STI Blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
I think I mentioned this, but a recirculating bov will not be very loud, ... that's b/c it is venting into the intake tract.

An atmospheric venting bov is what you'll have to use in order to get the 'sound' you're looking for.

The performance losses from an externally venting bov will probably be small, if any, as I mentioned before. It's going to cause you to run rich, and like I said, that could be useful sometimes (as in, you were in a leaner condition for some reason or another, as in you probably have some sort of engine management causing that condition).
It''ll probably affect your gas mileage too, as in a bit worse.
The only bov I wouldn't recommend that I've had experience with, is the GFB's one (Go Fast Bits). So there's Blitz, TurboXS, HKS, Forge, ......... and I can't think of any others right now, I'm still drunk.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:13 PM
Where is my beer?

Originally posted by mehlt
bao ling,

I would believe Nolimit's comments and if you still aren't convince start talking to WRX tuners on the mainland (Shiv, etc..) How long has your mechanic friend been working on Subaru's and what are they basing their comments on?
Thanks mehlt

boa ling, ... just so you know, I'm not a fan of spreading false information. And sorry, but your mechanic friend is wrong. If you don't want to believe me, take mehlt's advice, and contact some of the Top Subaru tuners in the Country.

.... and just b/c you don't notice any performance difference, doesn't mean it's not happening.
Like I said, ...... it's a trade off, it's not going to hurt anything per say, so if you want one, then use it. AND like I said, ........

[lil sis]I got's one on my cahr!!!![/lil sis]
Old 09-01-2003, 05:57 PM

I think SCC had an article on BOVs a few issues ago. They even talked about the Subaru BOV.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
w/o a bov, you might break throttle bodies left and right. remember the signal car about 2 drift events ago? they went through 3-4 tb's. who gives a crap if things are free.

b

nolimit, where is the thing about the GFB bov? i missed it. is it for the regular ones or the stealth one? thanks b
Old 09-01-2003, 06:41 PM
Where is my beer?

A couple guys here used the GFB bov, ... Mike was one of them, that thing sucked so bad!!! (i mean it blew too much )
It wasn't the stealth one, so I'm not sure if it's any better. The problem was with it opening all the damn time, if you were at partial throttle, it would blow off when it should be keeping it mouth shut!! (sounds like some people I know!! )
Old 09-01-2003, 06:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally posted by Nolimit
oh yeah, ... and the reason the stock bov recirculates into the intake tract is b/c the air that it releases is already 'measured' by the ecu, so releasing that air into the atmosphere 'messes' with the ecu's calculations of what fuel, etc, etc should be.

I tried to put that as simple as possibble.
One last thing to add to this. It messes with the ECU's calculations, but the ECU is 'self-learning'. After a while, the ECU recreates it's long-term fuel trim to compensate. Not necessarily correctly, neither.

In my case, I put a atmo on in order to combat an 'after-shift' leaness, but I don't think that it is doing the trick any longer.

Hard to tell.

Of course, Sean or whoever, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Where is my beer?

In your case Pat, that would be an example of an "after-shift" lean condition, ... caused by tuning of the UTEC.
I believe the ECU's 'self-learning' to be a never ending cycle (as in it's just going to try and go back and forth to what it 'thinks' it should be, and what it's seeing), .... so it's never going to be able to fully compensate, imo.

OKAY, we've beat the sh*t out of this dead horse!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 03:40 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx
Originally posted by kscsentragtr
alright well me and my friend are planning to get BOV's for our wrxs... and i would be lying if i said that i didnt care about the "pshhhhh" sound... (alright give it to me flammers)... anyways... my friend and i wanted to buy a BOV that wouldnt mess up our cars (like how nolimit was saying) and that was loud... and i know i asked this before but i never really got a good response... What BOV would everyone recommend? Recirculating or Atmosphere?? Oh and what BOV do you have in your car???
i have the HKS blow off valve wiht the purple insert on, kinda sounds like a blitz, also got the triple fin so i can sound like that birdy again, and of course the recirculation valve so i can stop eating gas! damn....that blow off vavle of mines sure eats a lot of gas on my car now!
Old 09-04-2003, 12:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: "the loud one"
Originally posted by Mach5WRX
I like *****
i love my girlfriends' *****!!!!....
Old 09-04-2003, 12:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: "the loud one"
Originally posted by b_drift
w/o a bov, you might break throttle bodies left and right. remember the signal car about 2 drift events ago? they went through 3-4 tb's. who gives a crap if things are free.

b

nolimit, where is the thing about the GFB bov? i missed it. is it for the regular ones or the stealth one? thanks b

but dont you just love the compressor surge sound?....i love it!!!!

Quick Reply: STI Blow off valve