Thinking of clearing out '04 OEM headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 12:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Question Thinking of clearing out '04 OEM headlights.

I was planning to clear out my '04 headlights but first want to know how many of you guys own an '04-'05 GDA/GDB have done it and how many layers of silicone sealant have you put or your techniques to ensure no condensation in your headlights. Feedbacks will be definetly appreciated. Yo jamesta wrx, pm'd you about your rims...
Old 02-19-2006, 08:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
Randy (808sti), Brandy(sykosis), Matt(ragewrx), and some other folks(forgot) has done it before, might wanna pm them or hopefully they reply to your thread....im sure Randy is willing to lend a hand, just ask....
Old 02-19-2006, 09:54 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
i did mines......pretty easy ......no silicone sealant was used......been cleared out for a year already and had no problems.......

be careful when clearing it out.......take your time......
Old 02-19-2006, 10:20 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
I would definately use silicone sealant. It's to ensure a watertight seal to avoid moisture inside the housing, which may lead to bulb failure.

It's pretty easy to do. I'm sure you'll find help easily. Time permitting, I can probably help out. All you need is silicone sealant, a flathead screwdriver, an oven, and a cute little apron. Perhaps Randy can jump in on this?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Actually, when I cleared out my headlights, there was no need to put extra silicone sealant when putting the headlights back together. THere was so much of the black sealant goop that it sealed perfectly. Then again, I am a little OCD, so I took extra care in making sure that it sealed properly. I even took them apart twice, and both times there was no problems with leakage or condensation.

However, I have seen some that were cleared with not so good results.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:54 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Smile

Silicon can't hurt. Do you have the thread from NASIOC or somewhere else to guide you? I used clear... but it turns out black would have better. Do you know the ice trick. Use a SMOOTH ice cube (melt it on your hand) to flatten the bead you put down around the lamp. If you reheat to put back together you should be alright. But living in the islands I TOO would insure the seal with silicon. Your '04 has brighter surrounds 'phony chrome'. You can spray the surrounds with Krylon Semi-Flat Black and they look very sharp. My '05's were left with original steel grey plastic... they seemed to go with the two tone of the OBS. Don't forget to ditch the amber bulbs for mirrored/amber or LED clear/amber bulbs. I also used 'hyper white' for my running lights. Then disabled my DRL's. Good luck!

Here are the finished lights:
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of clearing out '04 OEM headlights.-clearedlights.jpg   Thinking of clearing out '04 OEM headlights.-clearedlights2.jpg  

Last edited by NW OBS; 02-19-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:11 PM
VIP Member

Talking

Thanks a whole lot fellow i-clubbers. I deeply appreciate the feedback and am going foward with clearing out the headlights and maybe give it a black housing effect. And to NW OBS, yes i just got the how to forum from NASIOC.THanks alot bros.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:22 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Originally Posted by dub81
Thanks a whole lot fellow i-clubbers. I deeply appreciate the feedback and am going foward with clearing out the headlights and maybe give it a black housing effect. And to NW OBS, yes i just got the how to forum from NASIOC.THanks alot bros.
Your welcome, bro!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:35 PM

Car Info: car
if you open your headlights more than 3 times, make sure you buy more sealant to reseal it good. one or two times is okay, but if you keep tinkering with it you definately need to reseal it with more glue. the black stuff can be found at napa auto parts. a friend and i had a good seal on our lights until we opened them too much. good luck!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:55 PM

Car Info: 05 STi Black on Gold
Originally Posted by NW OBS
Your welcome, bro!
Hey NW OBS, can you post full pics of your car?
Old 06-27-2006, 01:24 AM
VIP Member

Wink Im on Natural High"Chronic out"

Tonight is the night!!!I got me a heat gun from Home Depot.But will take a while. I was wondering instead of putting the headlights in the Oven(since our oven dont work anymore), can I put it in my microwave oven?? What do you guys think?
Old 06-27-2006, 01:42 AM

Car Info: easystreet's ESX 344 Stage 4 Dyno Tuned
Tonight is the night!!!I got me a heat gun from Home Depot.But will take a while. I was wondering instead of putting the headlights in the Oven(since our oven dont work anymore), can I put it in my microwave oven?? What do you guys think?

i did mark's headlights on his sti and we didnt use a heat gun period, we rebaked them for 10-15, and we used my new oven, please dont use the mcro wave, i know u were just joking right
Old 06-27-2006, 02:06 AM

Car Info: 09 WrX Pearl White 5dr hb / 04 Wrx White
ehhh yah no use microwave... wat about oven-toaster? or bread-toaster?
Old 06-27-2006, 02:26 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by danWrX
ehhh yah no use microwave... wat about oven-toaster? or bread-toaster?

lol...Dont worry Bobby and Dan. It was just a stupid question!!!LOL. I was thinking about using the my stink morning breath to melt the adhesives of the headlights.HAHAHA...Well right now, im taking a break. Just got to top part of the drivers side headlight cracked open!!!
Old 06-27-2006, 03:07 AM

Car Info: 2004 Aust spec Sti
lol...Dont worry Bobby and Dan. It was just a stupid question!!!LOL. I was thinking about using the my stink morning breath to melt the adhesives of the headlights.HAHAHA...Well right now, im taking a break. Just got to top part of the drivers side headlight cracked open!!!
1.remove the headlights 3x10mm bolts 2 ontop and 1 behind the front bar
2."" the grille and the 9 plastic securing screw/bolt thingy's
3.unplug the lights
4.pre heat fan forced oven to 100c
5.remove all globes and the 9 phillips head screws from the headlight
6.place into oven for 10 min's
7.remove from the oven, i use dishwashing gloves
8.flat tip screw driver seperate the 3 clips along the bottom of the light fitting
9.pull apart with the H/L standing on the flat edge/outside, now here i use a hacksaw blade to cut away the sicker flex as it gets a little messy and you dont want any on the inside of the lense or on the reflector
10.remove the phillip' head screw from the rear of the reflector
11.pull out the reflector enough to enable the orange bit to be removed
12.i use a flat tip screw driver or pointy nose pliers to close the orange bit's little clip then it just pulls out
13. place 2 halves back together and place back into oven for 3 mins to soften up the sealant again
14. remove and quickly replace all the screws making sure that the 3 clips along the bottom have clipped in, then re install all globes and then into car....

you can also paint the reflector black like i have done , it looks heaps better, i use high temp engine enamel for this, with an etching primer

any probs let me know

cheers,
Shane

p.s. this is in celsius, also the us lights have the 2 orange bits unlike the aust spec ones,
i have done approx 80 cars now with no probs, due to condensation, so no extra sealant is required, but do your self a favour and paint the reflector black and use the phillips silver vision bulbs

Last edited by basil brush; 06-27-2006 at 03:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of clearing out '04 OEM headlights.