View Poll Results: Stage 2 or CBE for 09 WRX?
Stage 2
76.19%
Just CBE
23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Stage two or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:16 AM

Car Info: WRB '08 WRX 5 Door
i got the tsudo turbo back as well as the AP stage 2 tune...i'm really happy with it.
mine is an 08 though, so not sure exactly how much better the 09's do with it.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:00 AM

Car Info: 14 m235i
I wanna thank everyone for their input.

I'm pretty sure most of you guys had to go through what I'm thinking now. Whether to keep the warranty or not. I know it's a pay to play game and it's ultimately up to me to decide whether the benefits/gains are worth the costs/risks. Of course whatever I do will probably well known to Servco since I'm pretty sure the guys check out this site plus I wouldn't want to commit warranty fraud.

As of this morning I'm leaning towards cbe because I just want to hear my suby rumble. I think the downpipe might make the car a little louder than what I'm looking for.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:03 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Don't worry about the guys punking you out. Small their boto.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:09 AM

nvm I'm reading up on warranty. I'm taking a risk on anything aftermarket, but I am comfortable enough that a cbe will not break my car. It would be up to SOA to prove if it breaks something in my engine (ie if the freer flow has a negative effect on the car, etc, etc.) But I know they can't deny something like if the frame isn't properly welded and try to blame it on the exhaust.

Last edited by steak; 02-27-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:37 AM

Car Info: 05 wrb wrx wagon
jay, just go cat back and a stage 1. i'm running that now and it's plenty quick when it needs to be. to hell with ppl revving you out and whatnot, you don't wanna race them anyway. i had a guy try to run me off the freeway 3 times the other day because i was trying to change lanes and sped up a little to get in front of him. no downshift or cutting off, and dude just got super nuts on me. just stay away from *******s like that and mod your car for yourself.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:41 AM

Ah yes, I wanted to get feedback from you since you have the setup I'm going after. I'm just a little scared about the AP since I know anything that affect EM will probably void the warranty (I know you can revert it back, but I hear they can check that too).
Old 02-27-2010, 10:46 AM

Car Info: 2015 CWP STI
I get punked by slower cars more than faster cars, lol. A CBE alone will net you hardly any difference, but a full exhaust (header, up, dp, cbe) will net you more.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:37 PM

Car Info: Renault Clio RS R27
as long you don't get punked in traffic it is alright...
Because in traffic they can stay on your *** for a whole hour!!!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:01 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Wow really... Punked? Jay, for reals... Take any of these fools to an actual ROAD... Meaning not a freeway ( grandmas lincon can go fast on a fing freeway ) and see how they do. Our cars are not meant to rip hyabusas apart, they are meant to hold an agressive line on gravel and road courses. ( at least that was the original idea ).

Think about it this way. You know you are superior, they know you are superior ( why would they even bother if not? ) so just let them ebmarras themselves. I've had two guys get on me on the freeway before with a cop behind them, guess who got punked that time?

But in the end.... FULL exhaust or no exhaust, there is no reason to spend $800 on a cool catback when the big restriction is in your downpipe. Wait until you can do a true stage 2 ( x-pipe, uppipe, down, Cbe ) and an AP, IMO.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:15 PM

Car Info: 05 wrb wrx wagon
Originally Posted by steak
Ah yes, I wanted to get feedback from you since you have the setup I'm going after. I'm just a little scared about the AP since I know anything that affect EM will probably void the warranty (I know you can revert it back, but I hear they can check that too).
just don't run a downpipe if i want to keep warranty. you should be ok man. i ordered mine from perrin, stage 1 kit. you get the AP, a perrin stage 1 map (which will give you 300 ftlb/tq! at the wheels) drop in air filter (which lets you hear the turbo spool, not super loud but still pretty awesome), and a shorty antenna (+5hp right there ) for $600.

i'm actually still running the cobb stage 1 map because i wanted a "seat of the pants" comparison to the perrin tune. one thing is for sure though, with just the cobb tune and the drop in, the car isn't sluggish anymore in the 2500-3000 rpm range. once that boost comes on, you can feel quite a difference over stock.

