turbo install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by dysfunctnl doll
im not doubting the skills of people in HIIC. i didnt pay a shop to install all the parts on my car...my car was completely stock when i got it. my stage 2 and current setup were both built by friends....and since i went rotated, i didnt have a big mainland tuner tune my car...it was tuned by someone on here, open source and honestly probably runs better than alot of your mainland tuned cars. someone told me id blow in a year if i didnt build my block...guess what? its been a year and a half (over 14k miles) and my car runs solid...
when i had exhaust leaks with my current setup...i went to a highly recommended shop on here...i cant really say what happened or if it happened there, but something really bad was discovered at that shop...and guess who ended up paying for it?
now, i cant help it if i am friends with someone who owns a shop...but his shop has done the best work on my car-no complaints.

edit...also about the sick rides are built not bought....id like to see a female build a subaru...its not an easy car to work on...also, id like to see a female build a setup like mine-has that ever been done? possibly....but not by any local females. i dont even know any females that have anything more than a stage 2 at most, lol.
i guess my first question is how hard do you run your car and how often? i know you dont track your car cause of lack of. if you are doing nothing more than a DD and a few spirited runs here and there I have no doubt your block will hold up, not to mention your tuner probably tuned you conservatively (not that there is anything wrong with that).

its always a plus to have friends that own a shop because atleast you know they won't intentionally screw you and would dedicate more time to your car. with that being said I know you are a big sonics fan and given my only experience with them I was not impressed with their customer service. i went there a few years ago and asked about some parts. the feeling I got was they were to busy or did not really care to help me. either way I never went back.

as for the female working on a car statement please do not sell yourself short. I really hate to hear females gripe about how they can't do something that there male counterpart can. sorry I am in the Army and I get this all the time....of course we are all limited to what we can do physically but that is why we ask for help when needed...

sorry for the rant and please understand I am not personally attacking you
but merely stating my opinion
Old 06-16-2010, 03:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
how many people can (and are willing) to do motor swaps/builds here?
ooo...oooo...mee...mee...I'm willing to do a motor swap/build
Old 06-16-2010, 03:59 PM

Car Info: grandmas car
Originally Posted by 4080wrx
i guess my first question is how hard do you run your car and how often? i know you dont track your car cause of lack of. if you are doing nothing more than a DD and a few spirited runs here and there I have no doubt your block will hold up, not to mention your tuner probably tuned you conservatively (not that there is anything wrong with that).

its always a plus to have friends that own a shop because atleast you know they won't intentionally screw you and would dedicate more time to your car. with that being said I know you are a big sonics fan and given my only experience with them I was not impressed with their customer service. i went there a few years ago and asked about some parts. the feeling I got was they were to busy or did not really care to help me. either way I never went back.

as for the female working on a car statement please do not sell yourself short. I really hate to hear females gripe about how they can't do something that there male counterpart can. sorry I am in the Army and I get this all the time....of course we are all limited to what we can do physically but that is why we ask for help when needed...

sorry for the rant and please understand I am not personally attacking you
but merely stating my opinion
youre right...its just been daily driven with the occational spirited runs. and yes, he did tune it conservatively...ive never boosted more than 19psi with my current setup.
who did you talk to at sonic? best person to talk to is seth. maybe you came at a bad time....i dont think anyone has any complaints with the work that is done at the shop-which i think is the reason why people would go there to begin with.
true, i guess i shouldnt play the female card....i have been trying more lately than i did in the past. i wrapped half of my sti header and did my spare cusco one myself also, bolted on my strut bar-lol....thats more than ive done in the past so i need to be proud of that, lol....idk if you know what i look like, but when have you seen 12 year old girls work on cars? lol...my body frame is that of a 12 year old....ill stop making excuses but im super ****ing weak lol....

