To those who got their Subie tinted at Al's Tiniting in Pearl City?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
To those who got their Subie tinted at Al's Tiniting in Pearl City?

For those who had their subaru tinted at Al's Tiniting way back when they were at their old location in waimalu where Pizza hut, Off Road Maui, and Grace's Inn is located.

Are your tint starting to peel or is unusually warping on the edges? Another HIIC member whom also got his STi tinted at Al's Tiniting also showing the same sign but at a worser stage.

So just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this also? Though he and I are planning to go down there and made them aware of the problem, I just hope that "lifetime limited warranty" that came with the purchase of the tint from them is still being honored till this day being that we both got our subaru's tinted in early 2004.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:23 AM

Car Info: Drochthuarach ( look it up lol ) wrx
not to thread jack but where is a good place to get tint done?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Walleye1974
not to thread jack but where is a good place to get tint done?
To tell you the truth, I have no clue whose great and whom is alright. Maybe Yelp can help with determining your choice of tint shop. If I had a tint cutting machine, i would just do my own tint but those machine i think are expensive.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
I've had many cars tinted at Al's...both at their old place and the new one as well...and I've never had a problem with their tinting (then again, I have been purchasing the ceramic tints forthe last 7 years when I do go there). I've also referred many people there. They aren't the cheapest, but I know they use really good quality tint and they stand by their work. I wish I could comment on how their tint stands up, but I usually don't keep cars long. I'm interested to see what happens.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:31 AM

Car Info: '05 Legacy GT Wagon "Bro Tuned"
I've done 5 cars with Als no problems, if there is talk to him and he should address it. It could have to do with the grade of film purchased
Old 06-18-2012, 01:38 AM

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2011
I got my 2011 wrx Hatch tinted from a guy my friend reffered. He drives a 2010 MS3( 5% tint) it came out real nice. I got 35% on mines. His tint are all from his tint shop and does side jobs. He has 3 different types of tint. Got it for $140 straight. It's been over a year now and no fading or peeling. And if it does peel, he said you can come back anytime to fix it
Old 06-18-2012, 06:53 PM

Car Info: '08 DGM FXT
any reputable tinter will back their warranty up. ive taken a car back to tnt 5yrs later for edge seal wear. im guessing you have wear in your roll down windows due to loose rollers. subarus frameless design compounds the problem even more.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 PM
VIP Member

Just an udate:

So I called Al's Tinting and a rep answered the phone. He sounded genuine about trying to help me out. I explained my situation and he long story short, he told me that they might not be able to help me out because I lost the physical hard copy of the warranty paper along with the receipt of purchase. The rep said that because I dont have the paper work on hand ,they might not be able to do much but he did say that I should swing by tomorrow because the actual owner "Al" will be there and there might be something they can do. One thing that makes me scratch my head is that I know at that time, they had computer based Point of Sale system and when I looked at their type of P.O.S system they were running, I know that that system that they were running at the time does create a "digital copy" of the transaction. So shouldnt they be able to pull up my records? Unless they dont/didnt back up their system which Im pretty sure the Comp. Tech that did there set up does allow some type of back up system. I hope everything can work out but if it doesnt, i guess it wasnt meant to be fixed. Oh wells.

Anyways, well find out tomorrow.

So to those that did get their tinting done at Al's tinting, make sure you have your physical copy of the warranty and receipt of purchase just incase.

till then..... enjoy this vid i came across today lol

Oh I do remember I got the ceramic type tint. I remember the dude was doing this demonstration with the different type of tints and using a lamp to sorta simulate the sun. I think I paid close to like $160 bucks but aaahhhh.Im getting old so memory might be iffy

Last edited by dub81; 06-18-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 AM

Car Info: Drochthuarach ( look it up lol ) wrx
that dude needs lap band surgery and TONS ( no pun intended ) of therapy lol
Old 06-19-2012, 06:47 PM

Car Info: 2012 Wrx SWP
didn't want to start a new thread and this topic seems to be kind of related. anyone know were i can get and who can install the red tail light tint for the wrx hatch i see people have around?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:21 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
hawaiian graphics on beretania st has some, and do it yourself, its like putting on a sticker... water, soap, and a squeege
Old 06-24-2012, 02:10 AM

