turbo install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:44 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Haha, the OP will have a ton of responses to read through when he comes back to this thread.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:48 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
Originally Posted by dysfunctnl doll
also, how many people can (and are willing) to do motor swaps/builds here?
have done 5, 2 of them were for my own personal cars the rest were for members didnt even charge more then dinner the days i worked
Old 06-16-2010, 06:51 PM

Car Info: STI
I still say we should know the turbo and if he has a map and injectors.

Nothing like helping install a green (even properly) and then having him post....
"so...my car is smoking"
Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Originally Posted by reido
i still say we should know the turbo and if he has a map and injectors.

Nothing like helping install a green (even properly) and then having him post....
"so...my car is smoking"
the dude has lots of readin to do on this thread and lot of answers and options from good poeples two cents, hopefully he give us a better idea of what set up he is runnin and his supporting mods for it, best of luck though
Old 06-16-2010, 08:14 PM

Car Info: 2005 Saabaru 9-2x Aero
Well that does suck indeed. There are still some very knowledgeable people though. Sometimes you just have to filter through the bull****ters. What happened to your car? Hopefully nothing too expensive. I agree though you shouldn't volunteer to help someone unless you are 100% capable and competent in doing the work.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:21 PM

Car Info: 1989 Honda Civic, 11ʻ R1 & 09ʻ GSXR600
^^^This is true.

If i install something on my car I make sure I have a Base/Safe Map, and everything else needed i.e. Gaskets
Old 06-16-2010, 11:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by reido
More importantly, I don't think anyone should help you install this until you have a map for it along with new injectors.
Reids absolutley right....just recently we had a guy do a turbo install on here and didnt even have a start up map.

Originally Posted by Jrocko
Like me, I am thinking of Doing a Head Build. I am going to take it to a shop because I don't know how to use a dremel kit that good but you best believe I am a couple friends will drop my Engine take off my heads and put the Built Heads on my Block...LOL
Lo...personally I would not port and polish anything. there are way to many companies out there that have done this a million times that know what is to little and to much flow. yes I would pull the motor a part but I would not do the porting.

Originally Posted by ds baruuuuu
have done 5, 2 of them were for my own personal cars the rest were for members didnt even charge more then dinner the days i worked
hey you got the occasional belly rub every now and then.
not to mention the fond memories of sitting on the side of the freeway waiting for a tow truck while cars screamed inches by us. oh and remember the crack head that was trying to sell us the AC recharge kit? or how about when we were doing electrical wiring in the rain and you were so soaked that your car smelled like mildewed feet for weeks

^^^see OP lots of memories can be had by making friends and hosting install parties!

Last edited by 4080wrx; 06-16-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:10 AM

Car Info: 2015 CWP STI
Originally Posted by 4080wrx
^^^see OP lots of memories can be had by making friends and hosting install parties!
I can add to that. My first one, we had trouble with a clutch fork during a clutch change. I learned alot through that one. Jon (iNfEk) can say more about it. But if a factory service manual had been there, it would've been a different story. lol

Reid has a good point on supporting mods, never crossed my mind.......
Old 06-17-2010, 12:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
OH WOW!! WE GOT DRAMA happenin in HIIC.... FINALLY some entertainment!!

On another note, pending on how mechanically inclined you are. You can do anything and Im speaking from experience. TRUST ME!! Just gotta break things apart and learn its internal workings. I even know a foolio on here that converted his automatic wrx into a full jdm STi swap with 6spd all by himself almost. lol
Old 06-17-2010, 12:20 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
I suck at subarus
Old 06-17-2010, 12:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
I change oil filters using a needle noise pliers and vaccum my car rugs using a straw
Old 06-17-2010, 12:59 AM

Car Info: STI
my manifesto

Since the goal of this thread seems to be scare off the OP, and we're all doing a great job btw, so give yourself a hand, I'll give in my penny (I'm part Chinese so 2 cents is too much).

I remember a time when I used to order parts from this no-name company that never got my parts to me on time, and their only product (that they hand made) was this fabricated intake manifold that they touted was the best.
I think it was a small outfit at the time. They had no tuners, even tough I was learning to burn Eprom chips at the time, and in fact, no one knew who the hell they were.
Now AMS is a rather large company and they've moved from DSMs to all sorts of cars. But they started out with a small outfit with a bunch of untrained people.