Last edited by dysfunctnl doll; 06-16-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:44 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
We could sit here and argue all they long bout DYI or taking it to a shop. In my own personal opinion there is big different between having a professional shop doing it than DIY. I had experience both and I have to say big projects I will take it to a professional shop regardless of my knowledge on mechs, small projects are fairly easy, bout 3 years ago I did and install of a GT30 on my old O4 STI. Gruppe s unequal headers, helix 860cc injectors, walbro 255 in tank fuel pump, perrin GT30 turbo kit(up pipe, down pipe, turbo and intake, tial wastegate), perrin FMIC, ebay oil catch can tial BOV, HKS turbo timer, Greddy EBC and an UTEC piggyback, It was a project I took pride on as it was entirely built by me but at the end I ended havin it professionally tunned ( about 350WHP) by someone else as I don’t have the knowledge to do so. Not bad for a one man built but I don’t consider that a major built. If is a big project (sumthing tha requires machining and internal parts) I would take to a professional SHOP who can give u a warranty on the job rather than risking a job with no warranty and just the help of few good people. I have yet to see any home built STIs with BIG power in Hawaii.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:36 PM

Car Info: 1989 Honda Civic, 11ʻ R1 & 09ʻ GSXR600
Your going way to far with this...the OP asked to install a Turbo. Thats maybe a turbo and injectors. Even you, Me, Jess probably 50% of the HIIC members can install. Of course you need to take your car to a shop to do Big projects. Like me, I am thinking of Doing a Head Build. I am going to take it to a shop because I don't know how to use a dremel kit that good but you best believe I am a couple friends will drop my Engine take off my heads and put the Built Heads on my Block...LOL

We are talking about just the little things.

Your ex-setup was a Build not a Major build to your standards, but it's a build.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:39 PM

Car Info: 1989 Honda Civic, 11ʻ R1 & 09ʻ GSXR600
yeah, thats the problem with getting help from others...if you didnt do the work yourself, youre not really gonna know what happened when it got fuct up...the shop that possibly fuct up my car will also remain nameless, but i can bet that its the same one youre referring to....thats why i think people should go to a reliable shop if they dont know what they are doing. one with the proper tools and knowledge. i dont like ghetto installs, i like it to be done properly the first time. some installs are too hard for the normal wrencher-like clutch and timing belt for example. also, how many people can (and are willing) to do motor swaps/builds here? i do agree that most installs can be done by your average garage wrencher....especially because most people just do bolt ons....
You hit it right on the head with one.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jrocko
Your going way to far with this...the OP asked to install a Turbo. Thats maybe a turbo and injectors. Even you, Me, Jess probably 50% of the HIIC members can install. Of course you need to take your car to a shop to do Big projects. Like me, I am thinking of Doing a Head Build. I am going to take it to a shop because I don't know how to use a dremel kit that good but you best believe I am a couple friends will drop my Engine take off my heads and put the Built Heads on my Block...LOL

We are talking about just the little things.

Your ex-setup was a Build not a Major build to your standards, but it's a build.
you know that tragedy can happen even from doing small installs like that? ive had too many bad experiences with people who think they know what they are doing but do not....its always the cocky guys who think they know whats going on, when they do not....they never say sorry either, just blame others and/or say your parts were badly produced in china/taiwan. i say if youre willing to pay for other peoples mistakes if/when they happen, go for it and do your install party....if you want the job done right the first time, i suggest taking it to a shop.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ricoricanlc
I have yet to see any home built STIs with BIG power in Hawaii.
i agree. and just in general...sorry, but no one here really makes any big power IMO. when people hit 400 its like a big huge deal, lol. you could probably count the number people on 1 hand that have hit 400 in their sti, lol.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:57 PM

