weird problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:59 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
weird problem!

so, i bought some gauges to replace the ****ty ones my subie came with, http://www.glowshift.com. i got a oil pressure, air/fuel, and vac boost. the only one i worked on this morning was the oil pressure because the wires were already ran, i just needed to change the sender switch and the gauge. so i did the gauge side without problem. to change my sender switch i had to take out the passenger headlight because it's mounted right behind the headlight. so, i get all that jaz off and couldn't unscrew the switch from the stainless steel line that goes to the engine. i needed a pair of vise grips and didn't have any, but there was a store about a mile down, so i dropped the hood and took off (without a grill or headlight). two blocks down the road my car stalled for the 1st time ever, and then again another block, and then the oil light came on...

details:

- i don't have any oil leaks
- it would stall when i would engage the clutch and take the load off the engine
- when i put the headlight and grill back on, everything ran normal
- the oil light still comes on every once in a while, but there still is no oil problem
- i did end up getting the new switch on, but it just reads 100, meaning it's not hooked up right. but i'm pretty sure it is. i put the old switch on with the new gauge, and it worked. even though the pressure was off, it was still reading pressure.

soo... any comments, questions???
Old 04-11-2008, 10:09 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
i'm confused with this "sending switch" thing you keep talking about. Is this a mechanical or electric sending unit? Do you have a "sandwich" adapter for the sending unit? where is the sending unit connecting into the block?

Jon
Old 04-12-2008, 12:06 AM

sorry for the confusion. it's electric, and the unit connects to the block via a stainless steal hose. there are two wires on it, one to ground the unit, and the other to send the pressure signal to the gauge. sorry if i'm incorrectly naming it. and as for the sandwich adapter... not to sure what that is... but i'm pretty sure i don't have one. the hose is screwed directly into the block and goes right to the sending switch, and thats it. i had two other sending switches hooked up to the hose and the previous two worked fine. hope that helps some. my bad, i'm still green in this area!
Old 04-12-2008, 04:12 AM

Car Info: 05 Aspen White STi wid 2 AK47's in da trunk!
im not trying to be smart, but isn't it called a sending unit?

anyway, my friend had that problem before but on a totally different car. his problem was he attached the wires to something that looked like a sending unit but it was something else. it gave out a signal and had his gauges pinned so it wouldn't properly read his oil pressure. just like what you mentioned.

im pretty sure you double checked your work but take another look, check those schematics again, use a multimeter, and good luck.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:00 AM

yea, sending unit is the name, i looked it up I bought the sending unit with the gauge. i'm not using the stock one... and thats brings another question to the table. why is my check oil light on when the sending unit and gauge are on their own circuit?
Old 04-12-2008, 09:13 AM

Car Info: 05 Aspen White STi wid 2 AK47's in da trunk!
Originally Posted by conflict43
why is my check oil light on when the sending unit and gauge are on their own circuit?
what about the harness for the stock sending unit? did you leave it unplugged? the engine will need that signal especially for these OBD II engines, they throw codes out all the time like it's in style or something. did you tap in the wires for the original sending unit so the somputer can get some kinda reading?
Old 04-12-2008, 10:11 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI, Grey
Do you like your new gauges? How did they loook with the rest of your car?
Old 04-12-2008, 01:51 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by HAT3R 671
what about the harness for the stock sending unit? did you leave it unplugged? the engine will need that signal especially for these OBD II engines, they throw codes out all the time like it's in style or something. did you tap in the wires for the original sending unit so the somputer can get some kinda reading?
i didn't touch the stock sending unit. i didn't really want to mess with it. so i made the gauge it's own circuit. so, both sending units are operational as of now. i know i cut some corners and that is obviously the wrong answer, haha. so, i'm going to redo the entire thing to the key. i guess i learned something. thanks a lot for all the advice, this community rocks!

Originally Posted by Mystic_88
Do you like your new gauges? How did they loook with the rest of your car?
yea, i like them, they look great at night, but during the day it's hard to read them. i thought the LEDs were brighter... so i bought the tinted gauges to match my future STI dash cluster and they do the full sweep when you start the car. cool, modern design, looks nice at night, and hard to see during the day, 7 of 10