Tokyo Auto Salon, other things to do in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:55 PM

Tokyo Auto Salon, other things to do in Japan

So is anybody going to Tokyo Auto Salon this weekend?

I am here in Tokyo for a week and it just so happens that the auto salon is this coming friday, saturday, sunday. So I will no doubt be there. Is anyone else going?

So what are the hot things to do in Tokyo? recommendations please
Old 01-06-2008, 06:22 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
lucky bastige !!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Where exactly in Tokyo are you at? I just got back from Japan about a week ago. While I was up there, I visited UpGarage in Kawasaki and Subaru of Tachikawa ( aka Car-Do). There's also a Super Autobacs, I think near Tokyo Bay. It's pretty cold right now huh? Have fun and damn you for being able to go to TAS.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:41 PM

Car Info: 2013 WRB GVF STi
Go to Cortes dealer in Ginza.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bran808
Where exactly in Tokyo are you at? I just got back from Japan about a week ago. While I was up there, I visited UpGarage in Kawasaki and Subaru of Tachikawa ( aka Car-Do). There's also a Super Autobacs, I think near Tokyo Bay. It's pretty cold right now huh? Have fun and damn you for being able to go to TAS.
I'm in the dead center of Tokyo, Shibuya. and yes it's pretty darn cold.
I should look online to see where kawasaki, and Tachikawa is. Were UpGarage and Car-Do close to the train stations?

I have no Japanese abilities, so Subway and JR is okay......but once on the streets, it gets difficult.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by islandx
I'm in the dead center of Tokyo, Shibuya. and yes it's pretty darn cold.
I should look online to see where kawasaki, and Tachikawa is. Were UpGarage and Car-Do close to the train stations?

I have no Japanese abilities, so Subway and JR is okay......but once on the streets, it gets difficult.
I was staying in Shinagawa which is like 5 stops away from Shibuya on the Yamanote line. You are in luck, I've still got the email from my brother's friend and it has directions on how to get to UpGarage. Here it is:
"From Shinagawa, buy a ticket for 690 yen and catch JR Tokaido line (Yokohama/Atami bound) for 8 minutes to Kawasaki station. At Kawasaki station, transfer (don't leave the faregates area) to JR Nanbu line (regular -- not express), running toward Tachikawa. After 47 minutes, get off at Yaho ("yah-ho" has in ho - ho - ho) station. Catch a cab to: kokuritsu-shi, yaho 648. Or, in Japanese: 国立市谷保648.

Here are the directions in Japanese, in case you need to show them to someone for help:
品川駅から東海道線(横浜・熱海方面)に乗って。川崎に下りて、南武線(普通、立川方面)に乗り換え。あと 47分谷保駅に到着します。谷保駅からタクシーで国立市谷保648に行ってください。歩けるけど外国人とし ては分かりづらいかもしれない."

ALso if I remember correctly, Tachikawa is like the last stop or like 2 stops after Yaho. In Tachikawa, I asked directions from the Police, and they looked up the address and everything for me. They wrote it down and I gave it to the cab driver. EASY!!! Both places are like 10 minutes away from the train station. Good LUck and have fun!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 PM

Car Info: 05 wrb wrx wagon
if you wanna hit a super autobacs, the closest one is in shinonome, super easy to get there on the train. have fun man, i wish i was there
Old 01-08-2008, 06:19 PM

Car Info: My 2009 FIT for sale!!!!!!!!!!
i'll be there...... my hotel is in chiba but i forgot what it is called....... i got some japanese skills, i can help you out........ but navigating thru tokyo, might be a different story. we are also going to tokyo disney if you like go.........i'll pm you my cell #
-gene

Last edited by ej20boost; 01-08-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:23 PM

I was staying in Shinagawa which is like 5 stops away from Shibuya on the Yamanote line. You are in luck, I've still got the email from my brother's friend and it has directions on how to get to UpGarage. Here it is:
"From Shinagawa, buy a ticket for 690 yen and catch JR Tokaido line (Yokohama/Atami bound) for 8 minutes to Kawasaki station. At Kawasaki station, transfer (don't leave the faregates area) to JR Nanbu line (regular -- not express), running toward Tachikawa. After 47 minutes, get off at Yaho ("yah-ho" has in ho - ho - ho) station. Catch a cab to: kokuritsu-shi, yaho 648. Or, in Japanese: 国立市谷保648.