Last edited by mokeOne; 02-27-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:49 PM

hm, i have a hard time believing that stage one is ok with servco, i'll try to get in contact with shaggy or them.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:53 PM

Car Info: 08 LR STI
Angry last time i ever post in a thread started by steak

Originally Posted by mokeOne
i mentioned to shaggy that i was getting an AP, he told me stage 1 is ok, just don't run a downpipe if i want to keep my warranty. so you should be ok man. i ordered mine from perrin, stage 1 kit. you get the AP, a perrin stage 1 map (which will give you 300 ftlb/tq! at the wheels) drop in air filter (which lets you hear the turbo spool, not super loud but still pretty awesome), and a shorty antenna (+5hp right there ) for $600.

i'm actually still running the cobb stage 1 map because i wanted a "seat of the pants" comparison to the perrin tune. one thing is for sure though, with just the cobb tune and the drop in, the car isn't sluggish anymore in the 2500-3000 rpm range. once that boost comes on, you can feel quite a difference over stock.
Originally Posted by steak
hm, i have a hard time believing that stage one is ok with servco, i'll try to get in contact with shaggy or them.
SUBARU is not ok with stage one PERIOD. stage one means modifying your ecu. if they find out you modified your ecu, bye bye warranty on just about anything controlled by it (including engine). furthermore, if i was SUBARU and you wanted to get something covered under warranty, i'd be checking various forums to investigate how much you have or haven't modified your car, but that's just me.

when shaggy said going stage one is ok, i believe it's because (from research on a different site) the AP can be unmarried and SUBARU might not be able to see the ecu was modified at all. do your own research to find out how they might be able to tell.

if you did some research on your own instead of asking for things to be handed to you, i might actually feel sorry for what i'm saying now. plus, what a bunch of other people have said here and your previous threads, IT'S YOUR CAR. MOD IT HOW YOU WANT TO, NOT BECAUSE OTHER PEOPLE THINK THIS OR THAT IS COOL. but i wore my grumpy shirt for you last night just in case you showed up.

maybe i should change my name to grumpy_doe807?
Old 02-27-2010, 08:37 PM

Buddy, I'm sorry I irritate the **** out of you. I check NASIOC, 3GWRX, IWSTI, and i-club for my research. Yes, my previous posts often involve asking other people for their opinions. If this is the wrong way to do things, then my bad. I'm not asking for information to be handed over on a silver platter. I think before I post, and I'm sorry you probably disagree. If I'm asking, it means I don't know and I'm trying to find out.

PS - I think an unamused shirt would be funnier :-)
Old 02-27-2010, 09:01 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
Let me make this pretty clear bro. YOU GOTTA PAY TO PLAY! plain and simple. Subaru will not replace parts if it was caused by after market parts.

if you must have an exhaust get a CBE (at your own risk) you can always still mess something up but DP are the key to blowing your motor and the easiest way to void your warranty.

DP= boost creep/running lean = buh bye motor

Example:
If your a/c went out. we cannot say "hey look you have a rear sway bar so that caused your a/c to go out." That's 2 unrelated items..... but if you have a FMIC and your poor install of the part damaged your a/c then that will void it since it was your fault, or if the FMIC was rubbing on the a/c condenser causing it to leak which then that would make it relevant on it being the after market part causing the damage.

AP's ARE NOT COVERED UNDER SUBARU WARRANTY'S: Factory warranty ARE for the factory parts and tune. If you alter your ECU's map and it cause's damage why would that be Subaru's fault? YOU GOTTA PAY TO PLAY!!!

there are lots of guys out there who don't care about there warranty's and but the car to mod it and that was there choice.

You need to make that choice........ I honestly would tell you to STOP! dont mod your car. You seem very worried about it so just let it be.

In the end I do not make the final call when it will come to your warranty and it is not my choice if you get it voided or not....... you can ask all my customers on here...... every single one that i sell a performance car to I tell then these simple rules of modding and they can testify to me saying it "YOU GOTTA PAY TO PLAY!"

So man up do you wanna mod or not the choice is your just know the risk you take.

on one last note.......... If your car is modded and you revert it to stock because you want to claim warranty that is considered FRAUD! the Subaru warranty only cover's OEM Subaru PARTS
Old 02-27-2010, 09:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
^^^Hey **** I don't care about my warranty....explains why I had a TBE with less than 500 miles on my STI back in 05....oops did I say that out loud...damn there goes my warranty....hey SOA or FHI if you are reading this my 05 STI motor now resides in a 01 Impreza can I get it covered under the warranty? I promise it is still stock.

Quick Reply: Stage two or not?