Thinking, researching, and virtual window shopping

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 02:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Thinking, researching, and virtual window shopping

Thinking pretty seriously about hooking up some nitrous oxide.

What do you think?

Also, Richard, have you heard anything about a program called SPINRITE to repair a hard drive? Says that it can prevent, diagnose and most importantly recover bad clusters (which I have a buttload of.

Lastly, I'm thinking about putting my AEM CAI back on? How do you think I ought to go about tuning my UTEC for it?
Old 05-06-2003, 02:30 AM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Spinrite is a great program, but it takes FOREVER to work.

If you want a copy, let me know.

As for nitrous, I say go for it. I'm not saying that because I want you to blow something up, nor am I saying that as I want you to be the "fastest WRX on the island." I'm saying it because when used right, it can be a great power adder for less cost then adding a new turbo or having a "custom tune."
Old 05-06-2003, 02:55 AM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
^^^^^^^^

Spinrite is GREAT, but if your hard drive has a bunch of failing clusters/bad sectors you're just bandaiding a drive that is on it's way out. I'm poor, that's something I would do. You're a man of considerable facility, buy a new HD!

Nitrous. Hmmm, interesting question. I'm a big proponent of the juice when used in certain situations under certain conditions on certain cars. I've had 2 NOS-injected cars and they've been a BLAST. I've also blown up more than my fair share of parts, and smoked many an opponent with the blue bottle. ( Don't even ask me how much of the stuff I've inhaled! )

I think that you are pushing close to what is already considered the maximum safe amount of HP through that stock EJ20 bottom end (CAST PISTONS FOR GOSH' SAKES!) and wouldn't expect the motor to last too much longer if sprayed on a regular basis even if tuned properly.

If you're putting out 360 horsepower now, you're asking that EJ20 to pump out 90hp per cylinder. That's QUITE A BIT. Put on a 50-shot and let's say you realistically make 400hp. That's 100hp per cylinder. Doesn't sound that impressive? Think of it this way...

That's like asking a stock bottom-half, cast piston V8 to put out 800HP! That's NOT a realistic performance goal when taking into account you want this motor to last in your street car.

Just IMHO of course so please take with a grain of salt.

Like I said, I'm the conservative of this neat group of ours. I'm this way not by nature, but because I was curious, impetuous, young, had the means, and yes greedy lo those many years ago and ended up with a lot of broken parts. I also ended up with the credit card bills for all of those broken parts. I then dug myself out of the hole that I created OVER and OVER and OVER until I finally figured out I didn't want to do it anymore.

With all this being said - you may very well get that motor to live on a 50-shot for quite some time - but it will not be the norm and it WILL be borrowed time.

If you understand the risk and are willing to take the responsibility for those actions I'd be happy to help you with installing/plumbing/tuning/using your nitrous kit.
I got plenty of wheels up, Camaro smoking launches with my Mustangs on the giggle. It's great stuff, but you really do have to be on your toes.

It's like steroids. It won't kill you right away, but it'll surely show you any inherent weaknesses you have REAL QUICK and CANNOT be considered "good for you" no matter what kind of spin you put on it.

How fast do you want to go?
Old 05-06-2003, 03:25 AM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Hmm, I was only talking a 35 shot or so from a wetkit...
Old 05-06-2003, 10:11 AM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
Pat .... do it .... that's what you have that spare block lying around for!

... but like Richard said, ... you really be pushing the limits, ... but you know where I stand on that one.
I think you could run a 50shot 'safely' though, ... just don't go using a bottle a day!

... and Richard, ... if you ever compare a pos american V8 to an import 4cyl again, .... I'm gonna knock you in the head then throw you into a crowd of horny mahu's!!
Old 05-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Originally posted by Nolimit
.... I'm gonna knock you in the head then throw you into a crowd of horny mahu's!!
Nolimit, don't take Richard to one of those Navy get-togethers...
Old 05-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Where is my beer?

Originally posted by Ditchhanger
No, .... you must be thinking of Dom!!!
Old 05-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Staff Member

Originally posted by Nolimit
No, .... you must be thinking of Dom!!!
That's right...water, popping wood, horny mahu's...I stand corrected...you are right!
Old 05-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Where is my beer?

Wink

lol!!
Old 05-06-2003, 10:25 AM
Staff Member

Sorry Dom...not to be mean...but it is just to easy to make fun sometimes...and I hear you take it well...
Old 05-06-2003, 10:49 AM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Ditchhanger

Bawhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahha
Old 05-06-2003, 11:30 AM
VIP Member

Mitch and Richard (sound like a couple of '60's British pop icons),

I'll see if I can't come down to see one of you sometime to p/u that program. Rich, I think you've got me mistaken with someone else about my means. I've got as much wealth as the bank (and wife) allows me. I love making that phone call, "hello B of A, could I bump up my limit again?"

I'm sorta torn about walking the edge. I believe that the comment about borrowed time is right on the money and well taken, but couldn't the same thing be said about the 140+ passes at the dragstrip taking a tremendous toll on my Suby's engine? Just playing devil's advocate. ...Yeah, I know it's my car, my money, my decision. I'm just trying to make myself execute a sound decision making process so that whichever decision I go with is based on as much fact as possible.

Of course, I wish I could think of more options than what I am right now; on the spectrum of safer but slower to risky but faster.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:47 AM
VIP Member

Also, for each option, what are some of the mitigating factors that will lessen the damaging effects?

...for more power, possibly forged internals? Stronger tranny and diff's? Anymore? Which 'safeguards' are lesser expensive but still effective?
Old 05-06-2003, 12:59 PM
Where is my beer?

J&S Ultra-Safeguard for God's sake!!!!!

Pat, there are Many people running nitrous and have no engine management, no up-sized injectors, etc. And they have not 'blown' their motor yet. So you can see that bad things don't happen to everyone.

Of course, with my luck, ... I'd have a spare motor standing by whenever I put a nitrous kit on my car.

forged internals goooood.
built transmission goooood.
... don't worry about your diff, your tranny will go first, ... trust me! I know! (sorry Jayson!)

Old 05-06-2003, 01:10 PM
VIP Member

As of right at this moment, I'm leaning towards a small N2O kit. I know I won't be able to get it until after Aug, and I'll probably change my mind many times between now and then.

Things I'm thinking about: (go-fast related and not)
-inexpensive 17" rims
-Venom, Nitrous Express, Edelbrock, Holley, or Zex
-Waist wing
-Tranny gears - dog box (probably not), synchro'd(?), Type RA spec C, USDM STI tranny....
-Forged pistons and conrods (also thinking about a stroker)
-pricing the USDM STI long block
-becoming a hitman

Quick Reply: Thinking, researching, and virtual window shopping