Here are the directions in Japanese, in case you need to show them to someone for help:
品川駅から東海道線(横浜・熱海方面)に乗って。川崎に下りて、南武線(普通、立川方面)に乗り換え。あと 47分谷保駅に到着します。谷保駅からタクシーで国立市谷保648に行ってください。歩けるけど外国人とし ては分かりづらいかもしれない."

ALso if I remember correctly, Tachikawa is like the last stop or like 2 stops after Yaho. In Tachikawa, I asked directions from the Police, and they looked up the address and everything for me. They wrote it down and I gave it to the cab driver. EASY!!! Both places are like 10 minutes away from the train station. Good LUck and have fun!!!
Thanks!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by ej20boost
i'll be there...... my hotel is in chiba but i forgot what it is called....... i got some japanese skills, i can help you out........ but navigating thru tokyo, might be a different story. we are also going to tokyo disney if you like go.........i'll pm you my cell #
-gene
We checked out Disney Sea while we were up there. Pretty awesome! It's crazy, because my mom misplaced her bag/wallet while at one of the eating places there. She went back and one of the ladies went to the lost and found and retrieved her purse. Somebody turned it in with all $800 in yen, credit cards, passports, and all!!! Honest Japanese FTW! You think that would happen in Anaheim???
Old 01-08-2008, 11:32 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
Bran and Steve, I am soooo jealous of you guys. My wife doesn't want to go because she knows that me and my boys will spend alot of money there. My sons have been heavily influenced by their dad...Japanese cars, Ultraman, Godzilla, Gamera, anime, giant robots, you name it...very dangerous yen-wise.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by shiroikage
Bran and Steve, I am soooo jealous of you guys. My wife doesn't want to go because she knows that me and my boys will spend alot of money there. My sons have been heavily influenced by their dad...Japanese cars, Ultraman, Godzilla, Gamera, anime, giant robots, you name it...very dangerous yen-wise.
Hahaha. It's your civic duty to keep working on her and wear her down! I thought I would get pretty nuts and buy a ton of stuff, but I was able to hold back. It was more of a "experience" for all of us. The scenery is just absolutely beautiful, there's tons of historical places to visit, not to mention the food is oishii!!! Jayden and I did have a lot of fun checking out the arcades, toy stores and such. Good family trip material.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:36 AM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Shibuya is young people's town. Plenty of young intoxicated Japanese girls/young women. Roppongi is where all the Embassy girls are and they're not looking for Japanese men. Akihabara is Electric town where you can see the latest state of the art audio and video equipment the world has to offer (you can't afford it, unless you're really wealthy). . You can check out Tokyo Tower and Chinatown. There's a silk museum between the two that is interesting as well. Tachikawa is a waste of your time imho, you'd be better off in Shinjiku.

Here are the basics you need to know. Kawaii desu (you're cute). Kiraii desu (you're beautifull). Denwa bango wa nan deska (what's your phone number)? Nomitai deska (Do you want to drink (not necessarily alcohol))? Onaku ga sukimashtika (Are you hungry)? Biru o onigaishimasu (Beer please do for me). Watashi no nihongo joozu ja nai (My Japanese is not skillfull). Now get out there and take advantage!

San
Old 01-10-2008, 03:09 PM

Car Info: My 2009 FIT for sale!!!!!!!!!!
you guys were very lucky! your right, cali they would take the money/stuff and sell the rest. but have you noticed that carring like 800 dollars is like nothing...... i hardly see anyone using a check card!

We checked out Disney Sea while we were up there. Pretty awesome! It's crazy, because my mom misplaced her bag/wallet while at one of the eating places there. She went back and one of the ladies went to the lost and found and retrieved her purse. Somebody turned it in with all $800 in yen, credit cards, passports, and all!!! Honest Japanese FTW! You think that would happen in Anaheim???
Old 01-10-2008, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by ej20boost
you guys were very lucky! your right, cali they would take the money/stuff and sell the rest. but have you noticed that carring like 800 dollars is like nothing...... i hardly see anyone using a check card!
Yup, very true.

Quick Reply: Tokyo Auto Salon, other things to do in Japan