Well...It Was Going to Happened Sooner Or Later

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Cops here only serve themselves by protecting their own necks. I hate them.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:44 PM

Car Info: X-driver of the "SWAGON"
Originally Posted by gdogg
you got tagged by HPD or sheriffs? lagoon drive is their(Sheriffs) beat...

Sheriffs....the frist time and HPD the second time up on the north shore..
Old 11-21-2004, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by keirnna
Cops here only serve themselves by protecting their own necks. I hate them.
I resent that. Not all of us are like that. Gimme a break.

First post. and I know Im going to get a rash of Sh** but Ive read and read a lot of the posts in here and enjoy the site. But....

Mike is a good guy and a great cop. One thing I will say for him is he is consistant. He has been known to tag other officers, and I respect him for that.

We all know the risk of putting things on our cars that are illegal. So dont get pissed off when you get caught. HPD has internal Affairs that goes through the parking garage and tags officers all the time, so we are not immune beleive me. We can not only get the ticket but can face suspension.

The quote from keirnna, burns a little. For the most part (speaking for me atleast) if you are cool to me, and answer my questions about your car, Ill let you go with a TSAC (traffic safety awareness card) or a verbal warning. There are quite a few times where I have let a STi or a WRX go, for the guy being cool.

Also, you never know your recon violations could be the way you get your car back if it is stolen. Cop pulls behind the idiot who stole your car runs the plate because of no recon, car comes back stolen. PO gets his stat for the felony arrest, you get your car back. (far fetched but does happen). Sorry so long had to make the first on count.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:29 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Hey, do you own a Subaru? if so, you may just be the first cop I know of on here.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:31 PM

10-4, WRX Wagon, bone stock except for turbo timer more to come.

Last edited by Anglo; 11-21-2004 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:44 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Cool! you going on the cruise on Sunday?
Old 11-22-2004, 12:02 AM

Still pending. Chances are pretty good though. Ill wear a target on my head. Should I bring my Tag Book?? KIDDING KIDDING
Old 11-22-2004, 02:56 AM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
Talking

Originally Posted by shaggadelic
tint laws isn't 21% i work at a tint shop its 35%on any 2dr or 4dr car/wagon and 35% in the front to and anything in the back if u have a suv or truck and its a $97 a window and 1000 for the guys who installed it. a

btw i got pulled over for my surfboard sticking out of my car alittle then they thought i stole my friends car and he's tags ex. the day b4 and he had a cracked tail light so my 5 tickets were go to court they let me go for no license tho... but there was no speeding ticket i got pulled over cause of my surf board
I know the tent law is 35%...that's what i put on my car, but the law allows a leeway of so much % to make up for the tint found inside factory glass..When I first bought the car it had no tent but the glass was slightly dark...when I added the 35% tent the tent was measured at 21.3%.....
Old 11-22-2004, 03:01 AM

Car Info: '13 WRX Hatch OBP
+/- 6% HPD doesnt cite for anything over 29%
Old 11-22-2004, 03:40 AM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
Talking

Originally Posted by Hoppie
+/- 6% HPD doesnt cite for anything over 29%
Really?!.....Wow i got lucky then.....
Old 11-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Originally Posted by Anglo

First post. and I know Im going to get a rash of Sh** but Ive read and read a lot of the posts in here and enjoy the site. But....

Mike is a good guy and a great cop. One thing I will say for him is he is consistant. He has been known to tag other officers, and I respect him for that.

We all know the risk of putting things on our cars that are illegal. So dont get pissed off when you get caught. HPD has internal Affairs that goes through the parking garage and tags officers all the time, so we are not immune beleive me. We can not only get the ticket but can face suspension.

The quote from keirnna, burns a little. For the most part (speaking for me atleast) if you are cool to me, and answer my questions about your car, Ill let you go with a TSAC (traffic safety awareness card) or a verbal warning. There are quite a few times where I have let a STi or a WRX go, for the guy being cool.

Also, you never know your recon violations could be the way you get your car back if it is stolen. Cop pulls behind the idiot who stole your car runs the plate because of no recon, car comes back stolen. PO gets his stat for the felony arrest, you get your car back. (far fetched but does happen). Sorry so long had to make the first on count.
Anglo, you make a few good points. For the most part, if any of us get pulled over for the minor citations (no recon, etc.), we are at fault and most of the time, we are just voicing our opinions and feelings. It's not so much "getting caught", but its more so the attitude the officer shows that is the root of anger. As in my case, there was no need for the officer to get mad at me for tapping the ash off my cigarette (which mostly flew into my car), but he deemed it necessary to tell me he can tag me for littering? Come on. The cigarette butt was still between my fingers. It's unfortunate (not just dealing with police officers, but even here on the site) that the actions of the few make it bad for the rest.

I have a certain degree of respect for police officers and other public servants. You guys (and gals) are underpaid and overworked. I am a recipient of a CJ degree and was almost going into law enforcement, so I think I have an idea about what the job entails.

