Stock ecu

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 02:50 PM

Car Info: Vakamon WRX
Stock ecu

May I please borrow or rent someone's ecu for approximately one week?

Thanks,
Chris
429-2854
Old 05-13-2003, 07:16 PM

Car Info: Pilot & Prius.
How much are the stock ECUs to buy?

Sounds like we need a loaner ECU hanging around the i-Club for all these times. Everyone needs em all the time for reflashes.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:22 PM

I think Cobb sells them for under $500.00.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:26 PM

Ok, here goes my stupid noob dumbazz question for the week, day, ok hour...

I shouldnt even ask, but Im curious so dont get all excited about jumping on me for this one.

[stupid question]I am assuming the sti ecu is completely different from the wrx/rs's, but what are compatible. I mean if there was a stock rex ecu it would work for rs's, but not stis right?[/stupid question]
Old 05-13-2003, 08:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Dude, that's not a stupid question at all.

Let me attempt to answer first before I go into my diatribe.

I'd tell you that the 3 ECU's are not compatible based on displacement, injector size, and possibly (but I have no way of knowing) pinouts. Actually, I'd guess that all 3 probably look the same and more than likely have the same pinouts, but the maps contained inside are where they would differ.

Asking questions in this forum. Highly encouraged and aligned with the original nature of a forum or newsgroup or BBS. It would just seem that there is a code in the HIIC which says you must ask all questions in a respectful manner and at least have attempted to have done some homework. Also, it has to pertain to something or you risk getting your feelings hurt.

Example, "Hey, what's everyone's opinion on Aquamist (a mechanism for actually spraying water or water and alcohol into the throttle body to cool the charge air going into the cylinders)? I hear that you can bump up timing by as much as 3 degrees with no knock."

Bad example, "Hey, I'm thinking of painting my WRX blue with white polka dots because I saw it in the F&FTWO, yO. What do you think?"
Old 05-13-2003, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by gpatmac

Let me attempt to answer first before I go into my diatribe.

I'd tell you that the 3 ECU's are not compatible based on displacement, injector size, and possibly (but I have no way of knowing) pinouts. Actually, I'd guess that all 3 probably look the same and more than likely have the same pinouts, but the maps contained inside are where they would differ.

Asking questions in this forum. Highly encouraged and aligned with the original nature of a forum or newsgroup or BBS. It would just seem that there is a code in the HIIC which says you must ask all questions in a respectful manner and at least have attempted to have done some homework. Also, it has to pertain to something or you risk getting your feelings hurt.

Example, "Hey, what's everyone's opinion on Aquamist (a mechanism for actually spraying water or water and alcohol into the throttle body to cool the charge air going into the cylinders)? I hear that you can bump up timing by as much as 3 degrees with no knock."

Bad example, "Hey, I'm thinking of painting my WRX blue with white polka dots because I saw it in the F&FTWO, yO. What do you think?"
Well actually I was thinking of painting pink polka-dots on my STi just cuz it would look cool. Whadda ya think yo!

Ok, figured that the maps HAD to be different. Was just hoping there was some stupid way to have say 1 ecu on hand that could be swapped between the cars we all own.

Second maybe-not-so-stupid question, but feels like it.

IS there anyway to (how do I say this) re-program a single ecu with say RS and WRX and STI stock maps? Guess Im grasping here, but I am curious... I would imagine any hardware/software that could do this might be `spensive. I always hear of you guys changing the settings on your units (ecu units, dont get wierd ideas) and wondering if that is a way to say do this.

Just exploring possibilities...
Old 05-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
yes it is!

It would just seem that there is a code in the HIIC which says you must ask all questions in a respectful manner and at least have attempted to have done some homework. Also, it has to pertain to something or you risk getting your feelings hurt.
dood, .... that's Everywhere, not just in HIIC!!
Old 05-13-2003, 10:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally posted by Nolimit
yes it is!

dood, .... that's Everywhere, not just in HIIC!!
No it ain't. Outside of the virtual world, if someone spoke to me like some folks speak to people in here (not so much in here, but in nasioc, et al.) I am going to bring them down a notch.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:18 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
I am going to bring them down a notch.

word
Old 05-13-2003, 11:32 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
No it ain't. Outside of the virtual world, if someone spoke to me like some folks speak to people in here (not so much in here, but in nasioc, et al.) I am going to bring them down a notch.
that's what I'm talking about, .... in other forums. We ALL wish we could get our hands on some of those dip **** posters
Old 05-14-2003, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by DaveWRX
IS there anyway to (how do I say this) re-program a single ecu with say RS and WRX and STI stock maps? Guess Im grasping here, but I am curious... I would imagine any hardware/software that could do this might be `spensive. I always hear of you guys changing the settings on your units (ecu units, dont get wierd ideas) and wondering if that is a way to say do this.

Just exploring possibilities...
Ok, so is this a no go? I guess Im wondering if its possible to say store the stock rs ecu map, stock wrx map and stock sti map and somehow use a single ecu between em. The more I ask the stupider it sounds, but I am curious. Thanks...
Old 05-14-2003, 12:43 AM

Get in touch w/ EuroSport

Dude, Bob told me that he should be getting an extra ECU to be used as a loaner. Give him a call at Eurosport.

Larry AKA WRX151
Old 05-14-2003, 03:05 AM

Re: Get in touch w/ EuroSport

Originally posted by WRX151
Dude, Bob told me that he should be getting an extra ECU to be used as a loaner. Give him a call at Eurosport.

Larry AKA WRX151
Larry,

Thanks a bunch! I'll give him a call first thing in the morning.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:35 PM

Car Info: G35 Coupe (FOR SALE)
Let us know how that works out for ya. I may want to borrow/rent it too.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2003, 11:35 PM

Eurosport

They don't have an ecu in stock.

Thanks for trying though.