Car Info: 2005 Saabaru 9-2x Aero
I'm going to chime in on the DIY side of the argument. I do all of my own work. There is nothing on our cars that is out of reach of a competent mechanic. Sure I don't recommend you split your transmission case in your living room, but there is a manual telling us how to accomplish anything on our car. If you know your way around a shop and can properly utilize tools, the more you do the better you will get. Plus in this case, its a turbo install...... Really. Even a rotated setup is within the reach of a garage mechanic.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by RallyGC
I'm going to chime in on the DIY side of the argument. I do all of my own work. There is nothing on our cars that is out of reach of a competent mechanic. Sure I don't recommend you split your transmission case in your living room, but there is a manual telling us how to accomplish anything on our car. If you know your way around a shop and can properly utilize tools, the more you do the better you will get. Plus in this case, its a turbo install...... Really. Even a rotated setup is within the reach of a garage mechanic.
thats fine if you know how to do the work, by all means install your parts....but some of these people do not have the knowledge or skill. my problem is the cocky guys who talk this and that...big power this and that..."i can make 500 and spend less than so and so".....but when they go to dyno, their car doesnt even break 300, lol. all talk-no proven power. some of these new commers might be impressed and misled by all that talk.

its been a long 2 1/2 years and i learned alot from my mistakes. right now, i think i have the best of both worlds. i have no complaints about anything. installs are good. tuning is great. ive had lots of ups and definately my share of downs....live and learn.

Last edited by dysfunctnl doll; 06-16-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:10 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
quote:

^^^ Agreed, i did it fun and easy

Last edited by ricoricanlc; 06-16-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
thats fine if you know how to do the work, by all means install your parts....but some of these people do not have the knowledge or skill. my problem is the cocky guys who talk this and that...big power this and that..."i can make 500 and spend less than so and so".....but when they go to dyno, their car doesnt even break 300, lol. some of these new commers might be impressed and misled by all that talk.
wow, sounds like you really had a bad experience with someone touching your car? but like lorenzo said, this is going way too far as the OP is just asking for some simple bolt ons and i know and can vouch for some members here who will help you over pizza and beer. wrenching with these guys was my way of learning a lot of things about my car. besides, thats what makes it more fun is knowing that in one way or another, you have a story to tell about the parts that you have installed in your car. the camaraderie and the knowledge that you acquire by going to or hosting install days are priceless.

but yes, you can take it to the shop too if peace of mind is what you are looking for, and you do not have time to spare.

as far as power goes, who needs 400+ hp cars in honolulu? if, and i say IF they build the track, then i will change my stance on this. otherwise, it's just bragging rights i guess.

my .02.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:36 PM

Car Info: STI
More importantly, I don't think anyone should help you install this until you have a map for it along with new injectors. What kind of turbo is this? Are these already installed? Do you plan to install those parts at the same time?

Because if you don't, then everyone's going to just help you kill your car, which is not what anyone wants. I can help you install this, but I'd need to know that you have all the other parts to go with it.
I'm sure any good shop would say the same.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:38 PM

Car Info: 2015 CWP STI
If its bolt on, anyone who is mechanically inclined can do it, even for a rotated turbo setup. If you've got the right tools, it can happen. But if its something that requires special measurements and machining as ricoricanlc mentioned, that's where you pay the bones for a shop.

Even an engine swap is within a mechanically and electrically inclined individuals neighborhood. I have never done it before, but since I took my motor apart and rewired my fried ecu and harnesses, I believe I can do it on my own. I may not do it as fast as Dave, ****, and Jess, but I get the idea.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by kolohe_04sti
wow, sounds like you really had a bad experience with someone touching your car? but like lorenzo said, this is going way too far as the OP is just asking for some simple bolt ons and i know and can vouch for some members here who will help you over pizza and beer. wrenching with these guys was my way of learning a lot of things about my car. besides, thats what makes it more fun is knowing that in one way or another, you have a story to tell about the parts that you have installed in your car. the camaraderie and the knowledge that you acquire by going to or hosting install days are priceless.

but yes, you can take it to the shop too if peace of mind is what you are looking for, and you do not have time to spare.

as far as power goes, who needs 400+ hp cars in honolulu? if, and i say IF they build the track, then i will change my stance on this. otherwise, it's just bragging rights i guess.

my .02.
actually you got it right on the money...im just a little pissed at an incident that happened a few weeks ago...it was super simple...no tools required or anything but **** happened...no sorry...just cockiness....and i did buy pizza for them to fack my car up, lol. and it was someone on here who helps people...LOL.

Last edited by dysfunctnl doll; 06-16-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply: turbo install?