Thanks Jon (Infek) and Jimi (juniorsti)!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:42 AM

Car Info: 05 LegaSTI
Thanks Jon (Infek) and Jimi (juniorsti)!!

Thanks Jon for changing the water pump, timing belt & other belts (AC, alternator, power steering) on my LGT!! Thanks also to Jimi for helping out!

There were some unexpected challenges along the way but you guys managed to work things out.

Word of advice for anyone who decides to order the Gates racing water pump kit from Fred Beans Parts... use an OEM water pump gasket. The cheap gasket that came with the kit tore and caused a significant coolant leak.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
Good deals!, mad props!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Xen

Car Info: DDP
should have ordered from oakos, fast delivery and comes with oem gaskets. (no thermostat included)

but anyways congrats i did the timing belt change myself, took me the whole weekend. was alot easier than i thought..
Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM

Car Info: 07 Sti
I actually have the oem Tbelt kit from gates for the specific reason that it comes with oem gaskets! Kind of weird that they include different ones with the racing belt but I'm glad I looked it up efore purchasing.

Jon and Jimi must be an impressive duo working on a subie too, I'm sure it gives you peace of mind to know the job was done right!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Right on Chris, Jon + Jimi are among the Furious Five that Know the Flat 4 very Very Well. I would let them open up my subie's and rx7 just so they can tickle their fancy of fixing it. Wow, since when did you guys get together and not invite me. Jon + Jimi just made me EMO!!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:06 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
it's when you stopped calling or texting LOL!

Jimi is an unending wealth of knowledge so I chose to use one of my lifelines and phoned a friend.

The gates kit supplied a paper gasket which didn't seal the connection between the block and the water pump.

Oakos has been in the community for a while as a reputable vendor.

Xen: what did you buy in your kit that required a gasket if the water pump wasn't included in the deal?

It isn't necessary to change the water pump but since you're there it doesn't hurt. If you took it one step further (like I did) and changed the oil pump at the same time then you'd need a few rubber o-rings that are very important. Not to mention a very fragile crank sprocket gear. My EJ205 engine had the works done on it
Old 02-07-2011, 09:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Yikes in regards to that bad gasket. Just goes to show that you should ALWAYS pay attention to anything you're getting in a kit because most times that's what the retailer will skimp on.

Reminds me of the crappy ebay UPs and DPs people were getting that came with those junkie paper/fiber gaskets.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Originally Posted by iNfEk
Jimi is an unending wealth of knowledge so I chose to use one of my lifelines and phoned a friend.
haha, you are one of my phone a friends when I needed help.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Xen

Originally Posted by iNfEk
it's when you stopped calling or texting LOL!

The gates kit supplied a paper gasket which didn't seal the connection between the block and the water pump.

Oakos has been in the community for a while as a reputable vendor.

Xen: what did you buy in your kit that required a gasket if the water pump wasn't included in the deal?

It isn't necessary to change the water pump but since you're there it doesn't hurt. If you took it one step further (like I did) and changed the oil pump at the same time then you'd need a few rubber o-rings that are very important. Not to mention a very fragile crank sprocket gear. My EJ205 engine had the works done on it
it came with a water pump actually, but no thermostat. to be honest im actually driving my car without one still ...so far the only negative consequences ive noticed are faster fuel consumption and longer warm-up times.
anyways the kit originally comes with the paper gasket aformentioned, but oakos gave the option of including the oem gasket for an additional $3-4.
i did however run into a coolant leak as well, because i forgot to put the thermostat housing gasket..but yeah i think i could have done a better, complete job like how you replaced the oil pump too...but i guess that'll haunt me in the future lol. im actually surprised i was able to do a big repair like that with no experience on flat 4's.

oh and the reason why i changed mines was because of the small idler pulley that was on its way out, making a terrible squeaking noise. it looked like it was about to break off soon... if it did who knows what it could have damaged.

Last edited by Xen; 02-08-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:49 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
Ijust wanted to let you know that was the first quality post that i've read from you, and my opinion (online, as i've never met you) of you has increased. Not that you cared, but i thought you should know.
Originally Posted by Xen
it came with a water pump actually, but no thermostat. to be honest im actually driving my car without one still ...so far the only negative consequences ive noticed are faster fuel consumption and longer warm-up times.
anyways the kit originally comes with the paper gasket aformentioned, but oakos gave the option of including the oem gasket for an additional $3-4.
i did however run into a coolant leak as well, because i forgot to put the thermostat housing gasket..but yeah i think i could have done a better, complete job like how you replaced the oil pump too...but i guess that'll haunt me in the future lol. im actually surprised i was able to do a big repair like that with no experience on flat 4's.

oh and the reason why i changed mines was because of the small idler pulley that was on its way out, making a terrible squeaking noise. it looked like it was about to break off soon... if it did who knows what it could have damaged.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Xen

Originally Posted by 808subaru
Ijust wanted to let you know that was the first quality post that i've read from you, and my opinion (online, as i've never met you) of you has increased. Not that you cared, but i thought you should know.
thanks. ill try my best to get to know more people in person..

and dang, threw a cel yesterday...P0117. guess i gotta get that thermo back in before worse happens.