Old 03-11-2012, 07:59 PM

Car Info: 04 Subaru WRX STI PSM
Angry Turning Into Nightmare...HELP

Okay So quick run down:

2004 STI- 86,458 miles

3inch TBE

Injen Cold Air Intake

Accessport Ver 1 Stage 2 map

So the other day I go to start the car up and its got a really bad idle and there's a noticeable missfire. I hook the Computer up and read the code P0011 Camshaft position Actuator A - Bank 1 Timing over advanced. So I get her home and park for the night. Next day I go start back up and idle still sucks. Im courious so I hook the computer back up to look at data and read codes. This time I get P0301 and P0303 CYL 1 & 3 Misfire detected. So I start doing some research into what could be causing this. First i Find the TSB about the AVCS screens in the banjo bolts. So being thats i free and quick fix i do that first. i took out the screens which were destroyed!!! So i got the screens out and put it back together hoping for the best and nothing....Still rough Idle !! So next I realize I havent changed/ checked my spark plugs in a few thousand miles I'll check those.....Took them out and CYL 1&3 were deff fouled and needed to be replaced. So I replaced them all with OEM SPEC plugs. Visually inspected all coil packs for damage none found. I looked for method to test them And found you cant other than swapping with different CYL cause the igniter is built around the coil.. :/ So After reinstalled coils and new plugs the Misfire is still there only now the car wants to die out on on idle it got as low as 320 RPM last night and almost shut off after a rev and let sit at idle. So I was looking more into the AVCS issue and remebering how destroyed those screens were and thought maybe I forgot some garbage inside the Banjo bolt area. So on the RF banjo bolt i take it out and theres nothing in there. But when i put the Bolt in this time I freakin cross threaded the Damn BOLT and now it wont tighten all the way!!! FML...... So not only do i still have a Crappy running IDLE but now i have the oil line going to the avcs selonoid all messed up!!!......I quit is there any body on Island Who is very STI smart and can help me out with this???? I dont want to have to go to the dealership and get robbed and if its something real big that can replaced with aftermarket part Id rather have it at tuner shop and UPGRADE!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:03 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
Pull out the passenger side AVCS Solenoid and check for little screen particles. If you dont see anything there, you may need to pull apart your cam gear.

The aluminum part that you stripped is part of the head. It is the camshaft cap and is machined specifically for that particular head. You are in a world of ****.

The correct way to fix it would be to install a new head.

The bad part is that you do not have a lot of excess material around the area that you stripped.

I would suggest removing the cam cap, having additional material welded to the inside of the threads, then tap new threads.

Side note:
When you botched the threads, aluminum particles were introduced into your oil. Do not start the car.

You may have already damaged your rod and crankshaft bearings.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:33 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
Damn bro this is a sucky situation. SPINPLAY IS SMART so dont ignore his advice.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 AM

Car Info: 2011 sti
dont you need a dp to run stage 2?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:23 PM

Car Info: 2004 sti
He has a turbo back exhaust....I had the same problem with my 04 sti too when I pulled the avcs solenoid I had a tiny piece of the screen wedged in the piston of the solenoid after removing the screen car ran perfect again
Old 03-12-2012, 12:31 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
And this is why we should use a torque wrench on everything attached to the block. Much of the time, what's "hand tight" is too tight.

Sucks man, hope you get it all worked out in due time!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
Originally Posted by Krang
And this is why we should use a torque wrench on everything attached to the block. Much of the time, what's "hand tight" is too tight.

Sucks man, hope you get it all worked out in due time!
true but a torque wrench wouldnt have helped cross threading.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:19 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
I actually didn't read the wall of text just saw that he stripped a block thread =(
Old 03-18-2012, 05:05 PM

Car Info: 04 Subaru WRX STI PSM
Okay I've found the problem and corrected the issue. The Left side AVCS sensor was cracked. At the actual plug there was a crack on the seloniod that was allowing crap to get inside.Sensor has been switched and car is running fine!!!

The cam cap was able to be sent to machine shop and fixed....Saved me ton of money!!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Yay!