Under $400! Competition Clutch Releases WRX & STi Clutch Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 PM

Car Info: camber toe
Under $400! Competition Clutch Releases WRX & STi Clutch Upgrades

https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-158/competition-clutch-releases-wrx-sti-clutch-upgrades-under-%24400-197246/

Looked into this and wondered if anyone would approve of this?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:57 PM
banned

Car Info: .
Stay away from any puck style clutch regardless of what Honda guys say.
4 wheel drive and puck is not good for flywheel, hub, axles, diff etc, etc, etc..
Organic and slip is your friend for daily driver and especially for 4 wheel drive
About CC clutches..dont know too much sorry
Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Wrx
i got a stage 3 and i dont have any problems...
Old 01-02-2009, 09:30 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
^^^^^ i hope you didn't base your clutch stage based off your car stage setup if so thats a no no and buh bye gears

6puck = me no gears (along with a faulty clutch slave/clutch cyclinder lol)

Last edited by shaggadelic; 01-02-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:35 PM
banned

Ironically, the problem with 6 pucks is that they DONT slip, and when they do, they pretty much are like a grinding wheel on your flywheel.
The hotter they get, the more they grip, the more they grip, the more your flywheel has chances of developing cracks.

I installed one on a friend's EVO and pretty much killed his diff, which is not easy. We're just pro like that hahahahaha
And TRUST ME...pulling an EVO clutch is the suck.. When we pulled his tranny to replace it, his flywheel looked like someone literally had taken a grinder to it.

I'm sure it works well though. That's the problem actually
Old 01-02-2009, 09:50 PM

yup i helped with 2 evo clutch's already and man i'm i glad that suby tranny are simple!!

oh and FYI it was the prior owner of my car who put in a 6puck not me. i don't agree with them on a AWD car
Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 PM
banned

Yeah, to all the suby owners out there. If an EVO guy has an install day and asks you for help, welll you jsut tell them that Jimi from R and D is the man and send them that way and that he can do it really fast BY HIMSELF!!! PM me if you need his number

AHHAHAHAHAHAAHAH
sorry for OT..I couldn't help myself

Sorry.... to keep this thread on topic:
If you drag race, puck is okay, and I'm sure that some people have success with puck clutches. I just havent and havent seen many people have success, so take that with a grain of salt. I havent seen everything.

Last edited by reid-o; 01-02-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:45 PM

Car Info: car
you spelled just wrong... i thought u were an english prof? haha jk...
Old 01-03-2009, 07:38 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Wrx
Originally Posted by shaggadelic
^^^^^ i hope you didn't base your clutch stage based off your car stage setup if so thats a no no and buh bye gears

6puck = me no gears (along with a faulty clutch slave/clutch cyclinder lol)

i dont have 6 puck yo, i know what im getting. so yay gears. besides i dont do dumps anyway. just JDM TOP SPD RUN YAHOOO
Old 01-03-2009, 07:47 PM

Car Info: 2000 2 door RS/ daily driver vtech
I see you guys cant handle the 6 puck...try to up grade your s*** before getting one if your scared of breaking some thing......they work fine to me but thats just me, different people different opinions, any ways I think thats a killer deal for a clutch
Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by AMLIBERATOR
i dont have 6 puck yo, i know what im getting. so yay gears. besides i dont do dumps anyway. just JDM TOP SPD RUN YAHOOO
hahaha i never said you had a 6puck and i don't dump my clutch also. but puck clutches are known to kill rs/wrx trannys period. think about it this way why would you set up your clutch to be stronger then your trans. the fuse between your motor and drive train should be your clutch not your tranny. a common mistake ppls make is by saying "look i have a stage 4 car so i must need a stage 4 clutch" and by doing so it will make your tranny the fuse in your drivetrain cause you to need a new gear box. you may be lucky now but it won't last long unless you don't drive your car hard
Old 01-03-2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by stirs
I see you guys cant handle the 6 puck...try to up grade your s*** before getting one if your scared of breaking some thing......they work fine to me but thats just me, different people different opinions, any ways I think thats a killer deal for a clutch
ask anyone on rs25.com how strong your rs tranny really is. its only a matter of time. i can name a few guys on there who been threw numerous trannys
Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
i agree with reid and shagg on this one......

i did get to drive a friends s/c mustang with a 4 puck clutch...lets just say...not very street friendly...theres no in between...its either ON or OFF...and with the mustang...throw in some gears with a blower...now add some water to the road and everyone thinks your trying to race them because you keep peeling out...only to keep the engine from bogging...

hey shagg...good to know you got lots of experience with evo trans...i still want a evo 8 or 9....whats with mitsu and that release clip on the clutch or something i keep reading about thats a B!tch to get off or something like that...
Old 01-03-2009, 10:35 PM

Car Info: AWD Peanut "i" IMPRETZA
I'd say just go organic!! Seriously!! And I totally agree with stirs/reido/shaggadelic. In my opinion, if you're WRX is a time attack/auto-x warrior, then going puck is another option but if its a DD and no track time, dont waste your time with the puck as you will run into problems sooner than you think. I seen guys who switch over to puck style because they're in a "stage X level" that they need to upgrade to puck and after 10k-20k miles, their puck _ucked them over and now are doing double labor with double money being spent. But its totally up to you. If anything its a live and learn, trial and error type of deal but if your puck clutch doesnt fail and longevity is there, more power to you. What is JDM TOP SPEED RUN?? RACING??Are you trying to top out your gears. I find it hard to do in Hawaii based on my last visit.

Last edited by dubyuHO4; 01-03-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:47 AM

Car Info: camber toe
Thank you dubyuHO4, houdni, and with especially Shaggy and reid-o. I really don't know too much in this field of transmission. And I need alot of asking to do.

But on top of that, got it soaked down like Patrick the Star Fish

Quick Reply: Under $400! Competition Clutch Releases WRX & STi Clutch Upgrades