speeding ticket..

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 11:36 AM

Car Info: Storme..
speeding ticket..

im on H1, going hawaii kai bound, from UH..

i get into my left lane and i pass a solo bike cop.. and get pulled over..

68 in a 50 zone.. and obstructed rear license plate (i have a clear cover, tinted)

i do the whole thingy..

then I ask if I could see the speed gun. he asks "Why?"

"If I was really going 68, I want to know if it's true"

he gets mad and says "Don't get wise with me. Why would I risk my life pulling somebody over without a reason?" "You're asking for another ticket, I'm giving you a 68 in a 45mph"

so I have a 172 dollar + 70 dollar ticket..

fightable?
Old 11-16-2006, 11:45 AM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
kinda difficult to say. i'm not 100% but i don't think they have to show you the gun. was the cop stationary or was he moving also? the obstructed rear plate will probably get thrown out. go over the ticket really well for discrepencies and if there is any mistakes it will get thrown out, otherwise just suck it up and be more careful. GL
Old 11-16-2006, 11:48 AM

the thing was I didnt see him use anything?

I don't think he even had a speed measuring device?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:02 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
they do not have to show you the gun!! when i went to court i heard like 3 ppls say the officer didn't show me the gun and that judge said they don't have to. and by the 3rd guy the judge was pissed b/c they weren't listining to the other guys.

the licsene plate cover thing can get thrown out (depeneding on the judge and how he feels) as long as you tell him you fixed it and didn't know you couldn't have it on your car. just say u took it off.

if the cop said you were doing 68 in a 50 zone then changed it to 68 in a 45zone you can get it thrown out by going back and taking pics that it was a 50mph zone and say the cop was changing the price of the ticket b/c you asked him to see the gun. he has to give u the right ticket not make up his own speed limit zone.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:04 PM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT Lmt
Radar guns dont have to be hand held these days. Most are but not all... He could have been radio'd from someone else with the gun too. I do know speeding past a police officer is just asking for it. If you saw him why not slow down to the limit?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:08 PM

in hawaii they use lasers not radar
Old 11-16-2006, 12:13 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
shaggy the ticket expert

anyway, if you were speeding and got caught take the penalties that come with it. If you honestly weren't speeding is there a way that you can prove that you weren't. regarding the license plate thing... If It's your plate isn't clearly visible from a few feet away from your car since it's tinted then you may not be able to have that thrown out. You'll need to prove that your license place is visible. The court system isn't about lying and cheating it. Innocent until proven guilty. don't try to beat the system. but in most cases it's guilty until proven innocent.

also, i don't know what modifications you've done to your car...etc. but if you've done wheel upgrade and have 18" wheels on it that will compromise your speedometer read out. If the cop was in motion rather than stationary with a laser they do have techniques that they use to determine very accurately what speed you were traveling at. This does hold up in court. Regardless of what the posted speed limit was, if you were traveling over the speed limit at all you are guilty. I'm not an angel and am not saying that I always abide by the speed limits posted.

if you're going to fight it... good luck

Jon
Old 11-16-2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by iNfEk
shaggy the ticket expert

Jon
whats that s'pose to mean? for the thing over the plate i had that ticket b4. the judge asked me i didn't even bring it up he said " did you fix the licsene plate cover? i said yes i didn't know it was iilegal cause mines was clear." so he dropped that charge i was willing to pay it. and you of all ppls should know that if the speed is posted at 50mph the cop cannot change it to 45mhp (your dad's a cop right). regardless of your speed. the officer has to also follow the law. don't come at me with wise remarks like that. when i'm stating the facts. but if it was a 45mph zone then he should pay the fine b/c thats 23mph over but if it was a 50mph that's only 18mph over and that a big difference in the fine.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:28 PM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
^^good points jon...but then you might have given him another excuse. do you have recon pete? depending on the difference the wheels make on your spedo you could arge that as a possible explanation. if you had just put them on and were unaware that they change the readout on your speedo then they might cut you a break. idk, but i would be happy you didn't get more and pay what you think you sholud.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 91sleeper
^^good points jon...but then you might have given him another excuse. do you have recon pete? depending on the difference the wheels make on your spedo you could arge that as a possible explanation. if you had just put them on and were unaware that they change the readout on your speedo then they might cut you a break. idk, but i would be happy you didn't get more and pay what you think you sholud.
he does have recon don't yeh remeber him asking all kine's of question about it b4 he got it.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:33 PM

he was hiding.. i did not see him..

Anybody know the King st offramp, going eastbound on H1..

there is this pillar he hid behind, I saw him in my rear view after I passed him..

the zone before that is a 45mph zone.. but after it is a 50 mph zone..

he said "don't get wise with me or I'll get real technical and write you a ticket for the previous zone.."
Old 11-16-2006, 12:35 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
shaggy... your so EMO. I'm just messing with you dude. stop being so sensitive. LOL

anyway, your statement says it all. even though you had a clear license plate cover. you said that you didn't know it was illegal to have.

yes my dad is a POLICE OFFICER. if he changed the speed limit in that area, yes he was wrong on the ticket but that doesn't mean that the ticket will be thrown out. I never said anything about that. All i said was that if you were speeding that is your fault.

yes there is a fine difference but that is for your to take up with the judge. why are you fighting peters battle anyway? shaggy are you going for saint hood?

regardless of YOUR previous situation this is Peters ticket. Just because the judge did that for you doesn't mean that he'll do it for Peter. Every judge is different AND can determine how much leniency to provide to the defendant. I'm not saying that every judge has their own laws they abide by but I am saying that if you were speeding regardless of the posted speed limit whether it is 45/50/35/60.... if you were over that in any way shape or form you are speeding.

so we don't have a battle royal going on in Peter's thread about the comment I made. I just said that because every ticket situation that comes up you seem to have a personal experience to go along with the trouble posted. I also did put at the end implying that I'm joking. would you feel better if I said (OH YEAH SHAGGY I'M JOKING) at the end of the statement. YOU'VE BECOME SO EMO lately.

Good luck Peter,

Jon
Old 11-16-2006, 12:41 PM

gotcha Jon.. I totally admit I was speeding... I guess I'm just bitter at how he reacted when I asked him about the gun. (keep in mind I did not wise up or anything, I asked very politely)

It was so odd because I could have sworn I was flowing with traffic pretty smoothly..

I guess an "Oh Well" is due..
Old 11-16-2006, 12:42 PM

middle lane riding from now on!!
Old 11-16-2006, 12:47 PM

if you really read my post i said it can get thrown out i never said it will get throw out. and for the cop changing the speed limit i have had my personal tickets get thrown out for less like as they miss spelled my name. it all depends on the judge like i said. peter asked for advice so i gave my opinion. and by you getting wise with me it seems every post i post somewhere and u respond to me you always have something wise to say so it get irr. if it was every now and then then thats cool but u seem to do it every single time. i never said anything on my other post but this one there was no point of you saying so. and the reason y i know so much is from my younger days when i had lots of tickets and i mean lots. that y when you drive behind me now you don't see me speeding or stuff and you can ask anyone on here even justin that i drive like a grandma now. b/c of my past i cannot afford any tickets. tho i only have one ticket left on my record then i'm at a clean slate again.

Last edited by shaggadelic; 11-16-2006 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply: speeding ticket..