Well...It Was Going to Happened Sooner Or Later

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 04:10 PM

One more thing, sorry.

Unfortunately many police officers get that "us v. them" mentality ie. LEOs v. public. How many of you have people who write in forums saying how much they hate you? How many of you have to wear a bullet proof vest when you puy on your Times supermarket uniform, or other work attire. We are always on the defensive because we have to be for our own survival. It is a risk that we know, and no one forced us to be police officers. Let me tell you it really sucks to have one hand on your weapon and one hand on your "gun" when you shishi in a public bathroom. Thats our reality, and sometimes the public sees us as cheese**cks.

Now the drug problem in Hawaii is bad, but it is nothing like the mainland, and cops over here are nothing like the mainland. HPD officers (most of us) are very laid back. Try going to LA or somewhere in SoCal, and tell how it feels to have the officer draw out his weapon on every traffic stop. Imagine that when you are pulled over in Waikiki for an expired safety and the officer draws his weapon when he approaches your vehicle. Im sure you would be very happy to receive your citation.

Trust me I see your point, and I really did expect to get ripped by the board in here, but y'all have been very cordial. So for that I thank you.

*once again steps off soap box*
Old 11-22-2004, 04:20 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Originally Posted by keirnna
-Friday night, several of us ate at Zippy's in Kapolei. Afterwards we sat by our cars and talked for a while, until some cheesed!ck cop came and gave us attitude and told us to leave. When I said I was a paying customer and I could stay if I wanted he proceeded to call me say something like, "You don't need any trouble alright brother."
Wow, I missed that part. Well, the HPD headquarters IS pretty much next door to Zippy's.

There was a time when I was up on the lookout on Tantalus (not during afterhours) innocently stalking dorm girls w/my digital camera (j/k). I was taking pics of Manoa Valley at night. I had about 5 friends with me when two cars pulled up and started flashing their maglites in our eyes while tryiing to talk to us. Basically, every 3rd word was f*ck or sh!+. They searched for alcohol and found none (b/c we don't drink), then told us to get the f*ck out. None of us are trouble makers and the girls who were with us were so frightened that some of them cried on the way down.

Last edited by sneezerboi; 11-22-2004 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:03 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Originally Posted by luktang
So far I've only encountered ONE cop w/ baaaaaaaaaad attitude, most of them were cool. One cop commented about my exhaust after the breakin... I was s**tting bricks but turns out he was a car enthuasist too... I was lucky...
I also had a similar experience at the Tesoro on S. King. I went there to get my morning coffee and there were two officers sititng outside of their Mustangs drinking coffee. I was kinda nervous walking by them and when I came out of the store, one asked about the STi. I talked to them both for about 10 minutes. Everytime I see the same officer, he always asks how the car is and if I have done anything to it. No big deal, no problem. They are people doing their jobs just like everyone else. And since their job is a little more dangerous than my job, I have to give them some credit.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
I have friends that have become cops and they have vowed to remain "cool". It's the real buttpirates that flip out on a power trip that really raise my hackles. But, whatcha gonna do?

edit: [like the one that peppersprayed Jayson and I]

Last edited by IS2Scooby; 11-22-2004 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:22 PM

Car Info: '13 WRX Hatch OBP
What is scarier to you guys the cops who know a lot about cars ie. they know what you have done to you car or the ones who dont know jack squat. ie the ones who freak out about the stock spoiler on the sti or evo.

Its kinda funny, one of my academy class mates had pulled over a sti, I was there to cover him. He had caught the guy racing, so im sure his turbo was hot as a mother. Well need less to say the guy had a turbo timer. I was looking at my class mate and saw him freaking out at the guy cause his car was still running. The funny thing was the guy was reaching to deactivate it but my class mate wouldn't let him take his hands off the steering wheel.
I walked up to the window, and saw it counting down on his dash. I laughed and said, "brah, you get a turbo timer." The releif in the guys eyes was funny. I talked my friend out of giving him a ticket, and spent the rest of the night trying to explain what a trubo timer is and why the guys car kept running after he turned off the ignition.

Who ever that was, youre welcome, dunno know if he reads these posts.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
Originally Posted by Anglo
10-4, WRX Wagon, bone stock except for turbo timer more to come.
10-4, but where is your 10-7 haha... wow thats really cool that you own a wagon.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
One more thing, sorry.

Unfortunately many police officers get that "us v. them" mentality ie. LEOs v. public. How many of you have people who write in forums saying how much they hate you? How many of you have to wear a bullet proof vest when you puy on your Times supermarket uniform, or other work attire. We are always on the defensive because we have to be for our own survival. It is a risk that we know, and no one forced us to be police officers. Let me tell you it really sucks to have one hand on your weapon and one hand on your "gun" when you shishi in a public bathroom. Thats our reality, and sometimes the public sees us as cheese**cks.

Now the drug problem in Hawaii is bad, but it is nothing like the mainland, and cops over here are nothing like the mainland. HPD officers (most of us) are very laid back. Try going to LA or somewhere in SoCal, and tell how it feels to have the officer draw out his weapon on every traffic stop. Imagine that when you are pulled over in Waikiki for an expired safety and the officer draws his weapon when he approaches your vehicle. Im sure you would be very happy to receive your citation.

