speeding ticket..

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 07:30 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Originally Posted by lostUNCERTAIN
The officer did NOT write down the model of my car..

he wrote only the make

is he required to?
NO he isn't required since he has your license plate number
Old 11-16-2006, 08:29 PM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
I say fight it.......tell the judge that you was unaware of the speed you was going, and tell him that you were just flowing with the speed of traffic......Let him know this is your first time and it won't happen again......just be humble.... good luck bro
Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
hehe. Well I really think it depends on the judge, but you might not want to state you were following the flow of traffic.

I was waiting for my turn once in court, and heard about 2 people say that. The judge was very respectful but stern; he stated "Just because other people are speeding doesn't make it okay for you to speed."

haha..

Sorry to hear about your ticket. Seriously, although the people who drive with a death wish never get their share of tickets, you have no choice but to drive slow.. unless you are ab-so-lutely sure there is no one around. :0
Old 11-16-2006, 09:41 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Originally Posted by Haole-Pino
I say fight it.......tell the judge that you was unaware of the speed you was going, and tell him that you were just flowing with the speed of traffic......Let him know this is your first time and it won't happen again......just be humble.... good luck bro
you shouldn't say that you were unaware of the speed you were going since it makes you sound careless and unaware of your surroundings. further makes the judge not want you on the streets driving.

Jon
Old 11-16-2006, 11:14 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
I always play the "I was watching the road." It's worked well for me. I got popped exactly one week ago for 49 over the limit (in a 45). That's 94 in a 45 for mathematically challenged. I bowed my head, exposed my throat like a weaker dog in the pack, and said yes sir, fulling admitting the error of my ways. The officer came back with a ticket citing 13 over the limit. Professional behavior is usually worth something, and a military ID is usuallly worth more. I was checking my new shift light, apologized that I don't normally drive like a fool (a little white lie) and thanked the officer. I wasn't racing anyone and immediately pulled over as soon as I saw him. I'm sure he heard me coming. One other important thing. Usually, if you call the court or prosecuter and agree to plead guilty to a lesser drive or fine, they'll let you. I have not been turned down in over ten years. Matter of fact I've never been turned down.

San
Old 11-17-2006, 12:44 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
Well, Pete I guess you have to join the military then.

Flowing with the traffic doesn't cut it. It will only make you look incompetent (Not saying you are Dave). So I would use something else.

The discrepancy should be in the street area, and the speed you were going over.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:17 PM

Car Info: '13 WRX Hatch OBP
Chances are if you get pulled over by a solo bike officer or any traffic unit you are gonna get a ticket. That is their job, that is what they are paid to do. I have worked with a lot of the traffic guys and all of them are cool. Almost always it is never personal they are tasked with giving citations so they do, however if you start questioning their credibilty it can turn personal. That is probably why he started measuring everything around your car. Just be forwarned most traffic guys have the motto "If I get out of my car (or off my bike) the person is getting a tag."

But I would say fight it, you have nothing to lose. Go in front of the judge, be respectful, and tell the judge your side you might get it reduced (or if your really lucky dropped.)

My advice compounds on what San said, even if you think the officer is being a ***, be respectful, answer the questions he/she gives you in a respectfull manner (we can tell when someone is being a smartass). You may still get a ticket from some officers, but the ones who are on the fence about writing you a ticket might just let you go with a warning. But if you come off and start questiong why they pulled you over that will **** them off and is almost always a guarenteed tag.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:43 PM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
^^Werd...lets remember folks that these guys are doing the job they are asked to do. i'm sure most o hem don't like giving people tickets but it's what they have to do to make it safe for everyone. i'm no angel, i recently got pulled over for going way too fast in a 35mph zone. i was about to get on the freeway and was a little "agressive" on the gas. i was respectfull and didn't go asking for the gun and this and that. i got off with a warning. if they really wanted to be dicks about it they would bust you for more than just speeding, but when they are doing speed enforcement thats all they are conserned with...unless you make them angry. so just be polite, take the ticket if you get one, and thank the officer for doing his job. fight the ticket in court if your gonna fight it but lets remember who keeps people from stealing your car in the first place.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:01 AM

Oh Dan, that officer never turn in the ticket. I heard nothing for the past two months. :banana:
Old 11-18-2006, 01:13 AM

Car Info: Storme..
UPDATE!!!

the speed limit zone I was in was in fact a 50mph limit zone..

the officer was posted AFTER the sign.. about 60 feet after..

my ticket says I was in a 45 mph zone..
Old 11-18-2006, 05:11 AM

Car Info: 04 WRB WRX
if thats the case you can possibly get it thrown out...i had one thrown out because the cop forgot to put how far he was when he lasered me on H1...check the ticket closely, and if you think there is a slight possiblity you can fight it the go to court for it, i went and the judge found that on the ticket and i never noticed, thank god too cause mine was for 85 in a 55, hella expensive...slowed down alot after that...weird thing i used to speed all the time in my bone stock 99 jetta GL, but drive like a saint in my wrx, well almost like a saint
Old 11-18-2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by lostUNCERTAIN
UPDATE!!!

the speed limit zone I was in was in fact a 50mph limit zone..

the officer was posted AFTER the sign.. about 60 feet after..

my ticket says I was in a 45 mph zone..
Good job Pete! It's probably going to get thrown out. How did you find that out? PM me if you want.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by kirbwrx
if thats the case you can possibly get it thrown out...i had one thrown out because the cop forgot to put how far he was when he lasered me on H1...check the ticket closely, and if you think there is a slight possiblity you can fight it the go to court for it, i went and the judge found that on the ticket and i never noticed, thank god too cause mine was for 85 in a 55, hella expensive...slowed down alot after that...weird thing i used to speed all the time in my bone stock 99 jetta GL, but drive like a saint in my wrx, well almost like a saint
Yeah, used to drive very spirited w/ my Previa. Not a single harassment by the popos... it's all about the cars we drive.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:07 PM

Car Info: Storme..
well I back tracked today..

to see if I was really in a 45zone

the cop was hiding behind a pillar that holds the Kapiolani Off Ramp (going west bound)

the pillar is way over 60 ft, it's almost 150 ft AFTER the 50mph limit sign
Old 11-18-2006, 11:43 PM

Car Info: kitanai kuroi kuruma
You should fight it. The cop is making his own 'law' by making the ticket more than it has to be. That within itself is a reason to fight it.

If i'm not mistaken if you are going more than 20 over the speed limit it becomes a more serious violation and will definitely be reported to your insurance company. If it's less than 20 over the speed limit then the only way your insurance company will find out is if they run a report on your driving history (usually done when you renew your insurance coverage), but not always. But the fact that you're young and drive a sports car probably means they'll run the report.

There is no harm in trying to fight the ticket and you have a solid case against it. You have to remember, you're not just going to be paying for this ticket now but for several YEARS; everytime you pay your insurance premium.

Good luck

Quick Reply: speeding ticket..