Car Info: 03 G35 / 05 WRX
I am not trying to get any panties twisted BUT do people really think that tint will last forever? cmon guys...yes it comes with a "limited" lifetime warranty. so do tires. so when your tires start to wear out, you gonna go back to the shop that you bought the tires from and ask for new ones cause you have a "Lifetime Warranty" and are being worn faster than YOU would like? its comical. the same can be said for just about every part of your car that you can think of. NOTHING LASTS FOREVER, especially in the sun...everyones car sits in the sun alot of the time. if it didnt then your tint would probably last for 20 years or more like you think...the sun will damage EVERYTHING over time. even the damn roof on your house has to be done every 10-20 years or so...but you think that your tint will last forever? if you got it done in 2004 then you got a good 8 years out of that tint, thats actually about the time that most tint will begin to fail. use common sense before you go and bash a reputable shop like Als tinting.

and if you paid $160 you didnt get ceramic tint. you most likely got solargard hp true grey for that price. the ceramic tint Als had at that time was Huperoptik, that would have been around $360
Old 06-24-2012, 03:19 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by white_devil
I am not trying to get any panties twisted BUT do people really think that tint will last forever? cmon guys...yes it comes with a "limited" lifetime warranty. so do tires. so when your tires start to wear out, you gonna go back to the shop that you bought the tires from and ask for new ones cause you have a "Lifetime Warranty" and are being worn faster than YOU would like? its comical. the same can be said for just about every part of your car that you can think of. NOTHING LASTS FOREVER, especially in the sun...everyones car sits in the sun alot of the time. if it didnt then your tint would probably last for 20 years or more like you think...the sun will damage EVERYTHING over time. even the damn roof on your house has to be done every 10-20 years or so...but you think that your tint will last forever? if you got it done in 2004 then you got a good 8 years out of that tint, thats actually about the time that most tint will begin to fail. use common sense before you go and bash a reputable shop like Als tinting.

and if you paid $160 you didnt get ceramic tint. you most likely got solargard hp true grey for that price. the ceramic tint Als had at that time was Huperoptik, that would have been around $360
Uh....I wasnt bashing on Al's Tinting. I was just simply stating my situation.

Okay, I just realized, maybe you thought I was bashing on them because I stated,"Their P.O.S. system" I guess I should have stated Point Of Sale System/P.O.S. system.

Last edited by dub81; 06-24-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:26 AM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
Originally Posted by white_devil

I'm pretty sure nobody thinks that the tint will outlive humankind on this planet but I have also had cars tinted at AL's and they do say that if it ever bubbles or peels that they will replace it for as long as you own the car. They do also say that you need the original paperwork so you may be out of luck Walt but to say that they shouldn't ask them to fix it is just idiotic. if it happened to my tint i would go back and ask that it be redone whether it was after 1 year or 11 years. they agreed to warranty the tint they should honor it period and if you get a lifetime warranty on tires i would think that you would get new ones if they need to be replaced. if not then you're just plain retarded because thats part of the price you pay when you bought them. just saying
Old 06-24-2012, 03:37 AM
VIP Member

Oh and just to put this thread to rest, I actually paid a visit to them and talked to one of the workers there. He showed me how my warranty card thing looks like and I told him that I lost it. So from there we talked more about the tint. He said that he would charge me 70 bucks for the tint and wouldnt charge me for labor. I told him that I have to respectfully decline because it wouldnt be fair from a business point. So we just worked out prices, I wanted to get it retinted with the same tint but they ran out of the film so he just told me that he would call me back when it comes in from where ever it was located.

Justin, Im not worried about the "limited lifetime warranty" thingy and I knew I was **** out of luck, but the guy said that it wouldnt hurt to just go down to there shop and see what they could do which was cool. With the info obtained, I just told the other iclub member about it.Luckily he has he warranty paper work still so he needs to get his retinted badly compared to mine. lol

Quick Reply: To those who got their Subie tinted at Al's Tiniting in Pearl City?