You don't need to wear a target on your head if you meet anyone from the group. As with everyone understanding your point of view, they should do the same about yours.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Originally Posted by Anglo

Well I am proud of police in many other parts of America, but I have never received such demeaning as I have by the police force here. I knew you were on the boards, and I'm glad that you finally posted. How about this post:

I work mostly night shifts and I see drug deals,punks fighting,locals picking on tourist almost every night....They got to get there priority's straight in Waikiki......
I know that not every cop here is shady or bad; you for example are probably a great cop. I look forward to meeting you if you come to the toys for tots cruise. I'd just like to know if any of you have been harassed as much as you have by the cops here? I don't street race, I don't have illegal tint, I do need a recon sticker, and I speed occasionally. I did try to be legal and have a recon sticker, but they told me that my suspension, which had a spring rate softer than stock was to stiff to pass. I tried to explain to the inspectors that the stock suspension was even stiffer, but they didn't care; they said I must have "2 of spring travel to pass. My legal tint that I had professionally done was about 1/2 an inch too low, so there was another hit. They harassed me about the wing, which is freaking stock! I'll never go there again, because they made it damn near impossible to follow the law You can't pass recon with a stock STi if they have the same rules they used on me.

Here are some examples of my experience with Hawaii cops:

-The cop who is always at the tracks has illegal neon windshield washer sprayers, but he drives around with them every day.
-I get called a howley (however you spell it) when I was pulled over.
-My boss lets a friend who was supposed to be sober drive (he didn't know the guy that he let drive has been busted for evading the police 3 times before in his Orange WRX.) So my boss bailed out of his moving Jeep Rubicon, and suffered injuries. He immediately called the police to tell him where he was at, and what happened. The came there and ARRESTED HIM! He got charged with a DUI, along with a few other charges. Now about 3 months later they have been dropped. He had to spend $8,000 on an attorney, his name was run through the dirt, and he almost lost his job all because the police wanted a scapegoat.
-Friday night, several of us ate at Zippy's in Kapolei. Afterwards we sat by our cars and talked for a while, until some cheesed!ck cop came and gave us attitude and told us to leave. When I said I was a paying customer and I could stay if I wanted he proceeded to call me say something like, "You don't need any trouble alright brother."

Now Hawaii has some of the worst rates of drug use in the nation. I don't care what other think, but I feel that using weed is wrong. I also think all the other slew of drugs out there are bad, and they need to be off the streets. I wish that drug users would just O/D and die so I could sleep better every night and stop having to pay my taxes to do something for or towards them. If their are children trapped by their drug using parents. Then the POLICE need to get off their @sses, and arrest them. REALLY WHERE ARE THE POLICE TO WIPE OUT THE DRUGS? WHY IS ICE SO RAMPANT HERE? Do your jobs by cleaning up the streets. I know not every cop is bad, but here it seems like the majority may be. I wouldn't be surprised if the cops are perpetuating the drug problem here.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:10 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
So far I've only encountered ONE cop w/ baaaaaaaaaad attitude, most of them were cool. One cop commented about my exhaust after the breakin... I was s**tting bricks but turns out he was a car enthuasist too... I was lucky...
Old 11-22-2004, 03:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I personally know 2 current police officers and 2 retired officers (one ran the juvenile portion of the PD and the other was in charge of the SWAT team or whatever we call it in HI).

I have actually NEVER been given a ticket in HI and only got pulled over once for illegal front & rear blackouts and illegal lights when I was in highschool. The guy was really cool and basically told me to go home and take them off. I did and that was the last time I was ever pulled over in HI.

In the mainland, I got like 4 speeding tickets...all my fault because I didn't know about the speed traps that they have up there. Sometimes, I choose to go with the flow of traffic rather than the speed limit and it backfires on me.

In HI, I really don't get to drive on roads that you could speed on so I don't have the problem of getting tickets anymore Most of my commuting is urban roads and I hardly go on the H1 since I live in town.

As far as illegal parts, I guess I'm lucky to be blessed with a home parking lot that has a really freaky entrance that scratches the crap out of any slightly lowered car. As such, I am stuck with stock ride height. Furthermore, I decided to go the "non-attention grabbing" route because I'm tired of thinking that "the man" is after me
Old 11-22-2004, 03:46 PM

Keirnna,

Most Cops will totally agree with you on fighting the drug problem. the problem is the very liberal hawaii constitution and courts. We cant just go up to someone (well technically not supposed to) who we think is dealing or doing drugs and arrest them. Our hands are very tied when it comes to this. For example the stop and talk (federally legal) where an LEO (law enforcement offical) can stop someone and find out what they're upto. Im sure many of you think that an officer has done this to you in the past, but chances are someone called on you, probably our favorite caller Mr. Anonymous.

Truthfully this reason is why many of the "street racer" community gets pulled over. Having all the mods on the cars give the cop the chance to do a stop and talk. A lot of the "bad apples" (sorry I still talk like a haole) have given the performance community a bad rep, so for many of the old timers and some of the new gung ho's, it legally gives us a chance to "chit chat" with you.

If you want to help with the drug problem, call 911 when you see something going on, get as much information as you can ie. physical description, lic plates, etc. But the most important, leave a contact number or be willing to meet with the officer. People never want to get involved. That is the problem. We are just a band aid, we patch the problem, the public has to fix it. You guys want to help, than help us with the "probable cause." Maybe this club could start a cruise to wipe out ice. Get the word out that police need to have a "complainant" not just a reporting person (anonymous). Cases have to be air tight to get any sort of conviction, and frankly Mr. Anonymous doesn't cut it. You have to let the courts know that you have to be willing to go to court and testify to what you saw.

Sorry Ill get off my soap box.

Quick Reply: Well...It Was Going to Happened Sooner Or Later