Today's Advertiser article and info about the new world class racing facility.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 1993 RX-7/2002 Subaru WRX
Today's Advertiser article and info about the new world class racing facility.

A definite good read. I'd like to add that I attended the FIN Committee, yesterday (I've attended almost every hearing since the beginning of 2005). Alot of questions were answered, at least the ones that weren't confidential information due to clauses in contracts or to protect investors. I will say that one of the investors is in the automotive industry...and it appears to be a real biggie.

As a little background info, James Campbell Estates' trust must be dissolved by Jan 20, 2007. This means that all of the existing property must be sold or liquidated. Nothing could have stopped the closure of the racetrack. Even if an effort to extend the lease even further was made, it would be only until Nov-Dec 2006, at my best guess. There's probably other issues that affect that as well.

As far as the contention of the dirt track facility, yesterday, during the FIN Committee, MO basically listed the reasons why he was having problems with the design and addition of the dirt track...because it's next to an existing runway...the FAA doesn't like the idea of having a dirt track next to a runway. For obvious reasons...MO is actively working to resolve that situation, and he also listed how he's working out those problems...such as designing a proper irrigation system designed to keep the dust level down, along with being in active talks with some dirt racers on how to make it possible.

Even if the dirt track is a definite, SORT basically doesn't want anything to do with MO. That poses a problem for all of us, because it's unresolvable basically. Even if we could get MO to sign something in writing, something concrete, that there'll be a dirt track, they still won't support the WCF because they don't like him personally. This is a sad situation, because it means there is no chance for a compromise between both camps, no matter how much one side or the other wants it.

There's alotta history between them apparently...and that personal stuff is what's standing in the way of the new WCF. Regardless of the smack talk that goes on, on both sides of the issue, this division is basically a hindrance to the entire motorsports community. We are divided, the legislature sees this, and because of it, BOTH of our efforts suffer.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0366/1006/NEWS