok in my book...
Old 09-04-2006, 02:39 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
anything painted pink.. like the mary kay cars
Old 09-04-2006, 02:54 PM

Car Info: '03 wrx
hahaha guys! i had a '96 geo prizm. Got it new from my parents when i got my license.. that thing lasted me years! no complaints.. it started going down hill after my accident but it was a great car.. had it 8 years! I wasn't embarassed in it but i did want something more...

i wouldnt drive an aspire either.

i would hate having those kewl expensive sports cars.. pffffffffff thats why i dont own one
Old 09-04-2006, 04:33 PM

Car Info: AWD/FWD/RWD
Some of you guys need to open your eyes.

First of all, some are hating on 'domestic' cars like the geo metro (suzuki swift), geo prizm (toyota corolla), pontiac vibe (toyota matrix), etc are actually import vehicles. They get excellent gas mileage and/or have excellent build quality and reliability.

Also, domestic cars have gone a long way since the 70s and 80s. Just because they all aren't fast doesn't mean they don't get the job done. The dodge caravan pioneered the minivan in the 80s although Honda and Toyota have now taken the crown with the Odyssey and Sienna respectively. Ford and Chevy trucks still outperform the heavy duty offerings from the imports.

Have you guys forgotten about the Dodge Viper, Neon ACR/SRT-4, and especially the Corvette C5 and C6 ZO6?

Most of you are biased because you have never seen a Z06/Viper at the track (not the straight ones). C4 Corvettes are the car to have in AS and smoke STi/Evos all day. Same goes for the Neon ACR/SRT-4 in DS; they are proven competitors.

I am an import enthusiast too but I do respect some domestic vehicles in terms of performance and utility. The majority of import vehicles do offer better quality, reliability, and performance. However, you can't say that all domestic cars are crap. Some domestics do things (especially in terms of HD trucks) better.

Would I buy a domestic vehicle? No, for the type of cars that I am interested in, I would prefer import makes such as Honda, Subaru, and Toyota.

Cars I wouldn't get caught dead in?

1. Convertibles such as the VW cabriolet, New beetle, etc especially when riding with another male (not that there is anything wrong with that). Such vehicles are picked up on gaydar and are not for me. Several exceptions include the S2k or miata but the top would have to be up at all times.

2. Minivan; because I refuse to compromise my interest in sporty cars for extreme practicality. Why not just get a wagon, crossover, or a 2wd 4cyl crew cab truck if you really need the space/utility?

3. Gas guzzling SUV; because it is so impractical to be driving a 2 ton 1 gallon per mile behemoth to school, work, run errands. If you must have something that offers the commanding view of an SUV why not just get a crossover? I would only get one if I needed to tow something on a regular basis.

4. Any car that I don't use for its intended purpose once in a while. For instance, it doesn't make sense to me to buy a vehicle such as a Porsche, Lotus Elise, Ferrari, etc if you don't take it to the track. Sure we don't have any real track now but such cars a still capable at the auto-x (especially the Elise). I saw an Elise parked at the Ala Moana Bldg the other day and thought 'what a waste to daily drive that'. However, there is one bright side to that; when the owner gets sick of the car, you can buy an under utilized car for cheap!

Last edited by markpaco; 09-04-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:44 PM

Car Info: 06 Evo IX Graphite Gray Pearl
A ford colt.....

ya a colt
Old 09-04-2006, 04:59 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM Bugeye & Kawasaki Z1000
the newer vw beetle
any kind of daewoo
Old 09-04-2006, 05:23 PM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
Originally Posted by markpaco

First of all, some are hating on 'domestic' cars like the geo metro (suzuki swift), geo prizm (toyota corolla), pontiac vibe (toyota matrix), etc are actually import vehicles. They get excellent gas mileage and/or have excellent build quality and reliability.

Also, domestic cars have gone a long way since the 70s and 80s. Just because they all aren't fast doesn't mean they don't get the job done. The dodge caravan pioneered the minivan in the 80s although Honda and Toyota have now taken the crown with the Odyssey and Sienna respectively. Ford and Chevy trucks still outperform the heavy duty offerings from the imports.

Have you guys forgotten about the Dodge Viper, Neon ACR/SRT-4, and especially the Corvette C5 and C6 ZO6?

Most of you are biased because you have never seen a Z06/Viper at the track (not the straight ones). C4 Corvettes are the car to have in AS and smoke STi/Evos all day. Same goes for the Neon ACR/SRT-4 in DS; they are proven competitors.

I am an import enthusiast too but I do respect some domestic vehicles in terms of performance and utility. The majority of import vehicles do offer better quality, reliability, and performance. However, you can't say that all domestic cars are crap. Some domestics do things (especially in terms of HD trucks) better.

Would I buy a domestic vehicle? No, for the type of cars that I am interested in, I would prefer import makes such as Honda, Subaru, and Toyota.

Cars I wouldn't get caught dead in?

1. Convertibles such as the VW cabriolet, New beetle, etc especially when riding with another male (not that there is anything wrong with that). Such vehicles are picked up on gaydar and are not for me. Several exceptions include the S2k or miata but the top would have to be up at all times.

2. Minivan; because I refuse to compromise my interest in sporty cars for extreme practicality. Why not just get a wagon, crossover, or a 2wd 4cyl crew cab truck if you really need the space/utility?

3. Gas guzzling SUV; because it is so impractical to be driving a 2 ton 1 gallon per mile behemoth to school, work, run errands. If you must have something that offers the commanding view of an SUV why not just get a crossover? I would only get one if I needed to tow something on a regular basis.

4. Any car that I don't use for its intended purpose once in a while. For instance, it doesn't make sense to me to buy a vehicle such as a Porsche, Lotus Elise, Ferrari, etc if you don't take it to the track. Sure we don't have any real track now but such cars a still capable at the auto-x (especially the Elise). I saw an Elise parked at the Ala Moana Bldg the other day and thought 'what a waste to daily drive that'. However, there is one bright side to that; when the owner gets sick of the car, you can buy an under utilized car for cheap!
pure fricken genius...+10!!
Old 09-04-2006, 07:27 PM

Car Info: toaster
Originally Posted by markpaco

I agree 100%, the narrow-mindedness of this community has made me glad i do not drive a Wrx or sti anymore. You guys are embarrasing sometimes.

but to stay on topic, i wouldnt be caught dead in a mini van.

flame on.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:33 PM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
^^idk i have seen a few pimped out honda odysseys (sp?) here in japan that look decent. something i wouldn't be caught dead driving would be those little electric gem cars. man those things look gay, and slow, and gay.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:48 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
man,

growing up we was POOR. i would take anything that would get me from point A to B. even though my friends were driving mercedes, bmw, volvo... me - i had a 1973 chevy laguna station wagon.(while in the east coast) my 1st vehicle in hawaii was a 84 toyota corolla-

at this point in my life now... even with our successes... as for cars it's just metal, glass, plastic and rubber.... and i really dont think a particular car would have the power to make me feel embarrassed about anything-

thats my philosophical angle-

aloha from the summit of *-^-mauna kea-^-*
Old 09-04-2006, 08:45 PM

Car Info: 2011 White Forester.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Originally Posted by Shin RS
Mr2spyder or miata... Total girlie cars....
My thoughts exactly...especially if you wear a silk scarf while driving the car with the top down...

Quick Reply: what car would you be embarrassed to drive?