Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:43 AM

Car Info: 03 wrx
Transmission problems

I don't know a terrible lot about transmission. But on my 03 wrx I believe it's the axles there are two green things coming out of the gear box with rubber bushing on them. I have tranny fluid built up on the right one...my clutch is acting funny. It's slipping every now and then and grinds from 3rd to 4th when driving it hard. Also the clutch doesn't engage till the pedal is alsmost all the way depressed. Around town it drives fine and most of the time when I get on it. Occasionally it "slips" can anyone help? Again idk a lot about granny's so please don't bash me. Thanks
Old 03-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
i dont know much about grannys either :-P

if your clutch is slipping its time for a new clutch.. simple. You probably have a cv boot which is shot explaining the crud on the axle. Griding from 3rd to 4th could be clutch, but is most likely bad syncro.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 AM

Lol didn't see that typo. So recommendations on what should be done? What about the syncro. What does that take? And it's the axle seal that's broken I believe
Old 03-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Da Brit.

You really should be choosing a shop at this point to take it to as it sounds like you wont be doing any of this work yourself. Any advice I give you is ignorant in comparison to a real shop.

those "green things" are about 100 a pop plus labor to install. I would recommend you replace both at the same time unless its a high power racing application and you pop them periodically regardless. As far as the transmission issues thats a different story. You can do a clutch installed for about 1500 bucks without going inside the gears and hope that your grinding was caused by clutch letting go. Otherwise you can pay about 3 grand to get your transmission rebuilt completely plus the price of a new clutch kit which is about 800.

In other words, you know your clutch is crap, and it has to be removed to work on the gears. Plan to get the transmission rebuilt for 2k-3500 depending on what you want done to it and throw in a new clutch for just the price of parts as it will be included in the labor in transmission reassembly. Plan on 2 hours plus parts to get the axles replaced.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the help. My only response is...fml
Old 03-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Da Brit.

if you want to take a chance you can look for a wrx transmission with no grinds, buy an exedy oem replacement clutch kit, and bribe a few i-clubbers to help you swap it out. Good luck on your journey.. it begins now
Old 03-26-2012, 01:59 PM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
OP,
talk to Chad (spinplay01) about it, he might be able to give you some insight on it if he's not too busy. Maybe even a price to do it. I know he completed a tranny rebuild(syncro's) a few months ago /w no problems.

best of luck.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
you can "hide" the problem for a little bit... if you use NS type gear oil in the trans to get those synchros working better. i'd replace the axles, change the seals, change the clutch, and refill with good fluid first. trans rebuild is expensive, and i'd look for a used one if needed.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
Clutch install is easy. I would piggy back the CV boot aswell. I personally bought the rubber boot and installed myself. Messy and a little hard to do but better than $100+. Got the clutch KIT for like $150 or something off ebay Chat (spinplay) installed for me but I managed to learn how to do it on a 2000 GC and 2007 WRX (same damn thing). Its just time consuming and can be done in a driveway on jackstands.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:32 PM

Car Info: S14
Or get a nice set of ppg's if ur syncrhos are bad yummm but that's a lil unrealistic, for me anyways

Last edited by inspire420; 03-26-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 PM

so i replaced the tranny fluid today i had overfilled it before, i took it out for a spin and around 3-4k rpms i pressed on the throttle and it acted the same way as if i didn't have the clutch fully depressed as i sped up faster i increased the throttle and it would do the same thing... i tried the 4th gear test (put the car in fourth gear try to take off and it died) so I'm assuming it doesn't mean the clutch is bad...any ideas?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 AM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
check the easy stuff - slave fully extending? clutch pedal not flexing?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:06 AM

Car Info: car
possible syncros and slipping clutch as mentioned.... i can perform both repairs but pm me for more info if you are interested!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:42 PM

Car Info: grandmas car
Originally Posted by The glove box
Lol didn't see that typo. So recommendations on what should be done? What about the syncro. What does that take? And it's the axle seal that's broken I believe
2nd strike for you buddy......guess you didnt read what i wrote to you about my tranny issues. ive told you what syncros going bad feel like......i will repeat for the world....i have 2 trans with syncos going bad. i told you, when i initally bought my wrx, it had a bad 1st gear syncro that would grind into 1st gear. bought a used trans (which i highly DO NOT recommend unless you know/can trust the person) off someone on here.......changed clutch to exedy stage 1 the same time we installed the brand used trans......also changed passenger side axel due to busted cv boot (took the route to change the whole damn thing vs just changing the boot)....unfortunately for me, person lied, trans i bought had a slightly going bad 1st gear syncro. trans was better than the one that was initally in the car, but still needs replacement. i also changed the clutch slave and master a few months after the clutch/tranny installs. i mentioned planning on fixing it at some point, and my car not having to be downed long being the that the tranny is already pulled and would just need to be cracked apart and fixed and than installed.....so it puzzles me as to why you seem so lost on all of this?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:45 PM

Car Info: grandmas car
and as others have mentioned....sure sounds like your sycros in your trans are going bad. and if your clutch is slipping....sounds like you need a new one of those too.

Quick Reply: Transmission problems