test drove an EVO today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 11:17 PM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
test drove an EVO today...

cliff notes at bottom...

so i went to the mitsu dealership today...apparently all 04 mitsus have a 10 year/100000mile powertrain warranty...they have 3 evos left, 2 yellow and one red one...my salesman was an idiot...he said they're still going over MSRP, but we "could work something out"...like i'd pay msrp for a 2003 when it's already 2004... ...he says that the evos dont go by model year and are only by series, so there's not gonna really be a 2004 evo, and the ones on the lot are very rare collectibles...whatever...

anywhoo, he asks me what is most important to me, so i say performance...he asks what other cars i looked at, and i gave him my list...he then says that the Z06 is awesome, but it's only good in a straight line, and that the evo would kill it in the twisties...i was soooooo tempted to ask if he knew the Z06 pulls sub 8 minute runs on the nurburgring, and if he even knew what the n-ring was...

he then asks me if i'm gonna finace or pay it in full...i tell him, it's kinda hard to decide since i havent even driven the car yet...so he gets the keys...

he opens the trunk, and brags about the space, which isnt that much...he then pops the hood and says that the battery is maintenance free...of all the things to mention, he talks about the battery...and i even questioned him about it being maintenance free as it has the plugs for where you fill it up with water?!?

salesman was quiet through the whole ride...didnt mention much and didnt explain or even try to sell the car...

it pulls nice from ~3500 and hearing the turbo spool up is cool...but overall, it wasnt as impressive as i thought it would be...the clutch was light, and caught up pretty high...seats were nice and held me in pretty good...the steering was awesome...ultra quick response...anyone else notice that for having such a quick response, that the turning radius is pretty big for a car that size??? grip was good, as expected...the interior is pretty bland...nothing nice about it...pedal position is nice and i was able to do a few smooth heel-toe downshifts...that engine runs hot though...i could see the "wavyness" from the hood vent, you know when a surface is hot, you see the image behind it all blurred and stuff....

we get back and i tell him i'll think about it...i ask him questions about the car, but he cant answer any of them...he says they have special financing and i ask him what it is, he goes and checks and comes back saying, sorry, no special financing on the evos...he asks why i wont but it today, and i tell him i'm still looking for something that catches my eye...the evo wasnt it...even the GF says that she doesnt think that car is worth 30k...

all in all, i wouldnt buy one...it just didnt impress me...the only thing i liked were the seats and steering ratio...but those two alone wont make me buy that car...

cliff notes: test drove evo, salesman an idiot, not too impressed by the car, didnt buy it...

i went to the BMW dealer to try and drive dave's old car,but it wasnt there anymore..it got sold...
Old 01-29-2004, 11:26 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
didn't they ask 34k for Dave's STI?

Last edited by BoOm; 01-29-2004 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:35 PM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
Originally posted by BoOm
didn't they ask 34k for Dave's STI?
they told me 32k when iwas there 2 weeks ago...
Old 01-29-2004, 11:57 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
The EVO would ROCK if it was $25,000!
Old 01-30-2004, 12:11 AM

No Evo RS,yet? I read those are cheaper than the standard Evo.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:12 AM

Car Info: Justy
Originally posted by hiwrx
No Evo RS,yet? I read those are cheaper than the standard Evo.
Hawaii Mitsubishi would still probably over charge for the Evo RS too.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
Thanks poser. I didn't feel the need to be vindicated by another person's opinions about the Evo, but I felt the same way after I drove it. The Evo is a great car, but it isn't great foir me for the same reasons you mentioned. Your cliff's notes are exactly how my experience went, despite the fact they bugged the $hiet out of me and kept my license for one day!
Old 02-01-2004, 12:54 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
Originally posted by Ditchhanger
The Evo is a great car, but it isn't great foir me for the same reasons you mentioned. Your cliff's notes are exactly how my experience went, despite the fact they bugged the $hiet out of me and kept my license for one day!
drivers license means "glue" to some dealerships! in your case it was butter cuz you just slipped away! i second that motion about 25 g's . . . i think it would be awesome to own a subaru and a mitsu(but not for that hefty p.t.) although i was impressed by the seats and the loud "whooosssh!!"