When I was in high school, my next door neighbor had the fastest Honda on the island, clocking tens. We used to sit and smoke weed in Autos. He was a total retard, and there;s nothing that he knows that I don't or nothing that he can do that I can't (maybe I can't tig as good as he can). But recently he's worked for some pretty big companies on the mainland, but to me he's the same retard.

I even remember the open sources forums long ago (it wasnt even called romraider), and seeing one of the tuners who's been brought down posting in threads and asking questions that he didn't know the answers to. I used to respond to these threads and offer advice, but now he's considered, at least in Hawaii, a reputable tuner, and some consider him an expert. (I wasn't on iclub at the time). When the hell did that happen?

The bottom line is that this culture is loosely founded on what I would call an open source mentality--the idea that someone interested in knowing some "thing" can become "something" great. That's totally changed, and now these same "retards" who I used to hang out with are considered great tuners and techs, and people look up to them like gods. But that whole landscape has changed. People want to know but don't want to learn how to know. Or I find that core ideology or belief structure missing, and I really feel alone in this culture.

I went and got a degree, actually several of them. I didn't follow their route, but I had no idea that the consumer mentality would shift so much. I wish I did because I love cars, I love science, and I have a passion for it. But I honestly feel alone now.

95% of the AMS and Sonics started somewhere. They've just professionlized themselves, and that's great. But at heart, the industry or culture used to be filled with people wanting know stuff, and they uusally have very little or no professional training at all, which doesn't mean they don't do great work. We've gotten this far because at the core of the industry was the driving force to innovate, learn and give back. That's dead as in dead. Please tell me I'm wrong.
Now it's "how much have you spent" and how much can you claim based on someone's else's knowledge. Even the do it yourselfers have this mentality sometimes.

I really relate to the first generation, but I don't understand the second. And I can say that in some part that, if you don't want to learn anything and you just want to pay, you're really the force driving Apple and Microsoft to dominate the industry. You really are. We only have several tuning options because of this mentality. No one can envision what the landscape would be like if we grew another crop of people wanting to know.

To be honest, having someone tune your open source tune is like downloading Open Office and having someone write you a paper. You can brag about your paper and the fact that you spent less to produce it, but I'll still think less of you in the end. There's room for a consumer based import culture. I just want it to be relegated to the cars I DONT drive. I want the car culture and the people I know to be inquisitive, intelligent and responsible. I hope that by "teaching" someone to install a turbo, I can give that back.
I also hope that by helping to tune some cars to get people interested in tuning themselves, I change that landscape.

And if you think this is impossible--- I think it is too and hence why I asked my account be banned earlier---help me change it.

Last edited by reido; 06-17-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:01 AM

Car Info: 07 Sti
You know, I made a thread like this once. Dave, DSBaruuu was kind enough to offer and help but scheduling never seemed to work out. In the end, I had a free saturday and decided to just do it.

Turbo installs are cake, just takes patience. Injectors take patience, and a fuel pump takes patience. In the end, if you go slow and methodically, remember exactly where you removed something and make sure to put it back when you are done, you can do it. That, along with some help from the community (cough, Dave rocks! cough ) and you will be done in no time.

Like Riedo said, its about community. I'm sorry, but Sonic doesn't know that the dp bolts onto the hotside of a turbo better than I do. Or that the oil return line goes in the same hole I pulled it out of. In the end, if you break our cars down into the separate systems, they are very simple. You might not know what either of those things are, and that's fine. Many people here do, ask them, and they will help you.

I vote for an install day because those are the shiz, when we doing it?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:12 AM

Car Info: 2015 CWP STI
How to change turbo:

Disconnect negative battery terminal
Jack up car
Remove TMIC and hoses
Disconnect water hoses and plug to prevent spillage
Disconnect oil feed line on center section of turbo
Unbolt turbo heat shield
Unbolt uppipe brackets
Unbolt uppipe to turbo nuts
Unbolt downpipe to turbo nuts and bolts
Unbolt downpipe to tranny bracket
Undo turbo inlet clamp
Undo vacuum lines from compressor and wastegate actuator
Lift turbo

Installation is reverse of removal
Replace gaskets
Replace oil feed crush washers
Prime oil for turbo
Replenish lost coolant and burp system

Good night bradders and sisters.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:40 AM

Car Info: 2005 Saabaru 9-2x Aero
Note: Joe is an aircraft powerplant mechanic.

For Joe, changing a turbo on a Subaru is as easy as taking a **** after drinking a six pack.

Quick Reply: turbo install?