US Army Soldier refusses to go to War (Iraq)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by bpang1
no one is gonna hire him or elect him with his kind of record.
Not so fast
I recall a certain draft dodger that didn't inhale, who just so happened to find himself in the White House, Hmmmm. I also remember a turn coat that just ran for pres.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Originally Posted by Psycholis
I agree with him. It's about time someone came up and said something that actually headlines. It's too bad the media will probably turn it around and make him into being the bad guy. I myself considered joining the military but the general concensus of my peers was, "What? With the war going on? You crazy?" To fight a war that a nation doesn't support, that was declared illegally and that causes the loss of life without reason isn't part of my agenda. War in general is a damnable thing and I hate to think that our country can only work on the basis of fighting. What was our plan after we won? Do we fight the next "bad guys" until we've taken out everyone? Disagree with me, hate me, argue with me if you want, but I for one am tired of this damn war. I have the utmost respect for our soldiers that fight for us, and I will always support them as individuals because they are our countrymen. They are people like you and me, they are not tools of an agenda without cause. I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed for all this banter, but I thought it was something I had to get off my chest.
Problem is he did join. Here's the problem:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

He signed a contract and took an oath just like 3,000 other American men/women who have went to serve (whether or not they agreed to the war and the reasons behind it) and they died for their service. He's not trying to be "noble" and denounce the war. He's just trying to get out of it becuase he is a coward and an individual with no integrity.

Hope he enjoys Kansas. I hear it is nice this time of year.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:03 AM

Car Info: 2001 BRP RSTi
^^ I totally agree, myself being in the Navy, I took that oath... and we have a guy from my submarine who is a Store Keeper that went out to the war, I would do the same thing in his place because that is what I signed up to do. He will get whats comming to him so c'est la vie!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:16 AM

Car Info: 05 obp sti
what a P###y!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by bpang1
Actually, his dad was the head of the Campaign Spending Commission...which made him the guy that all the politicians feared.

This guy may have had aspirations of public office because of his pops and thus decided to get into the military to boost his resume for a future career in politics. I think its pretty safe to say that this dude will have to live off of his parents for a while because no one is gonna hire him or elect him with his kind of record.
Hey GWB got elected twice so anything is possible with money, how many "coke headed, drunk driving incidents" did he have?

But this guy deserves to get whatever he gets. He swore an oath, there were no exception clauses in there.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:28 AM

Car Info: 2002 Legacy GT Wagon
Point taken. As for this guy, it's not like he's backing down from his punishment either. He made the choice to join and now he's making the choice not to follow orders. In both cases he had to face the consequences based on what he feels is morally right.

As for the reference to the Vietnam war - possibly the worst war we've ever fought in terms of moral character - this is exactly what the Iraq war is turning to. A small group of insurgence using underground tactics is taking on the greatest military in the world and bringing them to a standstill. When is enough, enough?

Take this last bit with a grain of salt: No country historically speaking has had their democracy forced on them. I hated the Saddam regime as much as any other person, and good riddence to the man, but forcing our government on the nation didn't make things better. I stand by the idea that it is a better system when it works, but their country has to come to it by choice, not because we nudged it to them.

War is hell no matter the reasoning. Some times I wish our country could find less violent ways to earn our freedom. I forget the statistic, but I think it was like 11 wars since inception? We've gotten really good at killing people by now. Not the most proud achievement from my standpoint, but like you've all said, it's just my opinion.

How long did the general public go thinking this was a war on terrorism, that Iraq had ties with Al-Queda and that they had weapons of mass destruction? That was the premise of starting this war and here we are today still fighting it when all the above premises were untrue. Did we ever find the guy who attacked us on 9/11? Do we have the leaked video of that guy's execution? Good job on Saddam, but we lost focus on what we're really fighting for.

Alright, that last bit had nothing to do with the guy's case, but this is more ranting I had to get off my chest. I hold to my original disclaimer: I have the greatest respect for our armed forces and I cheer for them as individuals. I'm just not the biggest fan of their leader.

edit: Sorry Joey. This is mega blah blah. If it's totally OT, you can just close or delete or whatever.

Last edited by Psycholis; 01-05-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:16 PM

Car Info: 07 Satin Pearl White STi
As far I as know anyone in the Military can refuse to obey an Order BUT they pay the price which is imprisonment..

So he knew what he was doing joining the military so he deserves to go to prison thats the price he pays for disobeying an order.. He should have thought more before he joined the Military, what did he think he was going to be doing - Knitting sweaters or something
Old 01-05-2007, 06:02 PM

Car Info: black bugeye
Ill laugh my a** off when I find out that his platoon or group or what evers its called is back home in a year and his *** is still locked up with 5 more to go. Dont drop the soap buddy. Thanks to everyone who is serving and who has served. God bless.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 AM

Car Info: 2006 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
I was in the military for 13 years and was proud to serve.....I think it is extremely important to understand why you are joining....Just my .02 cents. It is sad to see something like this happen, but he knew what he was getting in to when he joined.

Mark
Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by Dog Chapman
Ill laugh my a** off when I find out that his platoon or group or what evers its called is back home in a year and his *** is still locked up with 5 more to go. Dont drop the soap buddy. Thanks to everyone who is serving and who has served. God bless.
Yeah that is exactly whats going to happen too...And yes it will be funny.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by ipozestu
Not so fast
I recall a certain draft dodger that didn't inhale, who just so happened to find himself in the White House, Hmmmm. I also remember a turn coat that just ran for pres.
You got a point but those two guys didn't do those things with as much fanfare as this guy is doing it
Old 01-08-2007, 11:46 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI, Grey
He is a coward and a hoax, actually it is better he do it now instead of him running away from a fight in Iraq, and leaving his Soldiers behind... Never-the-less, signing up after 9-11, he was assured his career would be filled with a tour there. So regardless, he is just like his father.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Mystic_88
He is a coward and a hoax, actually it is better he do it now instead of him running away from a fight in Iraq, and leaving his Soldiers behind... Never-the-less, signing up after 9-11, he was assured his career would be filled with a tour there. So regardless, he is just like his father.
Yep...that'd be worse...then again if he is such a coward I would hope his NCOs would be the real leaders in his unit as he would be more of a non existent leader.