Strange noise from my STi

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 04:09 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
Strange noise from my STi

I just started noticing an odd noise from my car this afternoon. When I reversed out of a parking stall, I heard a noise similar to a rubbing noise as if the tire was rubbing against something. I am completely stock, and visual inspection doesn't reveal any signs of the front tires rubbing against the fender or suspension or anything.

It only makes this sound when I am making a sharp turn, with the steering wheel at nearly full lock (really sounds a lot like a truck with oversized tires rubbing against the frame when the wheel is turned full lock in left/right direction). It happens in either direction of wheel lock and in both forward and reverse. Could it be the 4wd having issues? I've only noticed it at low speeds (I have been very gentle with the car all day ever since this started).
I should also note that I never abuse the car. I don't drop the clutch nor do I "play rough" with it.
I'm taking it to the Hilo Subaru dealer in the morning to see if they can take a look at it. I was just curious if anyone has any ideas what this could be.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:38 AM

Car Info: X-driver of the "SWAGON"
Exclamation ???

It could be the DCCD setting....if you have it in 35/65 mode you will tend to hear a funny nosie when in reverse, but this is normal for the STi....jsut put the DCCD setting back to AUTO when reverseing...HOPE THIS WILL HELP...JUST MY 2 cents
Old 10-16-2004, 01:26 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
doesn't sound like its coming from the strut does it?
Old 10-16-2004, 03:29 PM

Car Info: 2011 White Forester.
Red face

Originally Posted by WfknRX
It could be the DCCD setting....if you have it in 35/65 mode you will tend to hear a funny nosie when in reverse, but this is normal for the STi....jsut put the DCCD setting back to AUTO when reverseing...HOPE THIS WILL HELP...JUST MY 2 cents
yup... could be dccd... played around before with it.. and grinding noise came out on specific situations...
Old 10-16-2004, 04:28 PM

Thumbs up

I couldn't go to the Subby dealer today. But I did take your suggestions and left the DCCD on auto. I didn't hear that rubbing/clutter noise after. So maybe that was the problem?
It's just odd that the noise only just started yesterday since I've been setting 35/65 for the past 4000 miles. It made the nose in both forward and reverse everytime the steering wheel was at full turn left or right.
I'll keep running in Auto DCCD and will keep listening for any noises.

Thanks for the help folks!!
Old 10-17-2004, 03:18 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
Are you sure it was in 35/65 for the last 4k, because that would mean that you turn it to that every single time you start your car. Either way my STi makes funny noises in the 4-wheel lock, so I wouldn't worry at all it is very normal.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:59 AM

Yes keirnna, it became habit for me to simply click off the Auto mode everytime I stared my car.
The only reason I got into that habit in the first place was from a few threads I read about the 35/65 setting saving a small bit of fuel economy. I wanted to do a very extended test on that. I guess 4000 miles will have to do. I've been recording my mileage (I keep my fuel receipts and log the mileage garnered on each receipt to get an average MPG throughout). Now that I'm running in Auto DCCD mode, I'll do another 4k miles and see if there's any difference.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:38 PM

so whats the outcome when you have it in 35/65 or in auto. I myself have tried that and I usually get the same. Maybe because i am heavy footed but recently have been trying to lay off and have been getting 17-20 in auto and 20 in 35/65. I never use full lock or one light below that cause you'll get that god awful rubbing sound. I only use that when I'm on gravel, sand or when it is flooding.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:25 PM

I'm only at around 200 miles testing with Auto DCCD so I don't have any mileage figures yet. In 35/65, I've averaged 21 mpg daily driving (at about 2k of testing. I'll figure in the other fuel receipts tonight and get the full 4k mileage tests). So far, it's much better than I thought I was getting since the goofy fuel gauge never tells a story straight. This is all with 92 octane (the best I can get here).

