There will be no World Class Facility. :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 11:50 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
can't wait for increase in race wars
Old 04-12-2006, 12:49 AM

Car Info: 05 wrb wrx wagon
**** that sucks. soon as i get a decent car, tracks close down.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:08 AM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
WHAT?! great, just great ....... How bout plan B???? Make the state buy the current land that HRP is on, and improve it.....Is that still possible??? I'm very upset hearing this news......
Old 04-12-2006, 03:35 AM

Car Info: monster truck
man i feel for you guys... i guess you gotta load your car up and come race here on Maui....
Old 04-12-2006, 03:43 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Dave, there is much more to this situation than I believe you know. When I have time, I'll post all the links/info on why this is so complicated. The lease on that land is up, and part of it belongs to the Navy. This is why we're not fighting to keep the same track open. The track itself is not ideal for a lof of us track racers. There is not enough runoff space, etc. to consider it a safe track. Also, it is just too small to hold any serious events. It would not be good to reuse the land it's already on.

All this effort is towards a new facility where proper and greater events can be held with greater safety margins. Even the bleachers will be much safer. Anybody who's walked on the bleachers at HRP knows what I'm talking about, especially those bleachers by the snack stand. Have you seen the design for the proposed World Class Facility? This would allow more than one even to be held at the same time. This way, many of the branches of motorsports here wouldn't have to butt heads over track dates. There would be a dedicated 1/4 mile dragstrip with much more runoff area at the end. There will be a racing oval, a road course, a motocross course, go-kart/amusement track, and skidpad.

Name:  dirtovaltrack.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  57.3 KB

This was a proposed design and though it's no Laguna Seca, it's worlds better than what we had and I can't complain. It looks like a LOT of fun to me.

What really gets to me is that some people are going to use the track closure as justification for street racing.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:07 AM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
^^^^Thanks for the info Josh I have a better understanding...It's too bad this concept will never be built
Old 04-12-2006, 08:39 AM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT Lmt
Originally Posted by sneezerboi
Today is a sad day for me and for all racers on Oahu. As of right now there will be no World Class Facility for racing. A sincere thank you goes out to all of you who supported the efforts towards the new Facility. For those of you who don't know, Hawaii Raceway Park closed permanently the beginning of this month, leaving racers without a legal venue.

For a while now, many supporters of the track have been fighting for the building of a new racing facility. The efforts were for tax credits to be approved by the state so that investors can go ahead and build a world class racing facility. I know many personally affected by this and as for me, a deep depression has set in. I have been optimistic about this movement since the beginning and this has been a major blow.

Some great times have been had by a lot of my friends and me on the grounds of Hawaii Raceway Park. Never again will I wait in the staging lanes or hear the announcer call out times. Never again will I compete with my peers on an autocross course. Never again will I get the chance at the short course piloting my Forester through sweepers, straightaways, crossovers, chicanes, and off-camber turns. Never again can I make new memories to share with fellow motorsports enthusiasts. Never again can I enjoy a BBQ with my fellow i-club family in the pit circle, not caring if I ran a 15 or a 13 second 1/4 mile. Never again can I preach to the younger street racers to take it to the tracks because for now, that priviledge has been taken away from us all. Many families for many generations had great times at the Raceway Park. Many traditions were built there and for now, there will be no more.

It is indeed a sad day for us all. I can only look forward and hope that those with the power open their eyes and realize what a huge mistake they are making in not approving the tax credits needed to progress with this project. I fear for the public as angered immature racers with the need for speed take it to the freeways, endagering other innocent motorists' lives. How many street racing accidents will it take to convince the city and state that we NEED a facility compete safely and legally?
^That should be sent to the paper.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:26 AM

Apparently, somebody has copied, pasted, and resposted this on Myspace. I'm not going to say which Shaggy did it.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
Thumbs up

Apparently, somebody has copied, pasted, and resposted this on Myspace. I'm not going to say which Shaggy did it.

Thats a great idea, I encourage everyone to copy and paste Josh (Statement), and we should email it, post it anywhere and everywhere, so people can see what is going on in the Racing World on Oahu.....and Hopefully they can open their eyes a little more.....Nicely done Josh....
Old 04-12-2006, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
hey i gave u all the credit on myspace saying josh from i-club wrote it
Old 04-13-2006, 11:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by thunder_sti
Thats a great idea, I encourage everyone to copy and paste Josh (Statement), and we should email it, post it anywhere and everywhere, so people can see what is going on in the Racing World on Oahu.....and Hopefully they can open their eyes a little more.....Nicely done Josh....
WAIT...before you release it to the world give me a few minutes to proof and edit it!

Hold on...
Old 04-13-2006, 11:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Today is a sad day for myself as well as all racers on Oahu. As of right now, there will be no World Class Facility for racing on the island. A sincere thank you, goes out to all of you who supported the efforts towards the new Facility. For those of you who don't know, Hawaii Raceway Park closed permanently at the beginning of this month, leaving racers without a legal venue.

For a while now, many supporters of the track have been fighting for the building of a new racing facility. The efforts were focused on tax credits to be approved by the state so that investors can go ahead and build a world class racing facility. I know many personally affected by this and as for me, a deep depression has set in. I have been optimistic about this movement since the beginning and this has been a major blow.

Some great times have been had by a lot of my friends and me on the grounds of Hawaii Raceway Park. Never again will I wait in the staging lanes or hear the announcer call out times. Never again will I compete with my peers on an autocross course. Never again will I get a chance to run the short course, piloting my Forester through sweepers, straight-aways, crossovers, chicanes, and off-camber turns. Never again can I make new memories to share with fellow motorsports enthusiasts. Never again can I enjoy a BBQ with my fellow i-club family in the pit circle, not caring if I ran a 15 or a 13 second 1/4 mile. Never again can I preach to the younger street racers to take it to the tracks because for now, that privilege has been taken away from us all. Many families for many generations had great times at the Raceway Park. Many traditions were built there and for now, there will be no more.

It is indeed a sad day for us all. I can only look forward and hope that those with the power open their eyes and realize what a huge mistake they are making in not approving the tax credits needed to progress with this project. I fear for the public as angered immature racers with the need for speed take it to the freeways, endangering other innocent motorists' lives. How many street racing accidents will it take to convince the city and state that we NEED a facility to compete safely and legally?
Done

Josh let me know if you don't like the changes...mostly just grammar.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:42 PM

Car Info: 1993 RX-7/2002 Subaru WRX
Some good news...the WCF is going to be pushed forward without the tax credit. I'll have more information as it becomes available. So it's now not in the hands of politicians any more.

Originally Posted by prontostar
Mr. Oakland,
if you are able to secure a deal for parcel 9, will you be able to proceed in the construction of a track without the tax credit? Will you try to get the tax credit bills passed again? What's plan B?

thanks,
CW
Originally Posted by grampa
Please remember that I started this project for parcel 9 in the mid 90's, before the Tax credit craze. The BP in place was done with private investors in mind. Its only the scale and magnitude of the project that gets affected by the dollars. The Tax credits were to get Bigger and better influence with the "Major Auto Manufacturers" to insure particpation in the major events. The BRAC 93 round of base closures was signed off in 99 with the racetrack approved by all, including DOI, DOD and our then current governor.

The DHHL agreements need to be honored and I am working on that portion first.!! MO
Old 04-18-2006, 05:21 PM

Definitely good news
Old 04-18-2006, 05:45 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
wooohoooo

Quick Reply: There will be no World Class Facility. :(