street tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:01 PM

Car Info: 05 Aspen White STi wid 2 AK47's in da trunk!
street tuner?

is there anyone here on oahu that has the street tuner for their cobb AP? if there is, i was wondering how do u get the street tuner software? i tried looking all over the cobb website and forums and they talk about how to get it. and is it hard to tune?

also has anyone heard of EFI tuning? they got a class you can take to get certified to be a tuner but it cost so much!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Vakamon carries street tuner, whether its in stock is another question
Old 03-17-2008, 10:26 PM

Car Info: 05 Aspen White STi wid 2 AK47's in da trunk!
i'll give them a call.... does anyone have any experience using the street tuner on dynos or on the street?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:31 PM
banned

Car Info: .
I have the advanced version, which is pretty much protuner features, but you can't tune other cars but your own. I've had it for a couple years.

I'm also playing with open source right now for my gf's legacy.
What do you want to know about it? It's pretty versatile, but if you plan to just get some dyno numbers, I recommend getting a tactrix cable and reflashing...much cheaper imo.

Street tuner's real value is the real time adjustments you can make (real time map versus base), which is convenient when tuning things such as tip-in and driveability, but other than that, I have to say that reflashing with romraider (enginuity) is just as powerful, although you have to reflash with every change.

I'd say that the subaru IAM system is a tad complex, and you do have some reading to do before starting, but no, it's not hard. The hardest part is understanding that your final timing is the culmination of a variety of tables.

In the old days, you looked up the load, rpm and timing value, and you changed the cel to what you wanted the final value to be. Now you have to know which map the engine is taking its numbers from, why it's doing so, and finally, what you want your final timing should be. 28 degrees at 3400 rpm at 16psi for example can be achieved from a variety of different ways. It would be good to change the 28 to a number you wanted, but that's not how the subaru ecu operates.

It's actually safer for the car with this complexity, as it's adjusting to different conditions.

Last edited by reid-o; 03-18-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:48 PM
banned

Car Info: .
I also forgot to mention that, if you already have an AP and are running stage II or stage I as a basemap, you can make "edits" to your basemap by pulling your rom and editing the tables, very much like Street Tuner, using Enginuity and reflashing back.

The only bad part is that, as I've said, every change requires a reflash.

You cannot do this, however, if you have a protune with a real time map and basemap.

*hint*
Tactrix cable is 79.00