From what I'm hearing, it's only about a 1 or 2 mpg difference from Auto mode in favor of the 35/65 setting. Those tests were done by folks using a smaller mileage sample. I'm hoping a 4k sample for each will yield sufficient data. Driving style, distance, and terrain (road conditions) have been constant in my day-to-day driving.

Peace
Old 10-18-2004, 01:33 AM

Sushi... what gas company do you use? Just curious cause I use only 76 from now on. Cause Costco and Chevron use to make my Tacoma ping. And when I used costco (they use Aloha on dis side) in my STI.. the car ran super crappy.

And are you from Keaau? Get someone on that side selling their white STI .. just take over payments. Do you know the guys??
Old 10-18-2004, 11:04 AM

wrx~god:

As often as possible, i run 76. I only put in 2 or 3 gallons of other stations if I'm really low and just need enough to get to a 76 station hehe.
Yup, I'm located in Keaau now. I see a silver STi driving by every once in a while for sale. He seems to be located in the Keaau area as well.
The only white STis I know about aren't for sale as far as I'm aware of (two of them in the Hilo area).
I spoke with the owner of the white STi somewhat recently (just talk story in the parking lot) and I don't think he's selling. I get more of an indication that he's modding instead.
I wonder how much the take-over pmts are on the silver...

^_^
Old 10-18-2004, 04:17 PM

wassup again sushi. I called the person with the white STI and she was located in Hilo. It was a girls one but she said that her husband drives it around a lot. Is there one with a lot of girly stickers on it?? Someone on that side said had one. And she just wanted t.o.p. But guess how much the ending balance on her loan was???? Lets just say its pretty high. I was thinking about buying that one for my gf but I could get an 05 for the same price. I'll be heading that side this weekend for the cruise. If ya see me... cruising around, gimme a flash. I wave at everybody with rexes... especially STI's. White on silver....stock.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:57 PM

Hmmm... I think I know which white STi that is... I recall seeing a white one with pink star decals on the sides.

What side you located on? I also wave at all the WRX/STis I see on the road. Mine is an 04 black... only thing distinguishing about it is the screen in the scoop. I left it silver so it stands out from the other black STis crusin around Hilo.

I tried to wave at a silver Evo the other week, but all he did was blast me with is bov.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sushi_n_Beer
Hmmm... I think I know which white STi that is... I recall seeing a white one with pink star decals on the sides.

What side you located on? I also wave at all the WRX/STis I see on the road. Mine is an 04 black... only thing distinguishing about it is the screen in the scoop. I left it silver so it stands out from the other black STis crusin around Hilo.

I tried to wave at a silver Evo the other week, but all he did was blast me with is bov.
Kona.. and if you see that Silver Evo again with the bov and it has a young punky guy... probably with 3 other young kids, then flick him off. He tried showing off in the Lanihau parking lot by speeding up and chirping his tires and setting off his bov. Right in the back of me. I had my kids with me and he was endagering all the peoples lives cause had people walking all over the place. It had no plates last month, but all he was doing was acting stupid. Got people looking for that guy. Probably not the same guy, but only got a handfull of Evos with bov's here. Too bad he brought down the reputation of the Evo crowd over here.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:08 AM

Maybe same guy.. I haven't seen any other silver Evos with bov here (his was really loud). He also had really illegal looking nichrome tint. Either way, a legit race track is right in town and I'll be happy to direct him to it.
From the way you describe how he treats his car, I doubt it'll be in any racing condition.

I'll make note of his plates if I ever see him again. My wife works next to the police station... I'll give them a heads-up on this kid. Hot rodding in a parking lot is way uncool.
I don't think it's a Hilo car cause I've only seen him once. There's another silver Evo that cruises around hilo from time to time. He has some graphics on his car, so it's a different one for sure. Also the guy seems mellow. I'll wave at him next time and see what happens.

You're in Kona side? Only STi I've seen there was a silver/gold. Shakas exchanged!

Quick Reply: Strange noise from my STi