Trust me I see your point, and I really did expect to get ripped by the board in here, but y'all have been very cordial. So for that I thank you.

*once again steps off soap box*
Well I have been hated many places. I'm a Marine. People have spat on the sidewalks when I walked by them. I've stood armed guard with a condition 1 Automatic Rifle. How many foriegn countries have you been to where you had to worry about your life because you had to wear a dumb green uniform. Actually the drug problem is worse here. I've lived in California, Japan, Virginia, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, and South Carolina. None of those places had cops like Hawaii. You know where are the cops when I have called 911? No where! I was nearly run off the road by about 30 street racers comming home on the H3, so I called 911, you know what they did? They argued with me, and said that the H3 doesn't have an exit onto the Likelike! I was so pi$$ed! No help whatsoever, but when I get a ticket they throw the book at me. I've called the cops at least 5 times since comming to hawaii, and not once has a single thing been done. I've never said I'd meet with them other than the street racer ordeal because I've been in a hurry every single time. I never have had a gun pulled on me even in So-Cal, but maybe that's because I'm white, right Jon ? Oh yeah and when do the cops plan on following the laws themselves? I see HPD driving down the wrong side of the road, driving in the shoulder with out lights on just cruising!

How many of you have to wear a bullet proof vest when you puy on your Times supermarket uniform, or other work attire
I've had to wear a flack jacket all the time for months on end after September 11th in Japan. I'm not even close what some have to do. Pat and many others have gone to fight war.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:23 PM
VIP Member

Here are some statistics for everyone: http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/...ocal/hi/hi.pdf
Old 11-22-2004, 07:11 PM

First let me say thankyou, I appreciate all the military, you guys see sh** that no human should see.

But, Im not trying to argue with you man. I know there are bad apples, and for that I'm sorry. As a Marine you, then, of all people should understand about putting one group of people under one umbrella. Don't bunch us all together. There are more than 2,000 officers on O'ahu. Im sorry you have had bad experiances with HPD, trust me I have had my share of run ins with Marines, and it would be very easy to say that are Marines are a**holes, but theyre not. Maybe with the new Cheif, things will change. I don't want to make excuses for anyone, what happened to you is wrong. You should complain about it.

I'm not lying to you about the drug problem, all those places that you have been in have very different laws when it comes to search and seizure. And a lot stiffer penalties. This post has pretty much been hi-jacked, but I'll rant about the courts. A lot of the time when we make drug arrests, the guy is back on the street usually within the week. It is a huge problem. Here, you arrest one guy who has 18 felony convictions, and he is less than thirty. In CA or any of the other states there is no way he would be out on the streets again.

You can't have it both ways, did anyone read the article in the midweek about the new cheif cracking down on speeding and other things because it ties into autothefts and drugs and what not. Who knows maybe he's right. But many of the problems are that the "real criminals" know that even if they get caught, all they get is slap on the wrist. It is frustrating.

Also, you should do a ride along with an officer one day. Try district 1 (downtown) or District 6 (waikiki) on a friday or saturday night (if you want I could talk to Mike Hunt you could ride with him.) You can see the kind of B.S. calls officers get. Its kinda hard to bust the drug dealers when aunty Mae calls the police because the car parked on the street has an expired safety check.

Sorry you have had such a bad experiance with PO's overhere, but I do take offense when you say we are ALL a**holes. Im not trying to change your mind about cops overhere, but just open you mind to the possiblity that there are some good apples too. :P

Last edited by Anglo; 11-22-2004 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by keirnna
I've called the cops at least 5 times since comming to hawaii, and not once has a single thing been done.
so true and its sad to say that it is...
Old 11-22-2004, 11:45 PM
VIP Member

Man almost all Marines are @ss holes. I know how stupid they are because I am forced to still be one and be around them everyday. See you guys at the cruise.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:30 AM

Car Info: 02 RS
I'm not lying to you about the drug problem, all those places that you have been in have very different laws when it comes to search and seizure. And a lot stiffer penalties. In CA or any of the other states there is no way he would be out on the streets again.
i'd have to agree the criminals know how to work the laws. much of our drug problem has to do with state laws and our ever growing criminal population. we can't even house them all here locally. now with the growing asian drug push in the islands it might even get worst.

i'd have to say HPD is working on cracking down on drug problem but there is only so many officers compared to how big the drug problem is.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:02 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
my point of wisdom in relation to the beginning of this thread-

if your car is illegal and you drive through waikiki or any OTHER part of oahu....
don't come cryin' about how "harrassed" you were when you got cited.
das jus me.
i have family and friends in HPD and i must say for the most part... they rock. i have done 3 ride-a-long programs in waikiki. and i agree with angelo-your perspective on cops changes a bit. the only thing about ride-a-longs is - i think you have to be serious about joining HPD. i know before you could just ride a long for the heck of it. waikiki is the best- its kinda like COPS on T.V.- only without the rednecks

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna kea-^-*
Old 11-23-2004, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
Originally Posted by Haole-Pino
Really?!.....Wow i got lucky then.....
yeh u did it's 29% let go but usally not

Quick Reply: Well...It Was Going to Happened Sooner Or Later