Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:36 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx
I understand what a slipping clutch is and everything but I also have read that a leaking seal can cause trans fluid to leak into the clutch causing it to slip as well. As far as the syncro issue. If I have to pull the tranny to get it fixed I think IM just gonna go with the ra gear set. And a new oem exedy clutch. Unless imminstructed otherwise.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
leaking seal- transmission has to come out
syncro - transmission has to come out
bad clutch - transmission has to come out
transmission inspection - transmission has to come out

so.... here is what you do. You save up your pennies, and when you are ready to get this repaired, you take it to a shop. Many shops sub out their transmission work to gear works. Nothing wrong with that, I just prefer for things to be in house. You now have an idea of how much it will cost to fix all of these scenarios.

by the way... the transmission has to come out.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:45 PM

I love how people talk to me like I'm an idiot. I put in the beginning I didn't know a lot about transmissions. But thanks for all the helpful advice guys I have a lil more insight now
Old 03-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Da Brit.

Originally Posted by The glove box
I love how people talk to me like I'm an idiot. I put in the beginning I didn't know a lot about transmissions. But thanks for all the helpful advice guys I have a lil more insight now
couldnt possibly have anything to do with you could it? You asked, we helped. You asked more, we helped more. At some point all answers are leading in the same direction.. take it to a shop. it will cost you money. the transmission will have to come out. you cannot fix this yourself with your limited knowledge. Simple as that. All of this information could have been discovered if you would have done your homework before you asked and had all of us do your homework for you.

Internets.... serious business..
Old 03-27-2012, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the help. Spry for asking so many times just trying to understand it all completely
Old 03-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Da Brit.

Thanks for the help. Spry for asking so many times just trying to understand it all completely
thats fair. good luck. build your transmission with the end goal in mind. for example, if you are going to end up with 300+ hp i would recommend getting the 09 gear set and an act stage 1 or 2 clutch put in at the very least, or do a 6 speed swap. If this is your daily driver and you are not going to do much more than a stage 2 tune 250-300whp max then you should be fine on your 5sp with oem replacement clutch. Its better to save up a bit more now to get it done correctly the first time rather than pay the money just to shred the gears later.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Da Brit.

by the way... i-club.. for the record. This guy just took criticism on a forum and didnt get butthurt. That just happened. Shake n bake.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM

Car Info: grandmas car
Originally Posted by johndabrit
by the way... i-club.. for the record. This guy just took criticism on a forum and didnt get butthurt. That just happened. Shake n bake.
+1, love all your responses johndabrit!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:02 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
DIY. I knew nothing about a tranny until I pulled it myself. NASIOC has some walkthroughs and stuff. Just jack your car up in your driveway. Drop exhaust from the turbo back, drop drive shaft, disconnect shift linkage and anything plugged into the tranny, (enginebay) remove TMIC, remove pitch stop, remove starter and any tranny bolts up top here, remove slave cylinder thingy that pushes/pulls your clutch fork when your press the clutch pedal, back under car, remove all tranny bolts, remove half shaft axles(whole nother ballgame), support tranny, remove tranny brace, wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, SECRET TIP is jack the front of the engine up enough to tilt the tranny side downwards and should be able to get a small gap somewhere where you can insert a pry bar to break the rest loose. *If you didnt get the half shafts out you can still change clutch from engine bay with the tranny seperated just enough. Change out the clutch.

100% Sure i forgot something but just go for it! Might take 2 days in your driveway but if you can manage to get to a auto skills shop(military) or someone with air tools it can help speed things up.

*DONT OVERTORQUE ANYTHING ESPECIALLY THE TRANNY BOLTS!! Also dont cross thread bolts especially the two big ones for the tranny brace....if your do I have a tap to fix that particular one *oops*
Old 03-28-2012, 04:10 AM

Car Info: 07STI
Ben, I highly recommend contacting Jimi aka juniorsti. I will get the info to Hugo to pass to u.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 AM

I already talked to him lol thanks tho
Old 03-28-2012, 12:34 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I was going to say Johndabrit was right on the money from the start. His first two posts would have been real close to what I would have said so I didnt post till now. Just wanted to support his statements.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 PM

Car Info: 07STI
I already talked to him lol thanks tho
He does great work and a cool guy for being a boto sucker