water/meth injection fail safe.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:00 PM

Car Info: 06 Subaru WRX STI
water/meth injection fail safe.

any one has any experience with water/meth kits? AEM to be specific.
im looking into AEM's water/meth monitoring system which is a failsafe but not 100% sure on the install on it.

i know there is a way to to switch your failsafe to run off limp mode, but i dont want it to throw codes and CEL. I was looking into just grounding the EBCS as the fail safe, it would just run off of wastegate psi. But do not know exactly how that will go, does anyone know what else happens on groudning the EBCS in an event of a failure? What does the ECU do? pull timing, more fuel etc. etc. ??

any tips of installation of this kit will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:30 AM

Car Info: STI
You can ground the test wires (the green clips) and the ECU will go into limp mode and pull from different timing tables and switch to a different fuel table, but you need someone to set those tables for you through a reflash with using it as a failsafe in mind. I forget which side of the test connector you'd have to ground.

You could alternatively add a solenoid in line (normally closed) and tee (you would need 2 tees) into the vacuum line to the turbo wastegate. This would be wired to the aem failsafe so that when activated it opens and sends all pressure to the waste gate, and thus you'd be running the lowest boost level possible. I'll bet there are diagrams of this if you download the aem failsafe instructions.

if you're afraid of check engine lights etc..I would add the second solenoid.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 PM

i see what you mean. i looked for the install instructions all over the place but cant find one, only the install for the meth kit itself. i havent bought the failsafe yet but finding out if this install is complicated or not will determine if i will buy it now or in the future. and when you say someone needs to set the limp mode tables need to be adjusted by someone, you mean the tuner right? if so would it be a good idea to speak with my tuner on which way he prefers the failsafe before i choose a route to go with? im very brand new to methanol injection kits. it says that the failsafe is designed to work in conjunction with the 'boost safe' off of the aem controller? meaning it will trigger the failsafe in an event of a failure in the system, open, short, leaks, during power up. does it still trigger the failsafe AT ANY TIME there is a fault that takes place? say for example youre at full boost, and suddenly you have a leak before the nozzle - fail safe triggered? im assuming yes? just want to make sure.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:19 PM

I didnt look at the instructions, but they have all the manuals on the aem site.
Yes you should ask the tuner what failsafe strategy is best. You're probably going to want to ask beforehand and have it installed before the dyno time.

Also the aem failsafe requires tuning in and of itself. It's not plug and play. You have to set the windows for it. It's better to download the instructions so you can get a grasp of what it can do. But I'm assuming that's not something you want to do and want the tuner to do it. There's no harm in having a failsafe but as a necessity it depends on how much water/meth to fuel you inject.

I've looked at the aem failsafe but haven't played with it. From what I know it reads the flow and the user sets the windows above and below the curve. It's only as good as your settings.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:30 AM

Im probably capable of adjusting the window myself and setting the failsafe. But if its something required by the tuner to do then im gee with that. also at this point i was thinking of not even running a failsafe, unless it is 100% needed. its a good investment i know for sure, and as for the mix im looking at doing a 50/50 mix. so with that mix, is it necessary to absolutely, positively, 100% run a failsafe?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by SUMATIC808
Im probably capable of adjusting the window myself and setting the failsafe. But if its something required by the tuner to do then im gee with that. also at this point i was thinking of not even running a failsafe, unless it is 100% needed. its a good investment i know for sure, and as for the mix im looking at doing a 50/50 mix. so with that mix, is it necessary to absolutely, positively, 100% run a failsafe?
The jet sizing is related to the mixture. You could run 100% methanol, but if you only run 5% of your total fuel the impact will be so small that a failure wont hurt anything. Most people run 20% or more at 100% methanol mixtures. That means that 20% of your fuel is coming from the WMI kit. That's when bad stuff happens if it doesnt work.

If you run 50/50, most guys run between 15-20% of total fuel by volume. It's based on math. You take your injector size, 550cc for example, multiply by 4 and that equals 2200cc. Then you multiply by .2 to come out with 440cc. That's the size injector nozzle you'd need to run 20% of total fuel by volume.

the general consensus is 50/50..most run 15-20% of total fuel volume
100% water=15% or less of total fuel volume
100% methanol=20% or more

You should ask your tuner how much % of total fuel you should run and what mixture he prefers. Then you do the math and pick the nozzle size.
If you run a low percentage of total fuel, it will have a small effect on your tune and wont be dangerous if it fails. But then you wont get much effect from it. If you run more, you'll obviously get more of an effect.

This is how I understand it. I've heard people locally say meth injection is bad or what not, but I don't understand it in those simple terms. It all depends on how much you spray. The more of total fuel volume you spray the more really really bad stuff can happen if it doesnt work. The more water you run, the less total volume you can spray because water doesn't ignite and you'l get misfires. If you run more meth, since it's a fuel, you can run as much as you want, but you'll be relying on it a lot.

I run mine aggressively, but then I know what's going to happen if it fails (I have a failsafe though), and I'm not going to be mad about it. I know exactly how much air fuel ratio will change too if it does fail.

I personally would recommend an aquamist hsf3, but it sounds like you already have the AEM.The cost of the aquamist is more, but there is NO WAY your tuner will tell you that he'd rather tune the aem system than the aqua mist, trust me.

Last edited by reido; 05-23-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:54 PM

I wont weigh in on what you should get as far as failsafes are concerned. I've tried to help others in the past only to have bad experiences.
I would make one recommendation that your tuner would likely agree with and that I think you should get no matter what. You should get a Turboxs knocklite and install that right away. It taps into the stock knock sensor and rpm wires and gives you a visual warning when there's knock. You should get one if you run meth injection or not, especially if you're on the stock block. If you see it blink, you should take your foot off the throttle asap. It will go a long way to keep your motor alive.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 PM

thanks a lot man. i appreciate all the info. now, i did not know you calculate your nozzle size, i thought it was rated for HP ranges. i will look into that knock lite. sounds like a good investment. and i just emailed chris from AMS seeing what he has to say about it.